FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Lounge access for "immediate family" in * lounges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1488303-lounge-access-immediate-family-lounges.html)

bosbjg Dec 3, 2012 3:45 pm

*Gold Lounge Access Rule (Can I bring in my wife and kids)?

I know that you have to be 21 to be a member, and that a member can bring in their kids.

My question is if as *Gold i can bring in my wife and kids - of course when following all the rules about me having access.

What about other *A lounges, is it the same?

heffa Dec 3, 2012 3:48 pm

As a United Club member you can either bring with you 1 companion OR your whole family (spouse + all kids). As *G you might only be able to bring in 1 companion, but many *G lounges (not Lufthansa, of course) are very flexible on that one

scottish_colin Dec 3, 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by heffa (Post 19789870)
As a United Club member you can either bring with you 1 companion OR your whole family (spouse + all kids). As *G you might only be able to bring in 1 companion, but many *G lounges (not Lufthansa, of course) are very flexible on that one

LHR absolutely refused my daughter entry (my wife would have been my 1 companion limit) when I was last there in October. Apparently the tiny can of Pepsi she would have consumed would have put them out of business :P

if1km Dec 3, 2012 4:19 pm

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

WineCountryUA Dec 3, 2012 4:22 pm

*G but not UC member, per *A rules, you will be limited to 1 guest at any *A lounge (including UCs). You might get a small infant but over 2 years old is strictly considered as another person.
Only exception is UC member at only UC lounges can take dependent family members.

azepine00 Dec 3, 2012 4:24 pm

To address this problem I am turning my 2yo twins into A3 *G. Rgn fare will get them almost there. This way they will guest us and we'll continue to bank UA miles. :D

MSPeconomist Dec 3, 2012 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 19790060)
To address this problem I am turning my 2yo twins into A3 *G. Rgn fare will get them almost there. This way they will guest us and we'll continue to bank UA miles. :D

It's not obvious that a young *Gold has lounge access, although of a parent would need to be with them for any hope. IIRC there was a thread in AC about the young Canadian musician with elite status not being allowed to use *A lounges.

Jasper2009 Dec 3, 2012 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 19790110)
It's not obvious that a young *Gold has lounge access, although of a parent would need to be with them for any hope. IIRC there was a thread in AC about the young Canadian musician with elite status not being allowed to use *A lounges.

Correct. Lounge access is still subject to local liquor laws etc. in most countries, particularly when there´s an open bar.

So yes, when a 2yrs old kid walked into a lounge by himself and handed over his Gold card and BP, he may still be refused entry.:D

azepine00 Dec 4, 2012 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 19790110)

Hmmm it is tempting to drop off my kids in the lounge or ship them to some remote destination and spend some time in peace and quiet... but in reality I'll have to accompany them. I can't see any possibily of being denied entry - all you show is boarding passes and *G card of one of the travelers and there is no age on either. :D

prefers1a Dec 5, 2012 6:10 am

I am a LH-SEN (*G) and have, on the two occasions I asked, been able to bring my wife and my two young kids with me into the SEN-Lounge. No issues, although I believe that this is at the whim of the lounge dragon.

Jasper2009 Dec 5, 2012 6:34 am

Originally Posted by prefers1a (Post 19799674)
I am a LH-SEN (*G) and have, on the two occasions I asked, been able to bring my wife and my two young kids with me into the SEN-Lounge. No issues, although I believe that this is at the whim of the lounge dragon.

Not quite. SENs are entitled to bring their family into the SEN lounges. Other airlines have a similarly generous policy for their own elites (e.g. as an AC SE I could take my family into AC MLLs and am also allowed to access the lounges upon arrival).

However, this is NOT an official Star Gold benefit (which allows for one guest only) and does not apply at other airline lounges.

Springbok Viking Jul 26, 2013 1:31 am

Lounge access for "immediate family" in * lounges

Hello,

Does anyone know, wether the possibility of getting lounge access for the "immediate family" also applies for * partner lounges, namely SQ? We are 2 adults traveling with 1 infant.

Thanks

Svantevit Jul 26, 2013 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Springbok Viking (Post 21160297)
Hello,

Does anyone know, wether the possibility of getting lounge access for the "immediate family" also applies for * partner lounges, namely SQ? We are 2 adults traveling with 1 infant.

Thanks

Unfortunately, it does not. But you can always ask nicely and hope for the best. This has worked for me in the past. And since you´re just trying to get an infant as the extra guest, I think you might have a shot at this - it´s not like you´re trying to get three additional adults into the lounge.

Svantevit

oliver2002 Jul 26, 2013 1:56 am

Infant in arm used to be OK... children that can independently walk: no way.

Springbok Viking Jul 26, 2013 2:56 am

Thanks for your swift responses. I'll see if the cute baby trick might work.