Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Switch from Aeroplan to Mileage Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-Aeroplan, AAdvantage, DL-Skymiles, UA-MileagePlus

I am a Canadian ex-pat based in GRU. I accrue *A miles into my Aeroplan account but I am considering switching to UA (but I can't decide whether or not it's worthwhile).

I will travel GRU - YUL probably 3 times/year on my own dime. UA flights are always much cheaper than AC on this route. I will also do about 20k/year on JJ within South America. The main reason I am thinking about switching to MileagePlus is because I am worried that if I remain with AC, I will not do the minimum 10k or 5 flights on AC metal to qualify for Elite status.

The only compelling reason to remain with Aeroplan is that there seem to be more options for booking reward flights between GRU and YUL, which is how I will want to spend my miles. Also I am Aeroplan Prestige, but that is less of a factor. Now that flights between South America and North America are 60k on Aeroplan (instead of 50k like they used to be), and now that qualification for Elite is 50k (and not 35k), Aeroplan really has no competitive advantage.

Is it worthwhile to go through with the change?
Old May 1, 2012, 3:40 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I think you're stuck, either way, but likely switching to UA.

It seems that it is becoming the industry standard to have minimum qualifying flights for elite status.

There is nothing to prevent those that don't have these requirements to add them in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.