Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Air China to MNL - thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, 1MM

I've been asked to fly out to Manila and my hosts have been lollygagging on booking the flight. Today I received an email asking if I can fly Air China IAD-JFK-PEK-MNL

I'm presuming these people are trying to find the cheapest fare since the previous discussion was BWI-EWR-NRT-MNL (UA-ANA).

My home airport is BWI, so getting to IAD is a major pain in the butt and at least a two hour ordeal. Not to mention SuperShuttle from my house to IAD and back is $500!

I don't know much about Air China. I'm mostly a UA flier and hold *Gold status with UA. I'd like the trip to be as comfortable as possible and if I can upgrade with miles, that would be even better. But it's coming down to the wire and these flights need to be booked.

I've seen some questionable things about AC online
so I'm wondering just how bad it is?

Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:42 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Flying in what class?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by onocoffee
I've seen some questionable things about AC online
so I'm wondering just how bad it is?

Thanks!
AC = Air Canada
CA = Air China

What class of travel?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, 1MM
Sorry for the AC/CA confusion.

Economy class - at least that's what I'm presuming since they're trying to find the cheapest way to bring me there, at the very last minute - even though they've been planning this for three months!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: A3*G, 9w
If you're used to UA then I do think you'll have no problem with CA.

However, I'm just curious as to why they picked CA when UA is normally cheaper for flights from North America to the Philippines. I also think that the BWI-ORD-NRT-MNL is shorter than the CA route.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by knatoriqois

However, I'm just curious as to why they picked CA when UA is normally cheaper for flights from North America to the Philippines. I also think that the BWI-ORD-NRT-MNL is shorter than the CA route.
+1

You also have to be careful about the fare class you book into on CA. Many of the cheaper classes only earn 50% RDM and PQM on MP.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=312
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by onocoffee

I don't know much about Air China. I'm mostly a UA flier and hold *Gold status with UA. I'd like the trip to be as comfortable as possible and if I can upgrade with miles, that would be even better. But it's coming down to the wire and these flights need to be booked.
Since your host is only willing to pay for the cheapest ticket, therefore it would be impossible to upgrade with miles, not to mention the cheapest ticket also wouldn't yield 100% of acual miles flown on CA.

Originally Posted by knatoriqois
I disagree, for one CA's 747 on JFK-PEK wouldn't even have PTV, whereas if OP fly UA on EWR-NRT's 777, it would have PTV and AVOD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.