Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: N/A
What is the UA mileage cost to upgrade from NYC - SE Asia to business?

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: N/A
Bump for Eva

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JBG89
Bump for Eva

Thanks!
Suggest you go to the UA website, and look at the "Star Alliance Upgrade" chart.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:01 am

My experience with upgrading BR using SAUA

Hey everyone. I wanted to write a post to share my experience with doing SAUA on my BR flights, including some anomalies I've found. To start, I think this feature is awesome when it actually works - I get to fly Royal Laurel to visit my family in Taiwan for about 1/2 the price (depending on how you calculate the cost of 30k miles) of a business class ticket

1st experience: was this past August. I read through this thread and armed with the info of searching for I class awards on United's website (and expertflyer), I found that there was availability for both my outbound and return legs (LAX-TPE). I then purchased a Y class round trip economy fare directly on EVA's website for the same dates. I immediately then went to United's website to try to do the SAUA. To my surprise, it only allowed me to upgrade my outbound leg! For the return leg, it told me that there was no availability, but that I could be put on the waiting list. This was the first anomaly I found since for sure the return leg showed I class availability on both United's website and on Expertflyer. Because of this though I ended up cancelling the EVA ticket within 24 hours and got my money back. I then spent the next couple of weeks doing exhaustive searches of business class availability on EVA's and United's websites to try to figure out how their systems worked together. During that time, something funky happened where all of the EVA business class award seats suddenly disappeared from United's website except for flights that were within 2 weeks of travel. I could still find economy awards that were 1 month, 2 months, further out, etc. just not business class awards. Since I had a hard date for when I had to travel to Taiwan, I ended up just using points to book a one way business class award on EVA within the 2 week window. I was going to be in Taiwan for 4 weeks total so I figured that I would chance it and try to get another business class award 2 weeks before I needed to return to the US.

After about a week in Taiwan, I was anxious to try to figure out my flight home so randomly one day I searched United's website for I class awards thinking that I wouldn't be able to find anything further than 2 weeks out. To my surprise, the I class magically reappeared on United's website again! At this point instead of using just my points again, I decided to give the SAUA another go. I purchased a one way Y fare on EVA's website and immediately went to United's website to do the SAUA. It worked perfectly this time and I flew home in RL.

2nd experience: 3 weeks ago, I started to research tickets again for LAX-TPE. The outbound would be in Nov, but the return was for mid-Dec. United's website had I class availability for the outbound, but none for any of the days on or around my mid-Dec return date. I thought maybe it was the whole 2 week restriction thing again so I decided I would risk it and purchased a B class economy ticket from a Chinese travel agency in LA. My outbound flight upgraded with no problem as expected, but here's where I encountered my 2nd anomaly with this process. When I searched on United's website and expertflyer for the specific flight and date of my return leg, nothing showed up at all. Meaning the flight didn't even show up in the results list (no standard/saver economy or business seats at all). However I thought it wouldn't hurt to put myself on the waiting list for the upgrade so I went through the SAUA process anyways on United's website. To my surprise...it upgraded me successfully! I now have a confirmed flight back in RL in mid-Dec, even though United's website still shows no award seats available during those dates.

Anyhow sorry for the long and boring post, but thought I'd share in case others can benefit from my experience. Cheers!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by wickedlfe
To my surprise...it upgraded me successfully! I now have a confirmed flight back in RL in mid-Dec, even though United's website still shows no award seats available during those dates.

Anyhow sorry for the long and boring post, but thought I'd share in case others can benefit from my experience. Cheers!
When you look at your upgraded reservation what class of service does it show you booked in? I suspect that you will find that you are booked into Z class not I. While there is a lot of evidence that for SAUA we should be searching for I class when it comes to BR it seams that they actually upgrade into Z... in otherwords they manage upgrades and flight awards as different inventory buckets. So for the flights that did not process as you were expecting I suspect it has to do with different availability between I and Z classes.

DAK
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Do Chinese travel agencies typically have cheaper B fares or are they comparable to what's on BR's website?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:49 am

dkerr - you are right. the ticket now says "Booking Class: Royal Laurel Class/Z". I haven't searched for Z class before on Expertflyer. I'll give that a shot next time!

klavkonz - its hit or miss. One time I called and the price was the same as Eva's website. Another time I think it was actually $100-200 cheaper through the Chinese travel agent.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum; Marriott Rewards Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wickedlfe
Hey everyone. I wanted to write a post to share my experience with doing SAUA on my BR flights, including some anomalies I've found. To start, I think this feature is awesome when it actually works - I get to fly Royal Laurel to visit my family in Taiwan for about 1/2 the price (depending on how you calculate the cost of 30k miles) of a business class ticket

1st experience: was this past August. I read through this thread and armed with the info of searching for I class awards on United's website (and expertflyer), I found that there was availability for both my outbound and return legs (LAX-TPE). I then purchased a Y class round trip economy fare directly on EVA's website for the same dates. I immediately then went to United's website to try to do the SAUA. To my surprise, it only allowed me to upgrade my outbound leg! For the return leg, it told me that there was no availability, but that I could be put on the waiting list. This was the first anomaly I found since for sure the return leg showed I class availability on both United's website and on Expertflyer. Because of this though I ended up cancelling the EVA ticket within 24 hours and got my money back. I then spent the next couple of weeks doing exhaustive searches of business class availability on EVA's and United's websites to try to figure out how their systems worked together. During that time, something funky happened where all of the EVA business class award seats suddenly disappeared from United's website except for flights that were within 2 weeks of travel. I could still find economy awards that were 1 month, 2 months, further out, etc. just not business class awards. Since I had a hard date for when I had to travel to Taiwan, I ended up just using points to book a one way business class award on EVA within the 2 week window. I was going to be in Taiwan for 4 weeks total so I figured that I would chance it and try to get another business class award 2 weeks before I needed to return to the US.

After about a week in Taiwan, I was anxious to try to figure out my flight home so randomly one day I searched United's website for I class awards thinking that I wouldn't be able to find anything further than 2 weeks out. To my surprise, the I class magically reappeared on United's website again! At this point instead of using just my points again, I decided to give the SAUA another go. I purchased a one way Y fare on EVA's website and immediately went to United's website to do the SAUA. It worked perfectly this time and I flew home in RL.

2nd experience: 3 weeks ago, I started to research tickets again for LAX-TPE. The outbound would be in Nov, but the return was for mid-Dec. United's website had I class availability for the outbound, but none for any of the days on or around my mid-Dec return date. I thought maybe it was the whole 2 week restriction thing again so I decided I would risk it and purchased a B class economy ticket from a Chinese travel agency in LA. My outbound flight upgraded with no problem as expected, but here's where I encountered my 2nd anomaly with this process. When I searched on United's website and expertflyer for the specific flight and date of my return leg, nothing showed up at all. Meaning the flight didn't even show up in the results list (no standard/saver economy or business seats at all). However I thought it wouldn't hurt to put myself on the waiting list for the upgrade so I went through the SAUA process anyways on United's website. To my surprise...it upgraded me successfully! I now have a confirmed flight back in RL in mid-Dec, even though United's website still shows no award seats available during those dates.

Same thing happened to me. No saver availability was shown when I searched on United so I really wasn't expecting much when I attempted to upgrade myself from IAH to TPE, but to my surprise, it went through!!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:12 pm

Hey guys,

This may seem like a stupid question but I've searched around and can't seem to find anyone with a similar experience.

I have a B ticket from SIN - TPE - SFO - LAS (with just SFO - LAS on United and the rest on EVA). Now United rules state that S.Asia - USA *A upgrades cost 30,000 miles, but when I try to upgrade it only lets me do it segment by segment, meaning I'd have to spend 45,000 miles to upgrade myself from SIN all the way to SFO.

Is there any way to get around that and spend just 30,000 miles upgrading myself since it's technically a S.Asia - USA itinerary and is reflected on United as such?

I distinctly remember a colleague paying just 30,000 miles to upgrade himself on a similar itinerary (SIN - SFO) on ANA via NRT. Just wondering... Hmmm
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by puddiemel
Hey guys,

This may seem like a stupid question but I've searched around and can't seem to find anyone with a similar experience.

I have a B ticket from SIN - TPE - SFO - LAS (with just SFO - LAS on United and the rest on EVA). Now United rules state that S.Asia - USA *A upgrades cost 30,000 miles, but when I try to upgrade it only lets me do it segment by segment, meaning I'd have to spend 45,000 miles to upgrade myself from SIN all the way to SFO.

Is there any way to get around that and spend just 30,000 miles upgrading myself since it's technically a S.Asia - USA itinerary and is reflected on United as such?

I distinctly remember a colleague paying just 30,000 miles to upgrade himself on a similar itinerary (SIN - SFO) on ANA via NRT. Just wondering... Hmmm
SAUA are by segment, not by itinerary. So yes you require two awards to upgrade SIN - TPE - SFO as there are two segments in that itinerary. 45,000 miles is correct. This is one of the disadvantages of SAUA.

On the other hand now that SQ have started SIN-SFO non-stop then that flight becomes upgradeable at 30,000 miles. Though I'm quite sure that SQ 'B' fares are a lot more expensive than BR 'B' fares.

DAK
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
SAUA are by segment, not by itinerary. So yes you require two awards to upgrade SIN - TPE - SFO as there are two segments in that itinerary. 45,000 miles is correct. This is one of the disadvantages of SAUA.

On the other hand now that SQ have started SIN-SFO non-stop then that flight becomes upgradeable at 30,000 miles. Though I'm quite sure that SQ 'B' fares are a lot more expensive than BR 'B' fares.

DAK
Oh definitely. The fares are one thing, but I doubt United miles can be used to upgrade on SQ metal, particularly the 777s and the A380s. I remember quite severe limitations set in place.

Also, now that SIN - SFO has PE class, upgrading straight from B seems a loong shot at best. Would like to know if anyone has managed to pull that off!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by puddiemel
Oh definitely. The fares are one thing, but I doubt United miles can be used to upgrade on SQ metal, particularly the 777s and the A380s. I remember quite severe limitations set in place.

Also, now that SIN - SFO has PE class, upgrading straight from B seems a loong shot at best. Would like to know if anyone has managed to pull that off!
SQ is on the list but explicitly excludes A380 and 777-300ER. Says nothing about the A350 that they use on the non-stop route !!! I guess it will take someone actually trying it to see if it works.

Both BR and SQ have a premium economy product. On BR the B class fares definitely upgrade into Z class (business) skipping the premium economy cabin. I do not know about SQ -- that is a fairly new product for them. However the SAUA rules do seem to have changed... they used to say "upgrade to business class" now they say "one cabin upgrade" but do not specifically address premium economy other than to explicitly permit upgrading from PE booking codes (e.g 'K' on BR and 'S' on SQ -- warning, these are the more expensive PE fare classes, so you cannot upgrade from discount PE fares)

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con....aspx#Carriers

DAK
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Question BR RL redemption from UA only T-14d?

Does BR only open RL availability for either straight booking or upgrade at T-14d[ays]?

I either buy 2 seats JFK-TPE-JFK in RL (H,Q) class on BR (695) stock then use UA pts to upgrade or cash for 3 seats CI's PremEcon (W,U,E) for 1 year-old infant & wife coming along.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, Marriott TE, National EE, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
Has anybody ever bought BR economy and upgraded to business with UA RPUs or GPUs?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs
Has anybody ever bought BR economy and upgraded to business with UA RPUs or GPUs?
Huh? Why would you think that would be a possibility?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.