Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Asia-NA in Biz: AC vs NH vs OZ vs others

Old Jul 5, 10, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT

I'm planning a trip to NZ, OZ & Korea in May 2011. I'll be using bmi DC miles. The outbound will most likely be: DTW-(UA Y)-ORD-(UA Y)-LAX-(NZ C)-AKL(stopover)-(NZ Y)-ZQN & I will buy a revenue ticket to cover ZQN-SYD. On the return, I will be flying OZ C from SYD to ICN. I was wondering about Korea-North America. I would like some feedback re: the following choices.

AC J: ICN-NRT-YYZ-DTW (ICN-NRT on OZ; by going through NRT I avoid overnighting in YYZ)
NH C: ICN-NRT-ORD-DTW (ORD-DTW on UA)
OZ C: ICN-ORD-DTW (ORD-DTW on UA)
I don't know if this is bookable through bmi, but I was also thinking of LH C: ICN-FRA-DTW

I've read that in terms of seating, AC J wins hands-down as they are the only ones w/ fully-flat seats in biz. But food & service are supposedly not as good as other carriers. NH & OZ are apparently very good when it comes to food/drinks & service, but they have angled-flat seats.

Please correct me if I am wrong and I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Last edited by Lutz; Jul 5, 10 at 4:18 pm
Old Jul 5, 10, 4:25 pm

AC has very good IFE and of course the beds in the pods!! have you considered SQ ICN-SFO-DTW? You can get it all--flat bed, good food and great IFE!!
Old Jul 5, 10, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ac777 View Post
AC has very good IFE and of course the beds in the pods!! have you considered SQ ICN-SFO-DTW? You can get it all--flat bed, good food and great IFE!!
Thanks ac777. True, I did not consider SQ - didn't realize they had ICN-SFO. But I am not seeing any availability on ANA from now until then. Also, I'd have to stop in ORD or DEN as there is no direct SFO-DTW.

So among the rest, is AC the best option?
Old Jul 5, 10, 4:57 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post

I've read that in terms of seating, AC J wins hands-down as they are the only ones w/ fully-flat seats in biz. But food & service are supposedly not as good as other carriers. NH & OZ are apparently very good when it comes to food/drinks & service, but they have angled-flat seats.

Please correct me if I am wrong and I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
You've got it right...for the moment.

However, both OZ and NH are introducing new full lie-flat seats in Business. I would check out the OZ and NH forums for more info. I recall reading here on FT that the first plane with new business seating on OZ is flying the ICN-SFO route.
Old Jul 5, 10, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by ac777 View Post
You can get it all--flat bed, good food and great IFE!!
Having it all really depends on the eye of the beholder. I personally try hard to avoid SQ.

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler View Post
You've got it right...for the moment.

I recall reading here on FT that the first plane with new business seating on OZ is flying the ICN-SFO route.
Correct, the new OZ full flat biz class is operating to SFO, LAX (just once a week) and PEK.
Old Jul 5, 10, 5:37 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

So among the rest, is AC the best option?
If you can get the new OZ C then they will be by far the best option.
Old Jul 5, 10, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
NH now has flat beds NRT-JFK. AC has flat beds ICN-YVR on a 767. UA presently has flat beds ICN-SFO.

For me, going to DTW, I would try to maximize the time spent in a flat bed seat, so I would first try for AC NRT-YYZ or UA NRT-YYZ, assuming reasonable connection times. Of the carriers listed, I think NH has the best food by far, then OZ/AC then UA. For IFE, I would rank them UA (new AVOD only!), AC a close second, then NH and OZ in a distant last place.

SQ runs their 77w's ICN-SFO - are these even available for awards? (Not important to me as I am not a fan of their "cubicles.")
Old Jul 5, 10, 10:13 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
SQ runs their 77w's ICN-SFO - are these even available for awards?
Yes, if you are with SQ KF or LH M&M.
Old Jul 6, 10, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
For me, going to DTW, I would try to maximize the time spent in a flat bed seat, so I would first try for AC NRT-YYZ or UA NRT-YYZ, assuming reasonable connection times. Of the carriers listed, I think NH has the best food by far, then OZ/AC then UA. For IFE, I would rank them UA (new AVOD only!), AC a close second, then NH and OZ in a distant last place.
Thanks everyone for their inputs. What 1kBill said makes a lot of sense to me. Maximizing my time in a flat bed seat is probably the way to go, so AC is the front runner for now. Is either NH or OZ planning to offer flat-bed seats for NRT-ORD or ICN-ORD routes?

Last edited by Lutz; Jul 6, 10 at 9:36 pm
Old Jul 7, 10, 6:59 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks everyone for their inputs. What 1kBill said makes a lot of sense to me. Maximizing my time in a flat bed seat is probably the way to go, so AC is the front runner for now. Is either NH or OZ planning to offer flat-bed seats for NRT-ORD or ICN-ORD routes?
Not sure whether maximising time in a flat bed is really the deciding factor. Otherwise you can try OZ flat bed to LAX/SFO and then UA to DTW.
Old Jul 7, 10, 11:54 am

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Is either NH or OZ planning to offer flat-bed seats for NRT-ORD or ICN-ORD routes?
Too soon to tell, but as of right now, OZ is using non-AVOD equipped 2 class 772 for ICN-ORD.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: