Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

What *A route would you take?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

For my honeymoon next month.

First, let me say that my fiance and I love to fly and be on planes, in lounges, etc together. One of these routes is much longer than the other, but we are 100% ok with that.

Option 1: OZ F/C
LAX-ICN 744 F ICN-HKT 763 C
This is with a 3+ houst connection to enjoy the lounge in ICN

Option 2: LH F - TG F/C
Stilll being determined, but will likely be LAX-FRA 748 F or SNA-DEN-FRA F etc. I will pick up any F seat in the T-14 window on LH to FRA. Connection time in FRA would be 3-4 hours, so plenty of time for FCL.

FRA-BKK TG A380 F BKK-HKT TG 744 C
no time for the lounge in BKK, but we will have plenty of time on the return as we are flying DPS-BKK-CDG in TG F.

What would you pick?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by avi8tir
For my honeymoon next month.

First, let me say that my fiance and I love to fly and be on planes, in lounges, etc together. One of these routes is much longer than the other, but we are 100% ok with that.

Option 2: LH F - TG F/C
Stilll being determined, but will likely be LAX-FRA 748 F or SNA-DEN-FRA F etc. I will pick up any F seat in the T-14 window on LH to FRA. Connection time in FRA would be 3-4 hours, so plenty of time for FCL.

FRA-BKK TG A380 F BKK-HKT TG 744 C
no time for the lounge in BKK, but we will have plenty of time on the return as we are flying DPS-BKK-CDG in TG F.

What would you pick?
It would be helpful if you provided a list of specific options (as opposed to a list of "we don't know yet - maybe" ideas and also mention your priorities and mention the flight and layover times for each in a way that is easy to read and compare.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
as a disclaimer i have never flown LH F/C, TG F/C but i really can't understand why anyone might consider doubling (or, in some cases, more than doubling) their transit time just to get these products en route to a vacation. i'm sure they are wonderful but i can't imagine they are that wonderful relative to a more direct trip on OZ.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
The latter, no question. LH and TG F in the same itinerary? It doesn't get much better for ground service, and the F hard product on the LH 748s and TG A380s is excellent (soft can be hit-and-miss on TG by all reports).
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
option 2

Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
I'd take the LH/TG routing just to avoid OZ and the bad attitude that airline has taken after the unfortunate incident at SFO. Why they are blaming everyone else on Earth and not taking 1% of responsibility for that accident is beyond me.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Option 2.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ddrost1
as a disclaimer i have never flown LH F/C, TG F/C but i really can't understand why anyone might consider doubling (or, in some cases, more than doubling) their transit time just to get these products en route to a vacation. i'm sure they are wonderful but i can't imagine they are that wonderful relative to a more direct trip on OZ.
Well, some people take cruise ships as opposed to flying, or trains instead of flying, because they want the enhanced experience (for them) and are willing to sacrifice time to get them...

My guess is the OP is looking at OZ 201 from LAX (midday departure) + OZ 747 (8 pm departure from ICN, arriving at 12:20 am HKT local time (ugh).

OZ's 763 on ICN-HKT isn't a flatbed in C (it's also C/Y, no F), and isn't great for sleeping, and if you're on a daytime late morning-midafternoon departure from the West Coast (like OZ 201) it's usually difficult to get sleep on the first flight, so by the time you're at NRT/ICN/whatever you probably want some sleep. I know when I did a similar trip (SEA-SFO-NRT-HKG) the NH 763 C seat I was in wasn't uncomfortable for sitting, but I wasn't able to sleep much in it, dead tired as I was.

A trip where you get flatbeds and F all the way might well be preferable, even if you add a few hours. Also, that arrival time (after midnight, getting to a hotel and in your bed 1 or 2-ish) is pretty lousy, even if it does get you there a few hours earlier than routing through Europe (unless the OP and fiance are night owls and want to hit a nightclub or something). I'd totally take a routing that added half a day, had flatbeds and great lounges the whole way, and got me there in the middle of the day...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 16, 2013 at 9:17 am
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:17 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by avi8tir

Having done this OZ route myself, remember you are going to be at the end of a 10 hr flight and it will be the equivalent of enjoying the lounge between 12AM-3AM on your internal clock on Pacific Time. My point being, is that either route, you'll be tired. Aside from the piano and a few photos, I don't remember much after that glass of Johnny Walker Blue
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Option #2. Especially since you will have the time to enjoy the LH FCT and the other option will not allow you to spend time in the BKK FCL.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium

LH will be old F from DEN-FRA on a 744. There is a thread on new F in the LH forum with links to a tool to double check this.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:01 am

Not completely sure about this myself, but if the OP of taking TG to Bangkok, will they have access to the FCL at FRA? I was under the impression that the connecting flight would have to be on LH for the access to the FCT?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:13 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mickeyk178
Not completely sure about this myself, but if the OP of taking TG to Bangkok, will they have access to the FCL at FRA? I was under the impression that the connecting flight would have to be on LH for the access to the FCT?
If arriving in LH F the OP will have access to the FCL even if he is departing on TG (but no access to the FCT).
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:19 am

Thank you for clarifying
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Add me to the LH/TG camp.

I might also look for an NH/TG connection through NRT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.