Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

UA*G F Lounge access with SA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2010, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM

For all you UA*G gurus: I am traveling on SWISS from JNB-ZRH in F. LX uses the Virgin Atlantic Lounge in JNB (awesome!). I wanted to see the new F lounge for SA so I went with my LX F BP and my *G. I was told I could use the C lounge but not the F lounge for SA. I thought for *G on the same day of travel you could go into any Star Lounge for the same class of service? Fill me in please?
Old May 29, 2010, 10:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy
International First Class Customers: Customers have access to International First Class1 and/or any Star Alliance member carriers' own lounges.

Customer must present a boarding card for the same day travel in international First Class on a Star Alliance flight
Customer must be departing from the local airport in International First Class
Customer is entitled to one guest

1 Except: LH HON/First Class Lounges in FRA/MUC; LX HON/First Class Lounges in ZRH/GVA; OS HON/First Class Lounges in VIE; TG Spa Lounge in BKK
*G status is not a factor for FCL access but appears your rejection was in error
Old May 29, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: UA G
That's true of all Star lounges, but VA is not a Star member. LX has contracted with VA for lounge access in JNB. Evidently their contract extends only to VA's C lounge.

If there are other *A lounges in JNB, you're welcome to check them out.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
For all you UA*G gurus: I am traveling on SWISS from JNB-ZRH in F. LX uses the Virgin Atlantic Lounge in JNB (awesome!). I wanted to see the new F lounge for SA so I went with my LX F BP and my *G. I was told I could use the C lounge but not the F lounge for SA. I thought for *G on the same day of travel you could go into any Star Lounge for the same class of service? Fill me in please?
A couple of years ago, I was able to avail myself of the South African Airways Cycad First Class Lounge while flying in LH F from JNB to FRA. According to this page, "You can enjoy access to the Cycad First Class Lounge at OR Tambo and Cape Town International Airports if you are traveling on SAA or a Star Alliance member airline, on the same day of travel."

However, the verbiage goes on to say:

• SAA Voyager Lifetime Platinum or Platinum Card holder plus two guests;
  • Lufthansa Hons Circle Member plus one guest;
  • Lufthansa First Class passengers plus one guest;
  • Thai Airways First Class passengers.

So, its unclear to me whether or not access is restricted only to those passengers specifically mentioned in the list above.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: UA G
Yes, you can use the SAA lounge in JNB since you're a *G flying on a *A flight. You may not get into the SAA F lounge, but you will get into one of their lounges.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy
*G status is not a factor for FCL access but appears your rejection was in error
I went back to the SA Lounge and showed your quote, and they did NOT believe you (the nerve of them). Having come to South AFrica for 14 years I know it is useless to try anything else. Any time I have a problem with SA their response is " This is Africa we do not follow other's rules". I guess that also includes Star Alliance.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I went back to the SA Lounge and showed your quote, and they did NOT believe you (the nerve of them)......
Yes that is quite shocking

That quote is also in the Star Alliance Employee Reference Guide, page 140
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
They have their own rules on SAA......

Unable to get into either of the SAA "Premium" lounges today at CPT or JNB.

CPT to JNB on SAA, JNB to FRA on LH.

I have a BD*G and a grumpy face.

The lounge at JNB forbids all except SAA Premiums, First Class and LH HON......
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: CO-Platinum
Lounge Rejection *G flying SA in CPT and JNB

I was also told that *G members not allowed flying SA. They do not appear to be a "First only" lounge.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tlmckey
I was also told that *G members not allowed flying SA. They do not appear to be a "First only" lounge.
If your SA flights were domestic, they are often operated by SA Express, which is not a *A member. There are mixed reports on getting *G status honored when flying SA Express.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.