Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

United Award- BKK-EWR (Best route)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

I am currently booked in business class going from BKK-PEK (Air China) and have a 10 hour layover in Beijing. I know that I can leave the airport and come back without a visa, but not sure where to go. Then flying from PEK-EWR (United).

Is there a better route that will be a nicer plane/better service or a better city to see for the day?

Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jsf423
I am currently booked in business class going from BKK-PEK (Air China) and have a 10 hour layover in Beijing. I know that I can leave the airport and come back without a visa, but not sure where to go. Then flying from PEK-EWR (United).

Is there a better route that will be a nicer plane/better service or a better city to see for the day?

Thanks!
Pretty much anything will be "nicer" than United.

If your BKK-PEK is on a 772, its a great flight, 738, I'd change out of it.
Is there no PEK-JFK available on CA? - that would be far superior to United.

Otherwise, try for BKK-FRA-EWR on TG/UA, BKK-IST-JFK on TK, BKK-TPE-JFK on EVA, BKK-ZRH-EWR on LX/UA

Those are the best one stop options I can think of with flat beds all the way.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Try the other direction:

BKK/FRA on TG or LH then FRA/EWR on LH

BKK/MUC on TG then MUC/EWR on LH

TG and LH are both * alliance. The in flight product of both TG and LH, IMHO, is better than UA.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
agree that there are many better options then what you currently have booked. The issue is going to be finding availability for two... (I believe you are coming back from a honeymoon?)

Your profile does not show any status with airlines, so you may be looking at change fees to alter your route to a better option. Most of the better options (LH) will only open up availability about 2 weeks before the flight...at the earliest. Sometimes, it is only a day or two before. It may be just switching to something that you can find available.

If you can move up to a First Class itinerary, it will really be worth it.

Oh, and Welcome To FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
Q

I would try BKK-HNL-EWR or PEK-HNL-EWR.

With only a 10 hour layover in PEK I wouldn't even leave the airport...bad traffic problems, laungage translation difficulties,etc..

Good luck.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jsf423
I am currently booked in business class going from BKK-PEK (Air China) and have a 10 hour layover in Beijing. I know that I can leave the airport and come back without a visa, but not sure where to go. !
Good question for the China forum. Plenty of things, which generally should involve hiring a driver to get you there and back (although not necessarily).
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by kenziid3

With only a 10 hour layover in PEK I wouldn't even leave the airport...bad traffic problems, laungage translation difficulties,etc..

Good luck.
Curious, is there an airline that flies BKK-HNL? I never found such a route....
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Hop up to TPE and fly Eva back. There are some great reports about their service. Just make sure to preorder a meal, seems that you get better quality that way.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I would suggest PEK-NRT-JFK/IAD in NH. NH is easier to get awards on NRT-IAD, and not to mention NRT-JFK has 2 flights.

Good luck.
There are no such routings of BKK-HNL or PEK-HNL, please don't suggest something don't and never exist.

And I wouldn't suggest HNL-EWR to anyone neither especially using miles, it is the worst way to burn miles on an int'l C award, other than the flat bed, the 10 hours flights you only get domestic F service.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 12, 2013 at 5:33 pm
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I would suggest PEK-NRT-JFK/IAD in NH. NH is easier to get awards on NRT-IAD, and not to mention NRT-JFK has 2 flights.

There are no such routings of BKK-HNL or PEK-HNL, please don't suggest something don't and never exist.
I have flown this route 4 times a year for the last several years, connecting of course thru NRT.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I have flown this route 4 times a year for the last several years, connecting of course thru NRT.
NRT-HNL is either UA or NH, neither are good options for this route, NH is bad seat on the 763, UA is bad food, even if one route back to ICN, OZ's ICN-HNL is using 333, which also mean bad seat.

For mileage run purpose, I wouldn't mind to suggest HNL, but for C class awards, it should be the last option for anyone should choose from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.