Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Booking this trip has REALLY got me stumped - anybody? PHL-BOM-TLV-PHL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking this trip has REALLY got me stumped - anybody? PHL-BOM-TLV-PHL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K, PC - Platinum, Member US, AA, CO, DL, SW
Question Booking this trip has REALLY got me stumped - anybody? PHL-BOM-TLV-PHL

Hi, guys!

Well, I've looked and looked, and I can't figure out the best way to do this, so I thought I'd turn to the experts. Can anyone offer some suggestions for how to book this flight?

I need to fly from PHL-BOM (Mumbai) on Dec 3rd (arriving morning of the 4th). Then from Mumbai to Tel Aviv (TLV) - ideally departing Saturday afternoon or evening, the 8th. Arriving into TLV by noon on the 9th. Then going from TLV to PHL on the night of the 15th or morning of the 16th.

I want to fly *A to get miles (this will push me to 1K!). On the usual booking sites, like Kayak and United, there's nothing showing up at all. Do I have to book PHL-BOM / TLV-PHL and book the BOM-TLV leg separately? What's the best way to do this whole itinerary?

I work for a non-profit, so I have to fly (ugh) economy - so probably need to keep this in the $3-4,000 range. I need 21,300 miles to hit 1K. Assuming that should be do-able, but I don't mind weird routing to make it so.

I would really appreciate any suggestions you guys have to offer! If you suggest a routing, can you also tell me where/how I can book it? I don't have any of those travel agent tools (but I suppose I'd be willing to sign up for one if that would make the difference).

Thanks for helping a relative newbie who really wants to make the best of this opportunity!!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:10 pm
Suspended

you will need to buy 2 tkts #1 PHL-BOM & TLV-PHL can be purchased on United.com

#2 BOM-TLV will be with a stop Id take Swiss just make sure before purchasing the tkt (say off Orbitz or Swiss) that you get the fare basis and check to make sure you will earn 100% in the Miles and that youd get the EQMs as well

doing it this way should cost #1 $1380+ and #2 $694, the TLV-PHL if you do it on 12/15 will be a 2 stopper TLV-DC-PHL fly back on 12/16 its TLV-EWR-PHL with a 3 hr layover @ EWR

or simply get yourself up to EWR and fly from/to EWR and do away with the puddle jumpers
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

BA has the whole itinerary for $1900. I don't know if you can do it cost effectively on *A.

Use Kayak multicity booking to look for this. Good luck!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Before taxes, the YRWSPCL fare is about $4000. You can fly all your legs on *A.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
BA has the whole itinerary for $1900. I don't know if you can do it cost effectively on *A.

I think OP made it clear that he wants to fly *A to get to his 1K status - so what is the point of suggesting BA???
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC
Phl-yul us
yul-zrh-bom lx
bom-ist-tlv tk
tlv-yyz-phl ac
$4350
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:34 pm

swiss international from newark on those dates priced out to $2776.39
only problem is the tel aviv zurich return is L class, does not earn United Miles
all other flights are V and U class
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zrs70
Before taxes, the YRWSPCL fare is about $4000. You can fly all your legs on *A.
Originally Posted by vbroucek
I think OP made it clear that he wants to fly *A to get to his 1K status - so what is the point of suggesting BA???
If you fly on *A, you will be wasting more than $2000 of your non-profit's money. This money may have been donated by people of little means. In other words, you want to get miles for it.

The ethical thing to do would be to take the BA flight and save $2100. You will be a better person.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by vbroucek
A little more reading comprehension might be in order for you. Try reading the OP in full.

I work for a non-profit, so I have to fly (ugh) economy
Old Oct 17, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
A little more reading comprehension might be in order for you. Try reading the OP in full.

Yes, he has to fly economy, meaning whY class. He also clearly said
I want to fly *A to get miles (this will push me to 1K!).
Old Oct 17, 2012, 1:27 am

In the same sentence you take out of the context, he continued...
Originally Posted by suavemom
I work for a non-profit, so I have to fly (ugh) economy - so probably need to keep this in the $3-4,000 range. I need 21,300 miles to hit 1K. Assuming that should be do-able, but I don't mind weird routing to make it so.
So, in my comprehension, he said clearly that he wants to use *A, not your BA!!!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Book an open jaw on UA, then ask your local contact in India to get you a oneway BOM-TLV on TK. Prices for tickets sold inside India are cheaper than what you would see on the usual online travel booking sites. Or try to see if TKs local indian website will sell you a one way BOM-TLV @:-)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 797-3
If you fly on *A, you will be wasting more than $2000 of your non-profit's money. This money may have been donated by people of little means. In other words, you want to get miles for it.

The ethical thing to do would be to take the BA flight and save $2100. You will be a better person.
How? How does flying the cheapest option out there always regardless of alliance or quality of flight make you a better person?

As a person who does work for a non profit and who does typically fly *A agree that $2100 for *A appears excessive if there are better and cheaper options out there. If there is a 100 or 200 dollar difference then that is a different story. There is something to be said that you get more out the employee if he/she is happy versus the mentality that the person has to sacrifice for the sake of the non profit unless the policy is to book the cheapest flight.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP wants *A, best route is train to PHL and then PHL-BOM and TLV-PHL w. BOM-TLV on best he can find.

As with most people, the smart thing to do is to look at all fare combinations and then make the alliance / carrier decisions. If *A costs $100 more than OW, perhaps OP does *A. If *A costs $2K more, maybe he doesn't. But, making the decision in advance is silly unless you are ultra-wealthy in which case you presumably don't care about status & miles and such.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:18 am
Suspended

Cool

OP, have a great trip! It sounds like fun as well as work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.