Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

What *A route would you take?

What *A route would you take?

Old Jul 16, 13, 9:11 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LAX IAH AMS
Programs: UA GS 1MM
Posts: 941
What *A route would you take?

For my honeymoon next month.

First, let me say that my fiance and I love to fly and be on planes, in lounges, etc together. One of these routes is much longer than the other, but we are 100% ok with that.

Option 1: OZ F/C
LAX-ICN 744 F ICN-HKT 763 C
This is with a 3+ houst connection to enjoy the lounge in ICN

Option 2: LH F - TG F/C
Stilll being determined, but will likely be LAX-FRA 748 F or SNA-DEN-FRA F etc. I will pick up any F seat in the T-14 window on LH to FRA. Connection time in FRA would be 3-4 hours, so plenty of time for FCL.

FRA-BKK TG A380 F BKK-HKT TG 744 C
no time for the lounge in BKK, but we will have plenty of time on the return as we are flying DPS-BKK-CDG in TG F.

What would you pick?
avi8tir is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:30 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,645
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
For my honeymoon next month.

First, let me say that my fiance and I love to fly and be on planes, in lounges, etc together. One of these routes is much longer than the other, but we are 100% ok with that.

Option 1: OZ F/C
LAX-ICN 744 F ICN-HKT 763 C
This is with a 3+ houst connection to enjoy the lounge in ICN

Option 2: LH F - TG F/C
Stilll being determined, but will likely be LAX-FRA 748 F or SNA-DEN-FRA F etc. I will pick up any F seat in the T-14 window on LH to FRA. Connection time in FRA would be 3-4 hours, so plenty of time for FCL.

FRA-BKK TG A380 F BKK-HKT TG 744 C
no time for the lounge in BKK, but we will have plenty of time on the return as we are flying DPS-BKK-CDG in TG F.

What would you pick?
It would be helpful if you provided a list of specific options (as opposed to a list of "we don't know yet - maybe" ideas and also mention your priorities and mention the flight and layover times for each in a way that is easy to read and compare.
FlyWorld is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:31 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Coast, Best Coast
Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Posts: 15,485
as a disclaimer i have never flown LH F/C, TG F/C but i really can't understand why anyone might consider doubling (or, in some cases, more than doubling) their transit time just to get these products en route to a vacation. i'm sure they are wonderful but i can't imagine they are that wonderful relative to a more direct trip on OZ.
PV_Premier is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:31 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: IAH
Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Posts: 846
The latter, no question. LH and TG F in the same itinerary? It doesn't get much better for ground service, and the F hard product on the LH 748s and TG A380s is excellent (soft can be hit-and-miss on TG by all reports).
SeaRaptor is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:42 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco/Tel Aviv/YYZ
Programs: CO 1K-MM
Posts: 10,410
option 2

Stilll being determined, but will likely be LAX-FRA 748 F or SNA-DEN-FRA F etc. I will pick up any F seat in the T-14 window on LH to FRA. Connection time in FRA would be 3-4 hours, so plenty of time for FCL.
entropy is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:45 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
Posts: 205
I'd take the LH/TG routing just to avoid OZ and the bad attitude that airline has taken after the unfortunate incident at SFO. Why they are blaming everyone else on Earth and not taking 1% of responsibility for that accident is beyond me.
Wildfan88 is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:58 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: CLT
Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Posts: 6,550
Option 2.
planeluvr is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 10:11 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,489
Originally Posted by ddrost1 View Post
as a disclaimer i have never flown LH F/C, TG F/C but i really can't understand why anyone might consider doubling (or, in some cases, more than doubling) their transit time just to get these products en route to a vacation. i'm sure they are wonderful but i can't imagine they are that wonderful relative to a more direct trip on OZ.
Well, some people take cruise ships as opposed to flying, or trains instead of flying, because they want the enhanced experience (for them) and are willing to sacrifice time to get them...

My guess is the OP is looking at OZ 201 from LAX (midday departure) + OZ 747 (8 pm departure from ICN, arriving at 12:20 am HKT local time (ugh).

OZ's 763 on ICN-HKT isn't a flatbed in C (it's also C/Y, no F), and isn't great for sleeping, and if you're on a daytime late morning-midafternoon departure from the West Coast (like OZ 201) it's usually difficult to get sleep on the first flight, so by the time you're at NRT/ICN/whatever you probably want some sleep. I know when I did a similar trip (SEA-SFO-NRT-HKG) the NH 763 C seat I was in wasn't uncomfortable for sitting, but I wasn't able to sleep much in it, dead tired as I was.

A trip where you get flatbeds and F all the way might well be preferable, even if you add a few hours. Also, that arrival time (after midnight, getting to a hotel and in your bed 1 or 2-ish) is pretty lousy, even if it does get you there a few hours earlier than routing through Europe (unless the OP and fiance are night owls and want to hit a nightclub or something). I'd totally take a routing that added half a day, had flatbeds and great lounges the whole way, and got me there in the middle of the day...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 16, 13 at 10:17 am
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 10:17 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 4,303
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post

Option 1: OZ F/C
LAX-ICN 744 F ICN-HKT 763 C
This is with a 3+ houst connection to enjoy the lounge in ICN
Having done this OZ route myself, remember you are going to be at the end of a 10 hr flight and it will be the equivalent of enjoying the lounge between 12AM-3AM on your internal clock on Pacific Time. My point being, is that either route, you'll be tired. Aside from the piano and a few photos, I don't remember much after that glass of Johnny Walker Blue
worldtraveller73 is online now  
Old Jul 16, 13, 10:19 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Always on the move
Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Posts: 1,862
Option #2. Especially since you will have the time to enjoy the LH FCT and the other option will not allow you to spend time in the BKK FCL.
goingbananas is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 10:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 3,654
What *A route would you take?

LH will be old F from DEN-FRA on a 744. There is a thread on new F in the LH forum with links to a tool to double check this.
tods27 is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 11:01 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 15
Not completely sure about this myself, but if the OP of taking TG to Bangkok, will they have access to the FCL at FRA? I was under the impression that the connecting flight would have to be on LH for the access to the FCT?
mickeyk178 is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 11:13 am
  #13  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,246
Originally Posted by mickeyk178 View Post
Not completely sure about this myself, but if the OP of taking TG to Bangkok, will they have access to the FCL at FRA? I was under the impression that the connecting flight would have to be on LH for the access to the FCT?
If arriving in LH F the OP will have access to the FCL even if he is departing on TG (but no access to the FCT).
NewbieRunner is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 11:19 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 15
Thank you for clarifying
mickeyk178 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 13, 1:49 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,076
Add me to the LH/TG camp.

I might also look for an NH/TG connection through NRT.
Kacee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: