Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need suggestion on award redemption to India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, Alaska

Hi,

Here is the situation. Person A will be traveling DEL-PHX-DEL and person B will be joining A on the PHX-DEL route (one-way), sometime this May-June. I can see economy seat availability for all segments on United.com.

I have 120k+ US air miles and Amex MR each. And only 100k+ Chase UR points (ruling out the possibility of booking 3 OW tickets for 120K united miles). If I book a RT using US miles (for A) and one OW using Chase->United miles (for B), I am not sure if I can get both A and B on the same flight on the PHX-DEL route; seems risky.

What would be the best way to tackle this? I am not sure how to use MR points in this situation. I have almost 190k AA miles but that's not very useful in this case, is it? Any suggestion/help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:52 pm

At the moment you can do an Amex MR->SPG->US Air transfer at nearly 1 to 1. See http://thepointsguy.com/2012/03/remi...ding-march-31/ for details, but it expires tomorrow

I wonder if you could have US Airways hold the RT, then book the one way to match, then confirm the US air flights? That would at least remove the risk.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, Alaska
Thanks for the quick reply, dagaetch. I am aware of the MR-US transfer but I don't think I need more US miles for this redemption. You made an interesting point about putting one ticket on hold until I book the other. Which airline is more friendly at holding tickets, US or United?

According to TPG blog,
"You can put awards on hold while you wait for miles to post, though some agents may be cranky about this, but they will do it when push comes to shove."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.