Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Global Airline Alliances

Star Alliance

Which one airline do you wish was in the SA and why?

Which one airline do you wish was in the SA and why?

Old Jul 30, 11, 5:52 am

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
For most Aussies, it would have to be Virgin and all the various Virgin airlines -- this is currently a vey confusing issue in OZ.. But ever since Ansett's demise the lack of a *A member in OZ has been a serious omission.

I totally agree with other posters - getting to the Seychelles from Down Under is a real challenge. So let's add a middle Eastern airlines while we're at it.
Old Jul 30, 11, 6:45 am

Middle Eastern Airlines would be a great addition, but would never happen- the larger ones at least.

For me, VA is an obvious choice, but they're still kinda-transitioning into their quasi-LCC phase and their FFP isn't really suited to alliance flying- their earning tables have no consistency, and their redemption rates are not uniform and are all over the place.
Old Jul 30, 11, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by caesar04 View Post
Emirates, Etihad and Qatar.
+1 ^ Just on of these would already be great addition!
Old Jul 30, 11, 7:41 am

Don't forget Gulf Air!

(the US Airways of the Middle East... just kidding! )
Old Jul 30, 11, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
MEA ??
Old Jul 30, 11, 10:36 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by starflyer View Post
Emirates or Air India.
If you are serious, your wish will be granted very soon.

LAX
Old Jul 31, 11, 1:35 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BD Gold
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
If you are serious, your wish will be granted very soon.

LAX
Or possibly not...
Old Jul 31, 11, 6:14 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller View Post
Thanks for the link. From the discussions I have been following intermittently in the Airlines of India forum, it seems like it's pretty much a done deal, but not officially announced. I am somewhat indifferent on this issue as I have no plans to visit India in the near future.

LAX
Old Jul 31, 11, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I agree with the previous posters' opinions on SQ premium class. We flew J SIN-SYD and my seat was broken (no sleep), the AVOD was stuck on a map and they refused me a meal. For compensation? 100SGD for their duty free. I never flew them again and will continue.

As for suggestions, yes the Virgin network would be amazing. The lack of internal *A in OZ is a real pain.

AI is a mistake. 9W is more fitting. But *A wants two carriers from India. Still a chance.

Middle East airlines will never join.
Old Aug 1, 11, 12:23 am
LAX

Originally Posted by Cozmo456 View Post
I agree with the previous posters' opinions on SQ premium class. We flew J SIN-SYD and my seat was broken (no sleep), the AVOD was stuck on a map and they refused me a meal. For compensation? 100SGD for their duty free. I never flew them again and will continue.

As for suggestions, yes the Virgin network would be amazing. The lack of internal *A in OZ is a real pain.

AI is a mistake. 9W is more fitting. But *A wants two carriers from India. Still a chance.

Middle East airlines will never join.
Well, it looks like AI won't be joining *A afterall. It has been posted over in the Airlines of India forum that AI's application has been suspended. Some speculated it's an indefinite suspension (ie: a nicer form of rejection).

LAX
Old Aug 1, 11, 7:43 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
9W and anything Virgin.
Old Aug 1, 11, 7:48 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
CX would be my first choice and then probably EK
Old Aug 2, 11, 9:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
MEA ??
Going into SkyTeam, unfortunately.
Old Aug 3, 11, 12:02 am

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
I would say EY (Etihad). Best inflight catering and phenomenal ground services. Great seat as well, but their catering I found better than most other carrier's first, and the fact that it's pretty much eat as you please and create the meals of your choosing. Their flight attendants are also aesthetically pleasing as well.

I wouldn't totally discount airlines Middle Eastern carriers from joining an alliance. Al Baker at QR has discussed pacts with *A (they have agreements with 9*A carriers and none from another alliance) and said it would need to be both mutually beneficial (which I think it would be).

EY has also discussed joining an alliance recently and has admitted talks. I think EY has a great network, but it's not domineering, like EK's, so IMHO I think they could compliment *A and benefit from *A immensely.

Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
Going into SkyTeam, unfortunately.
I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. ST can take ME and SV for all I care.
Old Aug 3, 11, 12:31 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Au, Shangri-La
Trading SQ for CX would be great.

Among at least semi-plausible candidates for entry into the alliance, I agree with 9W, as well as EY, or at least GF or WY (Oman Air). The latter two would be good choices to expand the GCC and sub-continent networks, add a few new destinations, and not threaten the long-haul business coveted by LH, TK, OS, TG, etc.

Even UL (Sri Lankan) as a sub-continent consolation prize would be better than nothing, and it's a decent airline in my limited experience. As of now, there is no way to fly eastward from DOH, and very limited options from other GCC cities besides DXB, on *A, except by back-tracking to IST or CAI, so this is an (albeit minor) hole that I would like to see closed (e.g., DOH-BKK, DOH-MLE, DOH-India, DOH-HKG). This was the only silver lining for me to see AI join, but UL would be even better, because of its relative quality and because Americans don't need a visit for CMB.

Not much left in east Asia, though HU (Hainan Airlines) gets good reviews and would suit me well personally via its flights from DXB to China, which often have very good business class fares.

Search this Thread