FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   *A partner othen than UA that allows 1-way redemptions? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1329443-partner-othen-than-ua-allows-1-way-redemptions.html)

GetSetJetSet Mar 27, 2012 6:41 am

*A partner othen than UA that allows 1-way redemptions?

Is there another *A partner with an award chart as good as United's that allows 1-way redemptions? If so, I am about ready to vote with my feet. Most of my flying in paid J or awards, so I don't care if it's a non-US carrier as the upgrades carry little value to me.

colpuck Mar 27, 2012 7:03 am

bmi, but that's not going to last.

sbm12 Mar 27, 2012 7:17 am

ANA offers one-way awards, too. Decent value in some cases but the YQ fees can hurt.

eyuro Mar 27, 2012 7:41 am

If i'm not mistaken, SQ allows one way booking. I started transfering all my Amex points to SQ after the split with CO.

KevinInRI Mar 27, 2012 8:02 am

Originally Posted by eyuro (Post 18281529)
If i'm not mistaken, SQ allows one way booking. I started transfering all my Amex points to SQ after the split with CO.

But you'd be paying MUCH more in fuel surcharges redeeming miles for the same exact flights. For example, a one way saver economy award on Singapore Airlines from SFO-SIN using United miles is 32,500 miles and $2.50 in taxes. Redeeming an award from a Krisflyer account for the same exact seat on the same exact SQ flight (with the online miles discount) is 29,750 miles and $311.20 in taxes and fuel surcharges.

TerryK Mar 27, 2012 9:22 am

Originally Posted by eyuro (Post 18281529)

Be sure to check which partner you want to redeem. SQ and LH allow one way redemption on certain, not all, partners.@:-)

red star Mar 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 18282168)
Be sure to check which partner you want to redeem. SQ and LH allow one way redemption on certain, not all, partners.@:-)

From 01.09.12 LH M&M seems to allow OW bookings on all M&M partners.

RockieRat Mar 27, 2012 7:58 pm

This is a little off the "one way" topic, but I would like to use my UA miles on another affiliate for a multi stop flight: LAX-CHI-CLE-LAX. Do you guys have any suggestions on what airline would be the best for this route, and how do I go about it? Thanks!

FlyerGoldII Mar 27, 2012 9:08 pm

AC/Aeroplan offers one way rewards

See the table in the link:

https://www1.aeroplan.com/static/pdf...rdChart-EN.pdf

pogonation Mar 28, 2012 5:55 am

Originally Posted by KevinInRI (Post 18281664)
But you'd be paying MUCH more in fuel surcharges redeeming miles for the same exact flights. For example, a one way saver economy award on Singapore Airlines from SFO-SIN using United miles is 32,500 miles and $2.50 in taxes. Redeeming an award from a Krisflyer account for the same exact seat on the same exact SQ flight (with the online miles discount) is 29,750 miles and $311.20 in taxes and fuel surcharges.

You would also have a hell of a lot of availability on USA-Asia in SQ premium cabins which UA can't get hold of ^ That would make it worth the extra $300 IMO.

Be sure to check which partner you want to redeem. SQ and LH allow one way redemption on certain, not all, partners.
SQ allows one way redemptions on all *A partners. LH will allow them from 01SEP onwards ^

moeser Mar 28, 2012 3:37 pm

TK allows.

Supersonic Swinger Mar 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Asiana allows one-way redemptions but only on their metal. Not sure how their mileage table compares to that of Untied.

sbm12 Mar 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by pogonation (Post 18288015)
You would also have a hell of a lot of availability on USA-Asia in SQ premium cabins which UA can't get hold of ^

SQ is offering long-haul awards in C to partners in many cases. I don't know just how different it is from "own" awards, but it is definitely there.

GetSetJetSet Mar 30, 2012 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18281417)
ANA offers one-way awards, too. Decent value in some cases but the YQ fees can hurt.

I thought ANA's mileage based system required a round trip and you had to at least return to the country you departed from. AKA booking a 1-way F award CDG-ZRH-JFK with no return would not be allowed, no?

pogonation Mar 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 18304282)
I thought ANA's mileage based system required a round trip and you had to at least return to the country you departed from. AKA booking a 1-way F award CDG-ZRH-JFK with no return would not be allowed, no?

You can open jaw as long as the departure city and final city are in the same country so you could do NRT-JFK/KIX-NRT for example and not use the KIX-NRT. Or using your example you could do CDG-ZRH-JFK/MXP-ZRH... This would cost 90k instead of 100k so not a very good example.

It definitely costs more than 50% in most cases but can still be a good deal. For example if you wanted to book NRT-BKK-FRA-EZE in C then it would be 200k return, but NRT-BKK-FRA-EZE/KIX-NRT would be 105k.