Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

How can I get to Fukuoka (FUK) with Award Booking?

Old Feb 26, 13, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Hello - I'm fairly new to reward redemptions so please bear with me. My goal is to get from JFK - FUK flying C or F using UA miles for two people.

I can find plenty of routes to NRT (NH nonstop, OZ via ICN, LH via FRA/MUC) but once I try to add NRT-FUK everything falls apart. It looks like I can fly JFK-ICN-FUK on OZ, but is there no way to go from NRT-FUK? I'm checking .bomb with Multiple Destinations and AwardTravlr. Is OZ ICN-FUK segment my only option? I'm considering KIX as well but would really prefer to fly into FUK. I'd like to avoid booking a separate cash/award ticket or travel by train if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 26, 13, 11:08 am

Programs: UA, Hilton
Domestic flight slots at NRT are quite limited and may not be released for awards.
By calling UA, you may be able to add HND to FUK to your JFK-NRT, but
in that case you'll have to go to HND by yourself (not that hard since there are
inter-airport shuttles).

BTW, shouldn't this be discussed on UA topic ?
Old Feb 26, 13, 11:23 am

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP

I know Hawaiian airlines go to FUK but not same alliance =\
Old Feb 26, 13, 12:02 pm
Community Director

I have an award ticket LAX-NRT-FUK on ANA in C using ANA miles. NRT-FUK is in coach.
Old Feb 26, 13, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
you need to look on aeroplan.com (or KVS) for domestic ANA flights availability - united.com is useless when it comes to that.

I just booked AKJ-KIX-PEK-ULN yesterday. Sadly only coach on domestic ANA flights seems to be available.
Old Feb 26, 13, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LosPenguinosII View Post
Domestic flight slots at NRT are quite limited and may not be released for awards.
By calling UA, you may be able to add HND to FUK to your JFK-NRT, but
in that case you'll have to go to HND by yourself (not that hard since there are
inter-airport shuttles).
Actually no, that is incorrect information. Domestic flights to/from NRT are limited, but they are definately released for awards and usually wide open, as very seldom people use these flights because of limited frequency compare to HND. I had certainly done this NRT-FUK, NRT-ITM, and NRT-NGO using awards.

There are two daily NH NRT-FUK flights, no need to go to HND.

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
you need to look on aeroplan.com (or KVS) for domestic ANA flights availability - united.com is useless when it comes to that.

I just booked AKJ-KIX-PEK-ULN yesterday. Sadly only coach on domestic ANA flights seems to be available.
One must call UA in order to book NH domestic segments, so looking at aeroplan or KVS is just pointless.

P is always available, but you can't use awards on that, awards can only book in Y for any NH domestic segment, you can however ask at the gate or checkin in Japan to see if any seats open upgrade for cash.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 26, 13 at 10:36 pm
Old Feb 27, 13, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks to your help I was able to find the two ANA NRT-FUK flights (2141/2145) on the matrix. I wouldn't have known about them as they weren't available to me on the UA or ANA sites. I'll call to book the award.
Old Feb 27, 13, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
One must call UA in order to book NH domestic segments, so looking at aeroplan or KVS is just pointless.
Right, its pointless to check if there is availability before calling United.

United agents are known for knowing what they are doing, no need to verify availability first on your own.
Old Feb 27, 13, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Right, its pointless to check if there is availability before calling United.

United agents are known for knowing what they are doing, no need to verify availability first on your own.
It is because they don't know what they are doing, so even if you verify availability they could still say no.
Old Feb 27, 13, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
It is because they don't know what they are doing, so even if you verify availability they could still say no.
ok call up a UA agent, and say you wanna go from FUK to MEX, see what happens.

Then call up a UA agent, and say you need to be on flight NHXXX to KIX, connecting to UAXXX to SFO, connecting to UAXXX to MEX

see which one causes less stress.
Old Mar 5, 13, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
There is generally a lot of availability for Japanese domestic flights and they are very cheap at 6000 miles and no tax. But with UA you have to do it by phone. Another quirk is that ANA (and JAL) release domestic flights only 60 days in advance. I guess it's different for NRT connectors. Nobody goes to NRT for a domestic flight (well, I guess if you live in parts of Chiba or Ibaraki) so they are all for connections to intl flights.
Old Mar 5, 13, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnaget View Post
Another quirk is that ANA (and JAL) release domestic flights only 60 days in advance.
booked AKJ-KIX (Y) 6 months in advance

Search this Thread
Search Engine: