Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also check out this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...itedmiles.html
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Neither thread addresses a question I have. When United's system says upgrade isn't available, there are references that more upgrade inventory might be available closer to flight date. My flight is six weeks out. What is the best strategy to know when to come back and try again? ExpertFlyer doesn't show either I or Z class for the flight, and sorry I'm not a KVM tool user (I don't fly enough for even that small investment, sorry, especially as I am a Mac user without emulator). Do I have to make united's star alliance upgrade request process part of my daily routine for the next 40 days?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
Did you already buy the ticket?
If your dates are flexible, try to buy, upgrade and refund if not within 24 hrs...since the B class fare is about $300 more than the qualifying fare....but buyer beware, takes about a week to get that credit back. Also, that is kind of a pain staking process.

I'm planning a BR flight, trying to use UA miles for the upgrade, and the real question would be is if you stay with the B class ticket if you're wait listed.

The last 2 times I flew out, RL class were not at capacity (once in Feb, once in April).

Let me know how it goes.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Thanks, PacificStandTime. No, no flexibility and also need(ed) to buy through corporate travel. So I have a K class TPE-YVR ticket. ExpertFlyer shows a bunch of seats in both premium economy and business class as "blocked", and it's right now five weeks to travel date. Thus far, UA (where I am Platinum) says no availability each time I've tried.
I don't mind flying premium economy, have done so on ANA similar distances several times and it's just fine, but going up one more would sure be nice.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, EVA Airways
I'm planning a trip SFO-TPE this summer and have around found dates with KVS tool which have upgrades available for EVA.

Does anyone know if I'm allowed to upgrade another family member if she is not traveling on the same day with me? Or what about a family member traveling with me? I would book all their tickets with my account first with EVA for a B fare, than upgrade with United miles. Is this possible?

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:52 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I'm planning a trip SFO-TPE this summer and have around found dates with KVS tool which have upgrades available for EVA.
Welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by cameraboy
Does anyone know if I'm allowed to upgrade another family member if she is not traveling on the same day with me? Or what about a family member traveling with me? I would book all their tickets with my account first with EVA for a B fare, than upgrade with United miles. Is this possible?
Yes, you can -- *A Upgrades can be applied to any PAX of your choice.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:26 pm

Does anyone know the priority that Eva (and for that matter airlines in general release seats). For instance, on Eva, will they give their members on the upgrade wait list priority over releasing SA award, or upgrade space?
Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PacificStandTime
Does anyone know the priority that Eva (and for that matter airlines in general release seats). For instance, on Eva, will they give their members on the upgrade wait list priority over releasing SA award, or upgrade space?
Thanks!
What waitlist? You can't waitlist for a *A upgrade award.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Gold (soon to be Plat), National Exec, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
does an upgraded EVA ticket still earn miles?

Hello FTers...I was wondering if anyone had any experience with upgrading EVA tickets from econ to business and also still being able to credit to UA MP. I just successfully upgraded my B-class fare TPE-SFO in mid-Oct but when I checked my reservation on EVA's website, it changed to Z-class. My previous in July was also converted to Z-class after I used an EVA upgrade certificate and I did not earn any miles to my UA MP account.

Does anyone have any experience with this and whether or not you can still get miles credited for the flight after the upgrade?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
What waitlist? You can't waitlist for a *A upgrade award.
Hi Kacee, thanks for the reply, I mean the BR members who are on wait-list for upgrade. Does BR give their members, who are on the wait-list priority over releasing award inventory to *SA award travel.

KKY2003, when I talked to the staff on the alliance phone lines they confirmed you should receive mileage credit for it.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by kky2003
Hello FTers...I was wondering if anyone had any experience with upgrading EVA tickets from econ to business and also still being able to credit to UA MP. I just successfully upgraded my B-class fare TPE-SFO in mid-Oct but when I checked my reservation on EVA's website, it changed to Z-class. My previous in July was also converted to Z-class after I used an EVA upgrade certificate and I did not earn any miles to my UA MP account.

Does anyone have any experience with this and whether or not you can still get miles credited for the flight after the upgrade?
Check post #13 on this thread. From the webpage: http://www.evaair.com/en-us/infinity...lassification/

Mileage accrual with cabin class upgrade(Booking Z/U class code)
The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applied to transfer to other partner airlines.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by hsumh316; Aug 26, 2014 at 11:42 am
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kky2003

Bolding mine.

BR used to allow only crediting to BR if you use their miles (and I guess instruments) to upgrade. I am not sure if that has changed.

Their system is different. My sister got an op-up last week at the airport - I guess they oversold in Y and Elite. The PNR actually continued to show the Elite booking class but the seat assignment was in RL. The miles credited to MP fine.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by artieb78
I cancelled my B-class ticket that was not upgrading with UA miles and booked a Y-class ticket. Same result.

I've tried calling UA many times - there must be something wrong with their systems. It seems like it is impossible to upgrade an EVA flight with UA miles right now (broken system). Anyone have recent success doing this?
Did you ever get your upgrade? I'm facing the same problem. B class ticket. BR says upgrade is available on flight. Try to upgrade via UA site. No dice. Call UA. No dice.

A year later, and BR and UA systems are still not talking to one another apparently...
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by dc_gooner
Did you ever get your upgrade? I'm facing the same problem. B class ticket. BR says upgrade is available on flight. Try to upgrade via UA site. No dice. Call UA. No dice.

A year later, and BR and UA systems are still not talking to one another apparently...
Anyone have any luck in upgrading B fare to biz? I'm about to try it and just want to see what is the status.

And if anyone can help me search SFO-TPE on 10/9 (midnight flight, doesnt matter which one) if there are any I available? and 10/23~25 TPE-SFO as well.

It would be greatly appreciated. :-:

Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:39 pm

Magic 8 ball says outlook not so good...or check again later. October a little too far out for BR nowadays....
here's my conclusion quest for a summer bump up...which has the same magic 8 ball reading:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...l#post24976419

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.