FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   VS to join Star? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1238742-vs-join-star.html)

BA_Jfan Jul 19, 2011 4:49 pm

VS to join Star?

VS (Virgin Atlantic) has a couple of Star partners including BMI, Continental, Singapore Air, south African Airways, ANA and Air New Zeland. Singapore Airlines actualy owns 49% of VS. What is the likelihood VS would formally join Star?

UAPremExecflyer Jul 19, 2011 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan (Post 16759165)
VS (Virgin Atlantic) has a couple of Star partners including BMI, Continental, Singapore Air, south African Airways, ANA and Air New Zeland. Singapore Airlines actualy owns 49% of VS. What is the likelihood VS would formally join Star?

Er, about none. The bearded jumper (Branson) has shown no inclination to join *A or any alliance before despite wooing, so I wouldn't hold your breath. The fact that VS has partnerships with SAA, ANA etc has nothing to do with much of anything.

libertyuk Jul 23, 2011 2:35 pm

VS has engaged in talks about joining *A some years ago. I understand UA made it very clear that it would veto it (presumably out of fears that VS would cannibalise UA's premium business between the US and London).

It would only be in VS's interests to join *A now and it has shown recent interest in doing so. It simply suffers from not being able to take advantage of much transit traffic at its hub at LHR as a result. Of course VS now codeshares with UA because UA inherited the CO codeshares, so who knows what the UA view of it is now?

dj_jay_smith Sep 20, 2011 4:42 am

According to this report, it looks like VS might be close to joing Star.

Virgin founder Richard Branson tells Forbes. “There is likely to be an announcement of an alliance coming very soon”

Branson declined to say which alliance Virgin would join, but it is unlikely to be OneWorld, the group that includes Virgin arch-competitor British Airways. That leaves Star Alliance, anchored by United Continental Holdings and Lufthansa, or SkyTeam, anchored by Delta Air Lines and Air France-KLM, as possibilities. Of those two, Virgin Atlantic’s operations are more closely aligned with Star Alliance: the airline is 49% owned by Star Alliance carrier Singapore Airlines, has expressed interest in buying BMI from Lufthansa, and includes nine Star Alliance members among its partners.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonbrune...chard-branson/

LAX Sep 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith (Post 17139526)
According to this report, it looks like VS might be close to joing Star.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonbrune...chard-branson/

Wow, that would be awesome news if true! What's *G going to do with BD, though? VS so many more options out of LHR than BD! Can LH actually block its entrance given that it owns BD?

LAX

mahasamatman Sep 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by LAX (Post 17144223)
Can LH actually block its entrance given that it owns BD?

Any of the five original members can veto any new members.

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Sep 20, 2011 10:24 pm

Well...

This should make for interesting speculation!!!

LAX Sep 21, 2011 12:21 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 17144778)

Just found out that VS is interested in taking BD off LH's hands, so I guess that won't be an issue!:p

LAX

kiwiandrew Sep 21, 2011 1:10 am

I have been told before that new members have to unanimously approved, if that is correct then any member can (in theory) veto a new member.

Of course you would have to be pretty brave as a minor player in the alliance to veto someone who the big boys all wanted on board.

jupper Sep 25, 2011 6:48 am

Shouldn't that be the six ? The five original members (UA, LH, AC, SK and TG) plus SQ ? I believe SQ joined later and demanded "founder rights"... :)

jupper Sep 25, 2011 6:51 am

Originally Posted by LAX (Post 17144223)
Wow, that would be awesome news if true! What's *G going to do with BD, though? VS so many more options out of LHR than BD! Can LH actually block its entrance given that it owns BD?

LH bought BD whilst already in *A. It is still unknown what LH will do with BD, but it might come to an agreement with VS, who knows...

I do see that VS could turn BD into a great feeder into their LHR operation. Would love to see a *A AMS-LON flight resume as well. It helped me out in irrops once before...

Xiaotung Sep 25, 2011 7:19 am

Originally Posted by jupper (Post 17168896)
Shouldn't that be the six ? The five original members (UA, LH, AC, SK and TG) plus SQ ? I believe SQ joined later and demanded "founder rights"... :)

I once heard NZ announce themselves as the 6th Star on the alliance network. After all NZ is the longest standing member after the 5 founders. And NZ CEO Rob Fyfe is Star Alliance Chairman.

mahasamatman Sep 26, 2011 10:21 pm

<not relevant. deleted.>