Star Alliance Question

Old Mar 2, 12, 8:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 56
Star Alliance Question

How do the points in different airlines work?

I am a member of Continental (going to be United from tomorrow) and have 23K Points

Now I fly Singapore Airlines and get some points say 57K Points

Can I combine United/CO and Singapore Airlines points to make one booking under Star Alliance for 80K ?

PS: There might be a thread/post already answering this, but a quick search did not get any.
JaguarBest is offline  
Old Mar 2, 12, 10:08 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: UA 1P, CO Gold Elite
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by JaguarBest View Post
Can I combine United/CO and Singapore Airlines points to make one booking under Star Alliance for 80K ?

you cannot combine different airline miles in one program. try to use separately.
SplineMaker is offline  
Old Mar 2, 12, 11:59 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: LAX
Posts: 559
Originally Posted by SplineMaker View Post
you cannot combine different airline miles in one program. try to use separately.
Correct, however you CAN have miles for revenue flights on Singapore credited to UA/CO since they are in the same alliance. In fact, for all three alliances, you can fly one airline in the alliance and have your miles credit to another airline in that same alliance.

Last edited by kdoughboy; Mar 2, 12 at 12:04 pm
kdoughboy is offline  
Old Mar 2, 12, 4:35 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 375
Originally Posted by kdoughboy View Post
Correct, however you CAN have miles for revenue flights on Singapore credited to UA/CO since they are in the same alliance. In fact, for all three alliances, you can fly one airline in the alliance and have your miles credit to another airline in that same alliance.
Yes, but be aware that some of the lowest fares on Singapore do not earn any miles so check the rules before you book!
hard2please is offline  
Old Mar 3, 12, 9:25 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois-downstate
Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 955
Originally Posted by hard2please View Post
Yes, but be aware that some of the lowest fares on Singapore do not earn any miles so check the rules before you book!
On other airlines as well. I fly Thai and Swiss once in a while. I always book using my UA FF number. The Thai miles are no problem. I get them every time. The Swiss miles, on the other hand, depend on the fare I pay! I don't enjoy finding that out AFTER flying Swiss, so am now aware and make sure I book a qualifying fare class.
sim510 is offline  
Old Mar 3, 12, 2:14 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 375
Originally Posted by sim510 View Post
On other airlines as well. I fly Thai and Swiss once in a while. I always book using my UA FF number. The Thai miles are no problem. I get them every time. The Swiss miles, on the other hand, depend on the fare I pay! I don't enjoy finding that out AFTER flying Swiss, so am now aware and make sure I book a qualifying fare class.
Yup. Once had that problem with Lufthansa. The outbound flight earned full credit but the return flight only 50%! At first I thought it was an error and called. Turned out the booking class on the return flight was different from on the outbound.
hard2please is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread