Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best itinerary: east coast USA to Scotland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Would appreciate any tips, hints or suggestions for the best itinerary for this trip.

Family lives in Washington, DC, and we need to visit one set of in-laws in Buffalo, NY for Christmas. We then have a wedding in Edinburgh to attend Jan 5. One spouse has approx 190K miles on United, the other spouse has about 90K miles on US. We also have a toddler and intend to all fly together.

Looks like we can fly to either Glasgow or Edinburgh via Newark. A route from Toronto-Edinburgh costs around the same in miles as EWR-EDI would--but, that puts us back in Toronto, and on our return journey, we don't need to go to YYZ; we need to go to one of the DC area airports.

Any good suggestions for a cost/miles effective way to route this? Can we combine miles?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:56 pm

Do an open jaw: YYZ-EDI, EDI-IAD. Should cost the same as a round trip.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC
Note that there are no direct flights from YYZ to EDI: you would have to connect through EWR, FRA or DUS.

When flying with young kids, I always prefer to do the short connector flight before the long-haul flight. So I would recommend:
YYZ or BUF - EWR - EDI
EDI - FRA - IAD
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:48 am

The Lufthansa flight to DUS is seasonal, so it'll be a choice of connecting in EWR or FRA. There's only one FRA-EDI-FRA service a day, and while it's well timed for connecting eastbound, it's doesn't work so well westbound, and would likely require an overnight stay in Frankfurt.

That said, connecting in FRA might be the better option, as there's little award availability that I've found on the EWR/EDI flights around that time of year, let alone for two people. Two awards seats FRA/EDI seem like an easy get, and there are plenty of transatlantic options to/from FRA, including Singapore airlines, if you move fast enough. If you do two nights in Germany on the return, you won't pay the longhaul UK departure taxes, which will run to the hundreds of dollars.

Another option would be to fly to/from London, and just buy flights or train tickets to or from Scotland. Either option will be pretty affordable, especially if you book far out. If you have any need or desire to visit central London, then I would highly recommend getting the train from King's Cross, which will take about the same amount of time as flying would, and be a much more scenic journey.

Lastly, it's a brave person who gets married in Scotland on January 5! Where is the wedding being held?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all! The open jaw is a great idea, but US charges the same # of miles for a one-way as it does for a RT. And a couple of days in Germany would be lovely, but we are trying to maximize our time with family (and the grandparents of aforementioned toddler).

Wedding is at a little hotel in Broxburn. Although I'm originally from Scotland I left as a child and I've been back once in the last twenty years, and not in the winter ...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:21 am

Despite having a small collection of US Airways miles, I'm not that familiar with their rules for spending them - do they really not let you do open jaws? When you decide, let us know what you chose.

The weather in Scotland in January is rarely extreme, though it is frequently drizzly. Location sounds lovely though - hope you have a great trip and wedding.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:48 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Anna Phor
Thanks to all! The open jaw is a great idea, but US charges the same # of miles for a one-way as it does for a RT. And a couple of days in Germany would be lovely, but we are trying to maximize our time with family (and the grandparents of aforementioned toddler).

Think you may be confused, openjaw costs same as RT with US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.