Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Canceling return on united award round trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I am currently in Asia and need to fly home to te US. I need to stopover somewhere on the way home but I don't need to return. If I book a round trip and fly home using the stopover, will they keep the extra 32.5k miles if I try to cancel or will they allow me to pay the redeposit fee and get my miles back? This is with united miles. Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: JGC
I guess you can get better answers at the UA MP forum.

But... I don't think you can get any miles back once you have started your travel. I don't know where you want to stop over, but you can book two one-ways, one from Asia to the stopover point and the other from the stopover point to your home in the US.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Official policy is you get nothing refunded once you start. You are highly unlikely to be successful in cheating the system to get a free stopover on a one-way unless there is a schedule change or IRROPs and you can convince an agent. But even that isn't a sure thing.

Last edited by sbm12; Mar 20, 2013 at 8:27 pm
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:25 am
formerly MNLGuy

Programs: UAGold/MM DL AA
Rules say you can't convert a RT into a one-way. If you want a stop, get two one-ways, it will cost you no more than a RT and allow what you want... if you do the RT, the other option is to go back to Asia at a later date... date changes are free... Route changes are free if Platinum or above...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.