FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Star Alliance Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1320113-star-alliance-question.html)

JaguarBest Mar 2, 2012 7:45 am

Star Alliance Question

How do the points in different airlines work?

I am a member of Continental (going to be United from tomorrow) and have 23K Points

Now I fly Singapore Airlines and get some points say 57K Points

Can I combine United/CO and Singapore Airlines points to make one booking under Star Alliance for 80K ?

PS: There might be a thread/post already answering this, but a quick search did not get any.

SplineMaker Mar 2, 2012 9:08 am

Originally Posted by JaguarBest (Post 18117259)
Can I combine United/CO and Singapore Airlines points to make one booking under Star Alliance for 80K ?

you cannot combine different airline miles in one program. try to use separately.

kdoughboy Mar 2, 2012 10:59 am

Originally Posted by SplineMaker (Post 18117792)
you cannot combine different airline miles in one program. try to use separately.

Correct, however you CAN have miles for revenue flights on Singapore credited to UA/CO since they are in the same alliance. In fact, for all three alliances, you can fly one airline in the alliance and have your miles credit to another airline in that same alliance.

hard2please Mar 2, 2012 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by kdoughboy (Post 18118597)
Correct, however you CAN have miles for revenue flights on Singapore credited to UA/CO since they are in the same alliance. In fact, for all three alliances, you can fly one airline in the alliance and have your miles credit to another airline in that same alliance.

Yes, but be aware that some of the lowest fares on Singapore do not earn any miles so check the rules before you book!

sim510 Mar 3, 2012 8:25 am

Originally Posted by hard2please (Post 18120607)
Yes, but be aware that some of the lowest fares on Singapore do not earn any miles so check the rules before you book!

On other airlines as well. I fly Thai and Swiss once in a while. I always book using my UA FF number. The Thai miles are no problem. I get them every time. The Swiss miles, on the other hand, depend on the fare I pay! I don't enjoy finding that out AFTER flying Swiss, so am now aware and make sure I book a qualifying fare class.

hard2please Mar 3, 2012 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by sim510 (Post 18124680)
On other airlines as well. I fly Thai and Swiss once in a while. I always book using my UA FF number. The Thai miles are no problem. I get them every time. The Swiss miles, on the other hand, depend on the fare I pay! I don't enjoy finding that out AFTER flying Swiss, so am now aware and make sure I book a qualifying fare class.

Yup. Once had that problem with Lufthansa. The outbound flight earned full credit but the return flight only 50%! At first I thought it was an error and called. Turned out the booking class on the return flight was different from on the outbound. :mad: