Lounge access at DME (Moscow)

Old Mar 10, 12, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat
Lounge access at DME (Moscow)

All, I have a flight from IAH-DME on Singapore Airlines (flying couch). In Moscow, I will have a long layover before I take a domestic flight to TJM (Tyumen, Russia), on UTAir.

Do I have any access to the lounges there? I am a *G with United, and also a United Club member. From what I am reading, it seems like access is only allowed if I have a departing *A flight, not arriving. UTair, is not part of the alliance, I believe.

On another note, how hard is award upgrades on SQ flying a 77w? From looking at inventory, they dont seem to show any as an option for Y-Business.
Old Mar 10, 12, 12:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
You've got several things not going in your favor. The *A lounges at DME are all departure lounges, so you wouldn't have access unless departing on a *A flight. They're also all contract lounges, so access is difficult.

But the biggest problem - the lounges are all in the international departures area. When you get off your flight from Houston, you're going to have to go through immigration and customs, at which point you will not have access to the international section anymore.

How long a layover to you have? You could always take the Aeroexpress into the Center and hang out some in Moscow.
Old Mar 10, 12, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

I have about 7 hours to burn.

Looking at the DME website, there are business lounges in the domestic terminal. Do you have experience with any of these? I know there may be a fee involved, but that is something I can expense. Really looking for a shower with a lounge.
Old Mar 10, 12, 4:24 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz Five Star
I can't comment on the DME domestic side but the 24hr Lufthansa contract lounge at DME that I visited in 2009 wasn't anything spectacular. Just a place to get an orange juice with a nice view. Not even a large magazine newspaper selection. I would expect the lounge experience on the domestic side to be similar - if there are even showers available.
Old Mar 12, 12, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LPP Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 View Post
I can't comment on the DME domestic side but the 24hr Lufthansa contract lounge at DME that I visited in 2009 wasn't anything spectacular. Just a place to get an orange juice with a nice view. Not even a large magazine newspaper selection. I would expect the lounge experience on the domestic side to be similar - if there are even showers available.
LH lounge in DME is actually quite nice, IMO. Its larger and has better amenities compared to LX or OS lounges. Also they have a large variety of food and all the alcohol you want (has to ask for it from the bar and its not obvious they have nay but they do). Also there is a large literature rack with all kinds of newspapers and magazines between the main waiting area and the showers, perhaps you missed it.

Its a very nice lounge overall.
Old Mar 13, 12, 4:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by es5052 View Post
I have about 7 hours to burn.

Looking at the DME website, there are business lounges in the domestic terminal. Do you have experience with any of these? I know there may be a fee involved, but that is something I can expense. Really looking for a shower with a lounge.
Last time I was there, I got into a lounge that you could pay your way in. It was upstairs from the S7 lounge. The guy I was with had a Diners Club Card, and got in with that, but I don't recall it having a shower...
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:20 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold, Asiana Club Diamond, THAI silver
I think there had been an upgrade on the lounge some time after your visit.
I visited the lounge in November 2011, it was good experience with large view all over the tarmac, plus nice breakfast selection.
This lounge is cleary marked 'Star alliance' gold lounge! So any *G member departing on any * flight from DME international departure (terminal) are welcomed. Plus, the lounge operates 24 hours!!
I have a few photos, but honestly, I don't know how to upload on here.
Old Mar 14, 12, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I guess I will just hit the lounges on my departure.

I changed my trip a bit, so that I can spend 2 nights in Moscow before continuing on to Tyumen. Now I have to pick a hotel, all so pricey!
Old Mar 14, 12, 8:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Have a great time in Moscow and Tyumen. As far as a hotel, it really depends on what you want to do. Downtown they are all very costly. There are a couple of Holiday Inn properties that are near subway stations that might work for you to get there - I find the subway quite easy to to navigate.

What are you doing in Tyumen?
Old Mar 14, 12, 10:30 am
Original Poster

I will be in Tyumen for work, doing a 4 week course (Oil and Gas).
Old Mar 15, 12, 5:12 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by flyvirgin View Post
I think there had been an upgrade on the lounge some time after your visit.
I visited the lounge in November 2011, it was good experience with large view all over the tarmac, plus nice breakfast selection.
This lounge is cleary marked 'Star alliance' gold lounge! So any *G member departing on any * flight from DME international departure (terminal) are welcomed. Plus, the lounge operates 24 hours!!
I have a few photos, but honestly, I don't know how to upload on here.
I agree. It sounds like its the new and improved version.

The previous breakfast was self toasting toast and not much else.

Glad it's been improved. Maybe to compete against S7 and one world.
Old Mar 16, 12, 12:05 am

Programs: Qatar Gold, Asiana Club Diamond, THAI silver
Originally Posted by es5052 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful replies! I guess I will just hit the lounges on my departure.

I changed my trip a bit, so that I can spend 2 nights in Moscow before continuing on to Tyumen. Now I have to pick a hotel, all so pricey!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...al_Russia.html

Recommend this one. I stayed there on my first late-arrival night then I moved to Hilton for 3 nights, Hilton was amazing experience living in that Stalin's building!

Maxmima panorama ain't bad. Good price, clean, super market and booze all around, subway within 30 steps walk. Subway is very efficient in Moscow!!
Old May 20, 12, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; United 1P; Marriott Silver; Hilton-Silver
I was at DME recently and the star gold lounge that i was given access to was the Austrian airlines lounge. I flew united.
Old Jan 30, 14, 2:07 am

Lufthansa Business Lounge at DME (Moscow)

Apparently the Lufthansa Business Lounge is not operated by Lufthansa as they don't accept United Club Lounge membership cards except Gold Alliance cards at the lounge.
Old Mar 3, 18, 4:49 pm

DME website says that Austrian Lounge is accessible 24 hrs by *Gold members. Also, says it's open 24 hours. Can anyone confirm this?

Search this Thread