Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which one airline do you wish was in the SA and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which one airline do you wish was in the SA and why?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
YEs CX for SQ would be fantastic. 9W from india would be excellent. With both these on board the Asian product would be unbeatable ANA, Asiana, Cathay, Jet wow! Would make Air china and Thai tolerable...And it would be nice to see SQ get its comeuppance.

WHen LAN chile and TAM merge hope they choose *A (unlikely)

And if one is swapping....

Etihad would be a good choice and perhaps Egyptair could then be dropped I am sick of being forced to fly their frequently delayed, booze-free flights FRA-CAI connecting from GRU
:-)

Also Finnair instead of Scandinavian...

And Iberia instead of SPanair and TAP (of course this cannot happen) ...2 for the price of 1... Nice lounge and flatbeds in J , service and rudeness levels about the same...
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
As a CX Silver (think barely any status) I get treated better on CX than on SQ with Star Gold status and flying in Biz.

For the pain of dealing with SQ with my agency (who prefers UA or AC and CX or QF when we can't fly UA) - I'd rather fly CX even if it means a back hop through to HKG. CX would be awesome as they also have some fifth freedom routes (or legacy rights) on routes such as ICN-TPE, TPE-NRT, etc

With SQ focusing more and more on premium SIN traffic and abandoning routes like SIN-TPE-LAX I have limited need to ever have to fly SIN (exception HND-SIN ; but I try to get on the ANA flight when that happens)

SQ to me means: A fare so out of this world I could put 50% down on a new car for one RT. I'd rather get my D fare on other carriers and not even deal with the pompous SQ crowd

Back to reality (meaning those in Star or SkyTeam ARE NOT changing Alliances)... I would like:

VS/DJ/VA (Virgin Group of Airlines) to get off their hump and join an alliance - preference to * ; Sorry Mr. Branson but I choose to fly you very little in your own little turd pretend Virgin alliance (which BTW can't even credit a DJ flight to my VS account properly) - They may have more IT integration issues than AI

EK/Emirates

9W/Jet Airways

Being supportive of the other Alliances:

HA and AS: Come on your in bed with AA : Just join OW and let it be over... A lot of us here have OW lower tier memberships and just go join one and let us accure EQM's properly

Last edited by NickP 1K; Aug 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by caesar04
Emirates, Etihad and Qatar.
Ever try to take *A to the Seychelles?
Agree 100%!!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by caesar04
Emirates, Etihad and Qatar.
Ever try to take *A to the Seychelles?
You´ll be able to fly tz the Seychelles using Ethopian Airlines as soon as they´ve joined *A.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
You´ll be able to fly tz the Seychelles using Ethopian Airlines as soon as they´ve joined *A.
.... And when they start actually flying to the Seychelles considering they don't fly there
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pogonation
.... And when they start actually flying to the Seychelles considering they don't fly there
Got me. I guess I shouldn´t rely on any wikipedia articles. Ethopian Airlines is clearly listed in this chart, but it seems the ADD-SEZ route doesn´t exist (anymore?).
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I wish Star had gotten either SU or S7...the only other major player in Russia and the Former Soviet Union is UN, and I think SU and S7 are far superior.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:55 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
kick out SQ and pick CX ( SQ nearly no value to *aliance as nearly no premium awards available and bad earning rates )
kick out Egypt air and don't pick AI, instead pick EK QR ( Egypt air not really has a good product same like AI. and the network also covered by EK & QR even better and with very good products.
kick out LOT & TAM & Spannair and pick QF to cover the Australian continent.

quality should go over quantity ! And benefits for all members should be a given rule by *aliance ! Not like SQ them nearly not make any premium seat available to other FFP's .
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bertheike
kick out SQ and pick CX ( SQ nearly no value to *aliance as nearly no premium awards available and bad earning rates )
kick out Egypt air and don't pick AI, instead pick EK QR ( Egypt air not really has a good product same like AI. and the network also covered by EK & QR even better and with very good products.
kick out LOT & TAM & Spannair and pick QF to cover the Australian continent.

quality should go over quantity ! And benefits for all members should be a given rule by *aliance ! Not like SQ them nearly not make any premium seat available to other FFP's .
Alliances exist to make their member airlines money, not so that random frequent flyers can redeem miles to XYZ.

Earning rates, award availability, etc. is not a major factor in *A's decisions.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Among the currently non-aligned I have the following at the top of my list to join*A:

1) The entire Virgin Group of airlines

2) BR for increased routes into Southeast Asia

SunLover
Old Aug 8, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Alliances exist to make their member airlines money, not so that random frequent flyers can redeem miles to XYZ.

Earning rates, award availability, etc. is not a major factor in *A's decisions.
Well, i thought this is flyertalk, a board where FFers change there interest. And I still think most FFers are interested in premium awards on good airlines with a good network. If this would be an airlineboard, we would discuss about airline profit etc. So for me SQ has no value in *aliance anymore, ( because I never get seats in business and first, and the earning rates are also the most bad ones, even in full F/C ). My main reason to choose *aliance is to get the best ratio in earning and spending.
But back to the OP, him asked for which airline we would like to see in *aliance ( and the reason ).
Also my wish " not pick AI " is already heard ! http://articles.economictimes.indiat...ember-airlines

Last edited by bertheike; Aug 8, 2011 at 2:18 am
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
What about Air Lanka or whatever it is called now?
The airline is also keen to join an alliance with Oneworld or Star Alliance as preferred "as soon as practicable".[wikipedia quote)
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
AI and UL.

The South Asian coverage of * is S#@&
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I have to agree with a few other posts. 9W, CX, QF, EK and EY.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I have to agree with a few other posts. 9W, CX, QF, EK and EY.
Of this list, a grand total of 1 has even the remotest chance of joining *A (EY). The rest are not going to happen, so there is no need to hold your breath waiting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.