Wiki Posts
Search

How do I get to Sochi?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
How do I get to Sochi?

I'm planning on going to Sochi, Russia in Feb. 2014 for the Winter Olympics and the process is proving to be difficult (hotels in particular), so I thought I'd pick your brains.

My friend and I hoped to spend a few days outside of Russia first before heading to Sochi. My question to you is: from which international cities is it convenient to fly into Sochi? Convenient meaning, direct or one short layover (under 3 hours). Istanbul and Kiev are possibilities, but are there others? We've both already been to Istanbul, so would want to try somewhere new.

We're flying from SFO. I'm Premiere Gold, so I'd prefer to fly UA or Star Alliance, though not a requirement.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
you can travel through IST to stay on STAR
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
How do I get to Sochi?

Develop insane snowboarding skills this week
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
In reality from SFO you are going to have to transit at least twice, so you might as well stay on Star and fly the final leg on Turkish into Sochi -- assuming you can get in (no idea what availability is like). You can:

1) Always see more in Istanbul (though know you have been there)
2) Stop anywhere in Europe (could do CDG, LHR, FRA, MUC, ZRH, CPH from SFO and then onto IST and Sochi) in addition to or instead of IST
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:11 pm

There are LH nonstop flights from Frankfurt.
http://www.examiner.com/article/luft...-2014-olympics
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:19 pm

here's how i'm doing my sochi trip, with costs (for better or worse):

positioning flight: SFO-LAX on UA: $78.90
to moscow: LAX-IAD-GVA-DME on UA, UA, LX: W fare, GPU'd, $928.90
to sochi and back to moscow: DME-AER-DME on S7: $334ish (ugh, but it was the cheapest when i booked)
week in Rome after Sochi: DME-ZRH-FCO-MUC-DME: 25,000 miles
back home: DME-ZRH-IAD-SFO (from that W fare above, also GPU'd)

for now i'm spending a couple days in moscow, then basically flying into sochi for my evening event (curling), dawdling to kill time and then heading right back to the airport for the flight back to moscow since hotels are so expensive and my flight leaves at like 5 AM.

enjoy the games!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:28 am

SAS flies Oslo-Sochi during the games as well.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: Plat Prem Marriott, HHonors Diamond, ExPlat AA
United's site will map the whole thing out for you if you do the search. It is kinda tricky to get into Sochi right now, most flights are pretty booked.
Try KRR, Krasnodar, from Moscow.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nadiyar
United's site will map the whole thing out for you if you do the search. It is kinda tricky to get into Sochi right now, most flights are pretty booked.
Try KRR, Krasnodar, from Moscow.
Agreed. There are a limited number of flights in and out of Sochi and the fares are going way up, particularly if you want to arrive before the games start and/or leave right after they're over. Don't be surprised to see fares north of $3k!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Looks like taking a layover through IST is best option. Can't hurt to have the opportunity to stop by the Turkish lounge! I'm checking LH and SAS routes as well. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

uastarflyer - I've been skiing almost my whole life but will need a couple more years to be Olympic-ready.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:31 pm

Lufthansa has 4 weekly flights from January 24th to March 17th between FRA and Sochi (Airport code AER). Flight numbers LH1474/1475
Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by jonk
here's how i'm doing my sochi trip, with costs (for better or worse):

positioning flight: SFO-LAX on UA: $78.90
to moscow: LAX-IAD-GVA-DME on UA, UA, LX: W fare, GPU'd, $928.90
to sochi and back to moscow: DME-AER-DME on S7: $334ish (ugh, but it was the cheapest when i booked)
week in Rome after Sochi: DME-ZRH-FCO-MUC-DME: 25,000 miles
back home: DME-ZRH-IAD-SFO (from that W fare above, also GPU'd)

for now i'm spending a couple days in moscow, then basically flying into sochi for my evening event (curling), dawdling to kill time and then heading right back to the airport for the flight back to moscow since hotels are so expensive and my flight leaves at like 5 AM.

enjoy the games!

Just as warning for everyone: for this itinierary you will need a Russian visa which allows for three entries. Such visas exist - but they are quite expensive and hard to get ...
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Just as warning for everyone: for this itinierary you will need a Russian visa which allows for three entries. Such visas exist - but they are quite expensive and hard to get ...
Yeah if it helps anyone I believe it cost around $250 or so but the one I got is good for multiple entries over three years. I want to say it's the default option now for tourist visas for US citizens but don't quote me on that.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
How do you get to Sochi?

Practice, practice.

Sorry, somebody had to say it and I never could pass up a good straight line

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.