Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A partner othen than UA that allows 1-way redemptions?

*A partner othen than UA that allows 1-way redemptions?

Old Mar 27, 12, 7:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 5,763
*A partner othen than UA that allows 1-way redemptions?

Is there another *A partner with an award chart as good as United's that allows 1-way redemptions? If so, I am about ready to vote with my feet. Most of my flying in paid J or awards, so I don't care if it's a non-US carrier as the upgrades carry little value to me.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 27, 12 at 8:01 am Reason: changed thread title
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Mar 27, 12, 8:03 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW
Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Posts: 23,142
bmi, but that's not going to last.
colpuck is offline  
Old Mar 27, 12, 8:17 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,156
ANA offers one-way awards, too. Decent value in some cases but the YQ fees can hurt.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 12, 8:41 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYS
Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 288
If i'm not mistaken, SQ allows one way booking. I started transfering all my Amex points to SQ after the split with CO.
eyuro is offline  
Old Mar 27, 12, 9:02 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Providence, RI
Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Posts: 440
Originally Posted by eyuro View Post
If i'm not mistaken, SQ allows one way booking. I started transfering all my Amex points to SQ after the split with CO.
But you'd be paying MUCH more in fuel surcharges redeeming miles for the same exact flights. For example, a one way saver economy award on Singapore Airlines from SFO-SIN using United miles is 32,500 miles and $2.50 in taxes. Redeeming an award from a Krisflyer account for the same exact seat on the same exact SQ flight (with the online miles discount) is 29,750 miles and $311.20 in taxes and fuel surcharges.
KevinInRI is offline  
Old Mar 27, 12, 10:22 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 11,200
Originally Posted by eyuro View Post
If i'm not mistaken, SQ allows one way booking. I started transfering all my Amex points to SQ after the split with CO.
Be sure to check which partner you want to redeem. SQ and LH allow one way redemption on certain, not all, partners.
TerryK is offline  
Old Mar 27, 12, 5:56 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LEJ BRU
Posts: 958
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Be sure to check which partner you want to redeem. SQ and LH allow one way redemption on certain, not all, partners.
From 01.09.12 LH M&M seems to allow OW bookings on all M&M partners.
red star is offline  
Old Mar 27, 12, 8:58 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
This is a little off the "one way" topic, but I would like to use my UA miles on another affiliate for a multi stop flight: LAX-CHI-CLE-LAX. Do you guys have any suggestions on what airline would be the best for this route, and how do I go about it? Thanks!
RockieRat is offline  
Old Mar 27, 12, 10:08 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Posts: 9,002
AC/Aeroplan offers one way rewards

See the table in the link:

https://www1.aeroplan.com/static/pdf...rdChart-EN.pdf
FlyerGoldII is offline  
Old Mar 28, 12, 6:55 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NCL and LBA
Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,933
Originally Posted by KevinInRI View Post
But you'd be paying MUCH more in fuel surcharges redeeming miles for the same exact flights. For example, a one way saver economy award on Singapore Airlines from SFO-SIN using United miles is 32,500 miles and $2.50 in taxes. Redeeming an award from a Krisflyer account for the same exact seat on the same exact SQ flight (with the online miles discount) is 29,750 miles and $311.20 in taxes and fuel surcharges.
You would also have a hell of a lot of availability on USA-Asia in SQ premium cabins which UA can't get hold of That would make it worth the extra $300 IMO.

Be sure to check which partner you want to redeem. SQ and LH allow one way redemption on certain, not all, partners.
SQ allows one way redemptions on all *A partners. LH will allow them from 01SEP onwards
pogonation is offline  
Old Mar 28, 12, 4:37 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TSE
Posts: 818
TK allows.
moeser is offline  
Old Mar 28, 12, 6:36 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SYD-NYC
Programs: |QF Gold|OZ Gold|HH Diamond|DL Blue|
Posts: 1,699
Asiana allows one-way redemptions but only on their metal. Not sure how their mileage table compares to that of Untied.
Supersonic Swinger is offline  
Old Mar 28, 12, 7:59 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,156
Originally Posted by pogonation View Post
You would also have a hell of a lot of availability on USA-Asia in SQ premium cabins which UA can't get hold of
SQ is offering long-haul awards in C to partners in many cases. I don't know just how different it is from "own" awards, but it is definitely there.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 30, 12, 2:01 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 5,763
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
ANA offers one-way awards, too. Decent value in some cases but the YQ fees can hurt.
I thought ANA's mileage based system required a round trip and you had to at least return to the country you departed from. AKA booking a 1-way F award CDG-ZRH-JFK with no return would not be allowed, no?
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Mar 30, 12, 2:20 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NCL and LBA
Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,933
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
I thought ANA's mileage based system required a round trip and you had to at least return to the country you departed from. AKA booking a 1-way F award CDG-ZRH-JFK with no return would not be allowed, no?
You can open jaw as long as the departure city and final city are in the same country so you could do NRT-JFK/KIX-NRT for example and not use the KIX-NRT. Or using your example you could do CDG-ZRH-JFK/MXP-ZRH... This would cost 90k instead of 100k so not a very good example.

It definitely costs more than 50% in most cases but can still be a good deal. For example if you wanted to book NRT-BKK-FRA-EZE in C then it would be 200k return, but NRT-BKK-FRA-EZE/KIX-NRT would be 105k.

Last edited by pogonation; Mar 30, 12 at 2:31 pm
pogonation is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread