Miles among carriers

Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Miles among carriers

I have miles on both United and US Airways. They are both part of Star Alliance- correct? Is there a way to transfer miles between partners? This may be obvious, but I cannot figure it out.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:56 pm

Not really.

Best to accrue all miles from the same alliance in to the one FF program.

What you CAN do of course is use US miles to redeem UA operated flights.. and vice versa. (Subject to availability naturally!)

Or even better.. use them to redeem on other *A airlines.. preferably in First/Business for the best value...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

So I could use my UA number on US Airways flights?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by marion10
yes....or a ua code share if the price is ok.....the code share will get you the 500 mi min on short flights on us rather than the bis.....assuming you are elite on ua...this from ft posts...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by marion10
This is the crux of alliance FF program reciprocity.

You can use your UA number to earn UA miles on US flights (or any other *A carrier), or vice-versa.

You can use your UA number to redeem UA miles through UA in exchange for US (or other *A carriers') flights and, likewise, redeem US miles through US for UA flights.

In the future, you should pick one *A program and collect your miles in one account. The only major downside of doing so is that you are typically only eligible for upgrades on the specific carrier where you maintain your status.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:42 pm

<EDIT: Beaten to the punch!>

For most people the best advice is: You can (and should) attach your chosen Star Alliance FF program number to EVERY *A flight you make - ... assuming the fare you have paid credits at all, then yes, those miles will credit to that program.

So you could book/fly with LH/OS/UA/US/NZ/CA/OZ etc etc and credit any miles earned to that one program.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks- I don't have elite status anywhere (maybe someday - I almost always fly United for work- but every once in awhile US Airways- I will make sure that my UA (well now I guess CO) number is used when I fly on US Airways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.