Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Good news from SYD: SQ now finally (and pleasantly) applies *alliance rules

Good news from SYD: SQ now finally (and pleasantly) applies *alliance rules

Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Thumbs up Good news from SYD: SQ now finally (and pleasantly) applies *alliance rules

The non respect of *alliance lounge access rules is never a pleasant issue. I had problems in the past with SQ in SYD and more recently with (horrible) SA in JNB.

What good surprise to report from SYD that the rules for *alliance F, C and gold passengers are now respected by SQ and that the two senior lounge attendants present upon my entry were extremely pleasant giving SQ the image it deserves.

I have only been informed that no boarding calls will be made for my TG flight and that I might therefore wish to use the NZ Koru Club.

Food selection in the SQ F section is smaller, but better and more Asian than in the Koru Club. Also there is Heidsieck Chanpagne, JW gold and you share the company of the ultra rich Chinese SQ R passengers .

Just one strange thing subsists: Why TG stamps their boarding passes with the NZ lounge logo . Intimidated ? By whom ?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I think technically only the C section of a Star Gold lounge is open to all Star Gold card holders. Star Gold should not get you in the F section in its own right. TG stamp NZ lounge logo probably to inform non status holders to use the NZ lounge as it's TG's contract lounge at SYD, ie non Star Gold F or C pax cannot use the SQ lounge.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by behuman
ultra rich Chinese SQ R passengers .
I would have thought this could be more of a !

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I think technically only the C section of a Star Gold lounge is open to all Star Gold card holders. Star Gold should not get you in the F section in its own right. TG stamp NZ lounge logo probably to inform non status holders to use the NZ lounge as it's TG's contract lounge at SYD, ie non Star Gold F or C pax cannot use the SQ lounge.
If you are in F on any *A carrier, you can use other *A carriers' F lounges, regardless of status. *G by itself does not grant access to any F lounges, unless you consider LH SEN lounges as F lounges. OP was in TG F so he was entitled to access the F section of the SQ lounge. TG probably stamps the NZ lounge logo to encourage passengers who don't know better to go into the NZ lounge, which is the one contracted by NZ. (most likely because it's cheaper, no F section)
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Over the years Ive had problems entering the SYD SQ Lounge - but have never been refused entry - the C section is a bit quieter than the AirNZ lounge - but the shower sucks! Koru Club showers much better - also I find the wine selection much better in the Air NZ club (I'm biased towards NZ wines) As for the F section -when I fly F once or twice a year with United I go to the F side - usually alone or with one other person in the lounge - however both C and F are not particulalry good - showers without decent toiletries - they really dont compare to the SilverKris C Lounge at T3 Changi -and I do like the SilverKris lounge in SFO which I make use of many times a year - reasonable food, reasonable showers and a sekection of califonian wines - lets face it SQ is majorly scaling back for the past few years (as all other airlines also) but why one would really bother with the SliverKris lounge in SYD I dont know - out SilverKris Lounge in Adelaide is a bit better - it just shows SYD airport, like MEL are both gettting tired and run-down
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
I am a crappy FFer, so I never think of these things. I fly into SYD 2-3x per year in United Business. I never really thought of trying out the SQ lounge (if I recall, it is just down the way from the NZ lounge?) - given that I am in Business (not F) but *G, I guess this thread confirms that I can access. Is it worth it over the NZ lounge? I find that one quite good anyway, even though I have heard some complaints.

+1 for the Koru Club showers!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Santander
I would have thought this could be more of a !

If you are in F on any *A carrier, you can use other *A carriers' F lounges, regardless of status. *G by itself does not grant access to any F lounges, unless you consider LH SEN lounges as F lounges. OP was in TG F so he was entitled to access the F section of the SQ lounge. TG probably stamps the NZ lounge logo to encourage passengers who don't know better to go into the NZ lounge, which is the one contracted by NZ. (most likely because it's cheaper, no F section)
I just read the rules again and yes you are correct. It must be owned by a Star carrier though.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you are in F on any *A carrier, you can use other *A carriers' F lounges, regardless of status.
Not necessarily. The LH FCT/FCLs in FRA/MUC and the LX FCL in ZRH are strictly reserved for the LH group of airlines. F pax on other *A F carriers are relegated to the more pedestrian *A F lounges. And in SIN, only SQ F pax are permitted entry to SQ's Private Room.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by behuman
The non respect of *alliance lounge access rules is never a pleasant issue. I had problems in the past with SQ in SYD and more recently with (horrible) SA in JNB.

What good surprise to report from SYD that the rules for *alliance F, C and gold passengers are now respected by SQ and that the two senior lounge attendants present upon my entry were extremely pleasant giving SQ the image it deserves.

I have only been informed that no boarding calls will be made for my TG flight and that I might therefore wish to use the NZ Koru Club.

Food selection in the SQ F section is smaller, but better and more Asian than in the Koru Club. Also there is Heidsieck Chanpagne, JW gold and you share the company of the ultra rich Chinese SQ R passengers .

Just one strange thing subsists: Why TG stamps their boarding passes with the NZ lounge logo . Intimidated ? By whom ?
SQ has been playing by the rules since 2003 or so. Sometimes when the lounge gets full they become difficult but more often than not I didn't have a problem.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Not necessarily. The LH FCT/FCLs in FRA/MUC and the LX FCL in ZRH are strictly reserved for the LH group of airlines. F pax on other *A F carriers are relegated to the more pedestrian *A F lounges. And in SIN, only SQ F pax are permitted entry to SQ's Private Room.
F PAX on other *G Carriers are eligible to use the LH SEN = *G Lounges.
There are no particular *A F-Lounges beside FCT/FCL.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:53 am

Yes but in those cases a separate designated F lounge is provided such as the LH SEN lounge (technically F lounge since C pax can't get in) and the SKL F section in SIN. BA does the same thing with the Concorde Room and Galleries F lounges in JFK/LHR.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Yes but in those cases a separate designated F lounge is provided such as the LH SEN lounge (technically F lounge since C pax can't get in) and the SKL F section in SIN. BA does the same thing with the Concorde Room and Galleries F lounges in JFK/LHR.
You can get in LH SEN lounge as long as you have a *G card even flying in Y on same day *A boarding pass. So therefore no, SEN does not consider as F lounge.

If LH SEN lounge consider as F lounge then they don't even need to have FCL.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
You can get in LH SEN lounge as long as you have a *G card even flying in Y on same day *A boarding pass. So therefore no, SEN does not consider as F lounge. If LH SEN lounge consider as F lounge then they don't even need to have FCL.
Not that I've ever used it but... my recollection is that the words FIRST CLASS do appear on signage on the lounge on the right side of the check-in counter (the SEN lounge?). Is this not the lounge that UA/SQ/TG F pax would use?

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 19, 2012 at 1:11 pm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:05 pm

Is this not the lounge that UA/SQ/TG F pax would use?
Yes, which is why it is technically a F lounge. If LH's own C passengers (non-status) cannot get in and *A F passengers are directed there, I would say it qualifies as a F lounge. *G is permitted to go there partly because the lowest *G tier in M&M is SEN which is 100k, the highest "mid-tier" elite level in all of *A. LH also allows *G to use the F check-in counters as their SENs do.

So therefore no, SEN does not consider as F lounge.
If a *G can access a F check-in counter when travelling in Y does that make the counter not a F check-in?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Yes, which is why it is technically a F lounge.
I am not sure if you have even been to LH FCL in FRA or MUC ? If you had you would never call SEN lounge is a F lounge.

If a *G can access a F check-in counter when travelling in Y does that make the counter not a F check-in?
I think we are talking about lounges, not checkin. No matter what checkin *G can use, but as long as they are not fly LH group in F, they still cannot get into LH FCL.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
I am not sure if you have even been to LH FCL in FRA or MUC ? If you had you would never call SEN lounge is a F lounge.

I think we are talking about lounges, not checkin. No matter what checkin *G can use, but as long as they are not fly LH group in F, they still cannot get into LH FCL.
Correct and the simple reason for this is that as clearly stated on all *alliance publications the "designated" *alliance F lounges in ZRH, FRA, MUC and VIE are the Senator lounges.

I agree that these are not really F, but at least the matter is clearly published http://www.staralliance.com/de/benef...access-policy/.

I have been only once at the FRA FCT and of course this is really F !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.