Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

UA LAX lounge access question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
Question UA LAX lounge access question

We are flying LAX-IAH on UA and then IAH-IST on TK. Both were purchased as Business Class, although the LAX-IAH segment is labeled "United First". I know we'll have lounge access in Houston since we will be boarding the international flight from there; however, I am wondering if we will have lounge access at LAX since we are connecting to an international flight? I'm thinking not since we are only boarding a domestic flight there. Can someone confirm for me one way or the other? We have no status with *A.

Last edited by LA_FadeAway; Jun 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EXP, SPG-Plat
I believe you should since its in route to international
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by xxmimxx
Correct
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Okay, great! I was hoping that was the case but thought we had to be immediately boarding the international flight for access.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just to be clear, when you say "immediately", you do mean that you are connectint at IAH and not stopping over there?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Maybe I had a misinformed lounge agent, but I was denied access to the LAX UA lounge with a similar scenario. I was LAX-DEN on UA then DEN-FRA on LH booked into A fare through LH. The agent said I would have access in DEN, but honestly I was a bit surprised I wasn't granted access.

Not a huge deal but I didn't push it since I don't fly *A often and I wasn't sure of their partner lounge policies.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I view this scenario differently. Specifically, while you can certainly try, I don't see why UA would be obliged to grant you lounge access in LAX. You are not traveling on an international UA flight nor are you *A gold. Since you are flying international business out of IAH, you will have access to the United Club at IAH pursuant to *A access rules. Those rules may be found here: http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/ The relevant provision states "Customer must be departing from the local airport in International Business Class."
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by daumueller
Correct
Incorrect

Originally Posted by xxmimxx
Offiicially NO.

The star alliance rules stated very clear that one must be departing international in your local airport to get lounge access, which means if your first segment is domestic, you don't get lounge access .

Just the same as if you first segment is C and second segment is F, you don't get to use F lounge at the first segment.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Just to be clear, when you say "immediately", you do mean that you are connectint at IAH and not stopping over there?
Yes, we are connecting with a 3 hour layover in IAH.

This is the part that makes me think we won't get access: "Customer must be departing from the local airport in International Business Class."

I suppose we could ask when we are there, or just not bother.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC

You won't be missing much anyway, the UA Club at LAX is nothing to write home about.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
All my flights out of phl I get lounge access when on International routing and every airport ord, ewr, iad even though I am connecting to domestic city but only SFO sq lounge denied! They said must be departing international from SFO! Can get intoSFO UA Lounge no problem..
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
All my flights out of phl I get lounge access when on International routing and every airport ord, ewr, iad even though I am connecting to domestic city but only SFO sq lounge denied! They said must be departing international from SFO! Can get intoSFO UA Lounge no problem..
As a 1K, you get *A gold access, which allows same day lounge access on an international itinerary so long as you are flying a *A carrier. OP does not have *A gold status. Therefore the more restrictive international business class access rule applies.

There is a lengthy thread on the UA forum about access to the SFO SQ lounge. Bottom line: SQ does not consistently apply the applicable rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.