Rookie help - NYC-FRA

Old Feb 25, 12, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Rookie help - NYC-FRA

Last year I ran into problems because I didn't understand fare codes. Am now trying to book a ticket and trying to understand how to read the fare code, off of say Kayak or something. Trying to find a *A flight that I will actually get miles for my economy flight.

THanks in advance!
Old Feb 26, 12, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
there will be 2 steps to this. Firstly to identify the fare code then secondly to see if/what that fare code earns within your mileage program

If you search for flights on kayak, then filter on Star Alliance when you see a flight you can select Details and you will see the fare code
eg LH flight SKWNC16T would be classed as S, KKNC3N would be K

then check the table for your carrier, with bmi (as an example) S would earn 0.5 miles and K would earn nothing, (your program may differ) so if miles were important you would look further down the options until you find something that earns what you want

Beware though of codeshares. A codeshare operated by a non-*A carrier will earn nothing, a codeshare operated on another *A carrier may earn different that you expect. eg United sell seats as UA numbers that are operated by Lufthansa, the operating carrier is important so it would be the LH table you would look at but United farecodes may not match to LH on the same class

There is a thread here that has some examples http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...e-flights.html
Old Feb 26, 12, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Unrelated, but on this route Singapore Airlines is by far the best airline.
Old Feb 26, 12, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Caz312. Thought that that might be the key, but did not want to find out the hard way. Your answer is much appreciated, as is the helpful link!

PVD do you mean best, as in best comfort or best award of miles.

Incidently, I joined Aegean this year (leaving Aeroplan) and all I want is my *G - still thing there is a catch with Aegean; 16000 really

Thanks to both!!
Old Feb 26, 12, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so do all of the above. And come up with a well price singapore fligh tthat has code: "NSP2".

Look at Aegean, nothing about "N" mentioned. ...? Is that the Greek way of saying nada?
Old Feb 27, 12, 12:32 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Originally Posted by unionsquare View Post
PVD do you mean best, as in best comfort or best award of miles.
I guess PVDtoDEL refers to comfort.
Old Feb 27, 12, 3:33 am

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Quite right, I was talking about comfort.
If you want the cheapest ticket that will still get you *G with Aegean, US Airways is probably the airline you should be looking at...

Search this Thread