Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best F product from BKK to W.Europe?

Best F product from BKK to W.Europe?

Old Nov 21, 10, 7:50 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,730
Best F product from BKK to W.Europe?

Hi,

I am going to book with miles, so it has to be a *A carrier, however I don't care where in W.Europe the long-haul lands as I'm more than ok with a short hop back to Paris for the best longhaul experience. TG BKK right to CDG? LX, LH? In your opinion which *A carrier provides the best experience from BKK to W.Europe. Thanks!
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Nov 21, 10, 8:37 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 13,144
Does it have to be direct BKK-Europe? If so TG or LX. I've flown TG F several times in the past and my favorite aspect of their product is the catering, especially the Asian selection quality. I've never flown LX F thus far but all the reports I've read had almost nothing but positive feedbacks. People seem to be a big fan of LH F, but outside of of the FRA FCT, my experiences with them was below average.

If you don't mind connecting somewhere within Asia, I'd either go with NH or SQ. Two excellent products from my experiences. They have the best catering and best cabin crews among many airlines I have flown first class with. SQ IMO still has the best IFE out there.
Rejuvenated is offline  
Old Nov 21, 10, 8:46 pm
  #3  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,730
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated View Post
Does it have to be direct BKK-Europe? If so TG or LX. I've flown TG F several times in the past and my favorite aspect of their product is the catering, especially the Asian selection quality. I've never flown LX F thus far but all the reports I've read had almost nothing but positive feedbacks. People seem to be a big fan of LH F, but outside of of the FRA FCT, my experiences with them was below average.

If you don't mind connecting somewhere within Asia, I'd either go with NH or SQ. Two excellent products from my experiences. They have the best catering and best cabin crews among many airlines I have flown first class with. SQ IMO still has the best IFE out there.
I was hoping to go SYD-BKK-W.Europe and use BKK as a stopover point so yes needs to continue on direct from BKK back home. I hear the LX F product on the 330 is great, but I think they fly a 340 with the old F on BKK-ZRH and I don't know what kind of marks that gets.
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Nov 22, 10, 10:28 pm
  #4  
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Posts: 12,224
For additional discussion and assistance, I'll move this to the Star Alliance airlines forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Ocn Vw 1K is offline  
Old Nov 22, 10, 11:43 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NCL and LBA
Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,022
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
I was hoping to go SYD-BKK-W.Europe and use BKK as a stopover point so yes needs to continue on direct from BKK back home. I hear the LX F product on the 330 is great, but I think they fly a 340 with the old F on BKK-ZRH and I don't know what kind of marks that gets.
I have flown both the LX A330 and the A340. To me they are the same seat except the one on the 330 has slightly more privacy and a bigger screen. I have flown the ZRH-BKK route many times now in LX F and it is always an exceptional experience. IMO LX F is better than SQ F!!

Another decent option is TG F on the BKK-CDG route which is operated by a 77W leased from 9W. It has these beautiful suites in F and again the experience is fantastic. Check out my pictures from my most recent CDG-BKK flight here.

Those are by far the best two options from BKK to W.Europe ^
pogonation is offline  
Old Nov 24, 10, 7:19 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: BGO, BOS
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, BA Gold, *A Gold
Posts: 394
Are there any gateways either in W. Europe or Asia that gets you on the TG F BKK - CDG a bit cheaper if on paid tickets rather than awards (i.e. connecting frm somewhere else)? I've tried the Jet F suites on TK and wouldn't mind doing it again...


Originally Posted by pogonation View Post
I have flown both the LX A330 and the A340. To me they are the same seat except the one on the 330 has slightly more privacy and a bigger screen. I have flown the ZRH-BKK route many times now in LX F and it is always an exceptional experience. IMO LX F is better than SQ F!!

Another decent option is TG F on the BKK-CDG route which is operated by a 77W leased from 9W. It has these beautiful suites in F and again the experience is fantastic. Check out my pictures from my most recent CDG-BKK flight here.

Those are by far the best two options from BKK to W.Europe ^
RoarAhead is offline  
Old Nov 25, 10, 8:41 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NCL and LBA
Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,022
Originally Posted by RoarAhead View Post
Are there any gateways either in W. Europe or Asia that gets you on the TG F BKK - CDG a bit cheaper if on paid tickets rather than awards (i.e. connecting frm somewhere else)? I've tried the Jet F suites on TK and wouldn't mind doing it again...
ex:
BKK = 5870
SIN = 3310
KUL = 3990
HKG = 3433
ICN = 3193
HAN/SGN = 2880
PNH = 2900
CGK = 3485

One hell of a bargain IMO. Catch a cheap FD flight to HAN, SGN or PNH then only 2900 return ^

Prices aren't anywhere near as good ex CDG to any of the airports listed above.
pogonation is offline  
Old Jan 8, 11, 4:33 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: BGO, BOS
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, BA Gold, *A Gold
Posts: 394
That's great work Pogonation - even HKG/ICN ain't that bad.
RoarAhead is offline  
Old Jan 8, 11, 8:24 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,202
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated View Post
...I've never flown LX F thus far but all the reports I've read had almost nothing but positive feedbacks. People seem to be a big fan of LH F, but outside of of the FRA FCT, my experiences with them was below average.
I would agree with these sentiments. I did LX C on the outbound and LH F on the return on my recent TATL award and not even the Lufthansa First Class Lounge in Munich (not the FCT, but I've done that, too) was enough to convince me that LH F is worth the upcharge. I'd take TG F over them in a heartbeat just based on the potential for it to be better.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 11, 10:40 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: HKG
Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Posts: 2,520
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
TG BKK right to CDG
Fully agree and would go further to say that there is no real comparison as long as the 77W is still on the route. LX would be a second choice if availability forced it.

Rationale:
BKK First Lounges are some of the best in the world and definitely in the top 2 for Star Alliance (You could argue that the FRA F terminal is better depending on your view)
The 77W is one of the best First class "hard" (seat/suite/avod) products in the alliance, and fits perfectly for your itinerary, much better than an old 747 to other areas in Europe.

The service will probably be inferior to LX, as will the quality of the food, but I'd sacrifice it for the better beds/suite/avod product.

This is based on my own experience; a couple of LX Fs (though to other parts of Asia) on the old A340, then five TG F flights in the past year, twice on the A346, twice on the 77W and once on the 747 both starting, transiting and ending in BKK. My favourite ever flight has been an LX one though (ZRT-NRT) but if you originate in BKK you lose a few plus points of ZRH for this comparison.

Last edited by littlevoices; Jan 8, 11 at 10:46 am
littlevoices is offline  
Old Jan 27, 12, 4:19 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GOT
Posts: 1,069
Flying BKK-FRA on TG C earlier this week (fishbone config) I noticed that the F seat were very suite-y as well and similar to the 77W ones. Can anyone explain to me their difference? Thinking of going back to BKK soon and the TG F from FRA has a leg up on the competition as I'm based in GOT (CDg would include some backtracking).
SocialAdept is offline  
Old Jan 27, 12, 8:04 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stuck on this planet - mainly in STR and LAX
Posts: 4,633
Originally Posted by SocialAdept View Post
Flying BKK-FRA on TG C earlier this week (fishbone config) I noticed that the F seat were very suite-y as well and similar to the 77W ones. Can anyone explain to me their difference? Thinking of going back to BKK soon and the TG F from FRA has a leg up on the competition as I'm based in GOT (CDg would include some backtracking).
TG has a different F on the 77W (it has been discussed here a few times already). This planes also have the herringbone C - both are very nice and superior over what LH or many other carriers have.

Their older style F (on the 747 and the A3x0) is a bit dated similar to the old F of LH, LH, the C is not horizontal flat, also similar to LH.
Unterwegs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: