FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Which one airline do you wish was in the SA and why? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1242164-one-airline-do-you-wish-sa-why.html)

inthemix Jul 29, 2011 10:43 am

Which one airline do you wish was in the SA and why?

For me I think I go with BA. Having a London hub for stopovers and cheap connections on Ryan and Easyjet would be great

Jasper2009 Jul 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Based on my travel plans this year I´d say: Air Rarotonga :p:cool:

Seriously, I wouldn´t mind exchanging SQ for CX, other than that BA, QF and LAN all have a large network which I wouldn´t mind taking advantage of.

However, I don´t expect any of the large OW or ST members to "change sides" to *A anytime soon. There are still a few decent non-alliance members out there (and a whole lot more of mediocre ones) which may join *A, but I wouldn´t necessarily say I´m too thrilled about that prospect.

kiwiandrew Jul 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 16823224)

Seriously, I wouldn´t mind exchanging SQ for CX, other than that BA, QF and LAN all have a large network which I wouldn´t mind taking advantage of.

Absolutely! I would be happy to see the back of highly over-rated (we really believe our own publicity that we are better than anyone else) SQ in exchange for CX. An added bonus would be getting rid of the dull as dishwater Singapore as a hub and exchanging it for a real city, Hong Kong.

I can't really limit myself to one carrier though. In no particular order of preference:

Virgin Australia, it would be useful, though far from essential to have domestic Aussie on the *A network.

LAN - not for itself as such but because it would keep JJ in *A - there would also be the added benefit that it might render a certain poster on A.net temporarily speechless, in fact, now that I think about it, that would be my top reason and keeping JJ would fall into second place.:D

9W - purely because the AI mess has dragged on for far too long.

djjaguar64 Jul 29, 2011 2:50 pm

What about Air Lanka or whatever it is called now?

davewho?? Jul 29, 2011 2:55 pm

I think it would be VS or BA. If I had to choose between the two it would be VS. Simply because the service they offer is IMHO superior to BA.

aw Jul 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Sri Lankan I believe. Also, it seems Garuda is turning out to be a very improved carrier according to some reports.

starflyer Jul 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Emirates or Air India.

mahasamatman Jul 29, 2011 8:38 pm

My first choice would be TN for reasons which should be obvious.

kiwiandrew Jul 29, 2011 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 16824933)
My first choice would be TN for reasons which should be obvious.

Because their livery is pretty?

tonywestsider Jul 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by davewho?? (Post 16823439)
I think it would be VS or BA. If I had to choose between the two it would be VS. Simply because the service they offer is IMHO superior to BA.

+1 ^ Totally agree. And VS already code shares with so many of SA carriers that admittance to the group would be a seamless fit. :D

Yoshi212 Jul 29, 2011 9:16 pm

The Entire Virgin consortium. Virgin Atlantic, -America, -Blue & V-Australia.
It would fix the intra-OZ tranport problem, give a real lock on US domestic travel, give a UK routing hub, and bring in another airline known for good consistent service vs GREAT on 1 or 2 routes and lackluster on others.

caesar04 Jul 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Emirates, Etihad and Qatar.
Ever try to take *A to the Seychelles? :)

Santander Jul 29, 2011 10:07 pm

I'd also rather have CX over SQ. SQ is world-class, but they treat *G as nothing, PPS is deeply flawed (imo) and I'm not entirely convinced with their premium product. I think CX is better in almost every regard except for food in Y and the Kangaroo Route. Losing SQ for CX would allow Oneworld to have a near-monopoly on LHR-SYD flights. (SIN is more convenient than HKG) Regardless, being able to earn miles on CX while flying AC would be a dream come true!

Other airlines I'd like to see in *A would be:

VS: Complements BD's short-haul network well with long-hauls out of LHR. Great style and product, maybe a little too "sexy", especially compared to BA which is anything but.

9W: An Indian carrier joining is inevitable, so it might as well be the best one. I'm sure they could work out a way to split the market with LH and they both offer good products so it would make things only better for customers.

BA has a network any carrier would be jealous of and while they're a symbol of reliability and unity across the old Empire, I think I would rather have VS and BD instead. Unless my travel patterns force me to go to a lot of obscure places or fly LHR-JFK a lot, I'll accept fewer destinations in exchange for the Virgin style.

As for the other Virgin family members (VX and DJ), I'm pretty indifferent. I think VX has the best domestic NA product but I wouldn't give up UA/CO for them! Australia is in a similar situation as Canada, I think DJ joining *A is as likely as WS joining OW.

Uh Clem Jul 29, 2011 10:27 pm

I'd like to see Alaska Air join Star Alliance. I have a ton of Alaska Air miles and ever since Delta took over Northwest, it's become very difficult if not impossible to use my AS miles to get business or first class award tickets to Europe. Using my Alaska Air credit card much less now and my United credit card much more.

jbb Jul 29, 2011 10:40 pm

Now that I'm living in Singapore, I'm happy to have SQ in the alliance, though I concur with a previous poster's sentiment that as a member airline SQ is deeply flawed.

The separation of *Golds into the 'Krisflyer Gold' lounge at SIN instead of the Silver Kris Lounge is obnoxious to say the least. The Silver Kris Lounge at LHR is also pretty bare bones. I can also see how people describe SQ service as over-rated. I flew J from LHR-SIN and didn't think the in-flight service was any better than other main-line global carriers, though I admit that the food was far better than I've had on UA, AC, LH, LX and SA.

Also very surprised that SQ doesn't operate an arrivals lounge at SIN. I suppose they could make the argument that the airport is only 20minutes from the city centre so an arrivals lounge serves less purpose than in other major hubs. Still though, it seems like a glaring omission.