Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best airline for Middle East redemption

Old Oct 27, 12, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Was trying to get suggestions on the best airline for first/business class USA to Dubai or Abu dhabi using united or us air miles. Thanks
Old Oct 29, 12, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
I think in a perfect world I'd choose TK or LX, but that doesn't mean that you can get either of them on dates you actually want to travel. Availability will likely be more of a deciding factor than choosing the best seat across the Atlantic.

I believe all of the European carriers use international business class to DXB so there aren't any real terrible choices, even UA would be quite acceptable.
Old Oct 29, 12, 12:22 pm

Programs: US SP, A3*G, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, LeClub Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Nat'l Plat
UA has a daily 777 non-stop to Dubai from IAD.. my experience was quite good in E+, but I also was given opportunities to buy up to F and C through the day of departure so I expect the upgrade avails are low on that route.
Old Oct 30, 12, 3:51 am

Programs: United nob- Starwood LifetimePlatinum - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum - Singapore Airlines PPS
LH might be a good option for you
Old Oct 31, 12, 9:20 am

Programs: M&M SEN
If flying from / through JFK or IAD Austrian Airlines (OS) could be an option as well. They are equipping their fleet with new lie-flat seets starting December (roll out completed April 2013).

Leaving East Coast around 6pm you would come into VIE around 8.30am and fly out to DXB around 12.30.
Old Nov 2, 12, 10:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP 75K
Chances are, you're going to be restricted to what is available. Most of the availability to Middle East is on MS (Egypt Air). Does anybody here have an experience with them? How was it?
Old Nov 6, 12, 5:47 am

Programs: UA Silver
Via Mileage Plus, going between the US and DXB, I have seen the following coming up with business and/or first availability:

United to YYZ, AC to ZRH, LX to DXB
United or LH to FRA, LH to DXB
OS from IAD to VIE, OS to DXB
UA from IAD to DXB

I have succesfully jerry-rigged an award (over the phone) TK from IAD to IST and then IST to DXB in business.

During low availability periods, I have seen wacky routings on Ethiopian Air involving changing plains in Addis Ababa and a layover in Rome. That routing was an insanely long trip.
Old Nov 6, 12, 11:29 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I recently did this route from the Americas to DXB.

I did look for business reward tickets, but unfortunately, with Emirates and Ethiad controlling much of the volume into the UAE, I did not find many business reward seats available. It is just not high on the Star Alliance frequently list.

I ended up on United from IAD.

Likely you will end up with whatever is available.
Old Nov 15, 12, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Anyone had experience with the iad-dxb business class? According to seatguru, they have the angled beds and not the completely flat ones. Is it worth the extra 20k miles vs standard?
Old Nov 19, 12, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
Chances are, you're going to be restricted to what is available. Most of the availability to Middle East is on MS (Egypt Air). Does anybody here have an experience with them? How was it?
My problem with MS is that they are a dry airline... makes it harder to fall asleep on a long haul flight.
Old Dec 7, 12, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

For others that may be looking for a routing. I was able to get business class from auh to IST to Frankfurt on Turkish and luthansa business from fra to iAd on the 747-8.

Last edited by Abubacus; Dec 7, 12 at 2:26 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: