Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Using miles for a Star Alliance Circle Pacific Ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2011, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus

In late 2012 I'll be taking this trip: SFO-SIN-AKL-HNL-SFO using miles to cover all of my flights. Before booking I was hoping to compare the miles needed to book the legs individually vs. redeeming them for a Circle Pacific fare and perhaps adding in a few more stops along the way.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find out how many miles it would take to do that. The star alliance award charts have the mileage amount for round the world tickets, but not the regional ones. Is that because this option isn't available? Has anyone out there tried to do this?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
First of all, let me welcome you to Flyertalk.

In order to work out the number of miles needed, we will need an idea of which scheme you are collecting miles with.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CTcowboy
In late 2012 I'll be taking this trip: SFO-SIN-AKL-HNL-SFO using miles to cover all of my flights. Before booking I was hoping to compare the miles needed to book the legs individually vs. redeeming them for a Circle Pacific fare and perhaps adding in a few more stops along the way.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find out how many miles it would take to do that. The star alliance award charts have the mileage amount for round the world tickets, but not the regional ones. Is that because this option isn't available? Has anyone out there tried to do this?
If it's not on the chart for your carrier, it's not available.

As mentioned, we wouldn't be able to advise on strategy since you haven't mentioned your program.

One thing I would note is that AS has fairly inexpensive Bay Area-HNL flights (a few hundred dollars one-way), and there may be others as well, that might be useful in saving mileage on an award: in other words, constructing your trip as an open jaw with SFO-HNL as an unflown segment, stopover in AKL, destination SIN, and taking a paid one-way flight back.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Sorry for leaving out important information, like my mileage program. I'm a United Mileage Plus member (Premiere Platinum in 2012). Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give on this question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.