Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Long Train Runnin

Status Match Challenge

The Free Spirit Status Match Challenge is an opportunity for you to experience the most valuable benefits of the Free Spirit program. Show your loyalty to Spirit and immediately benefit from your Status levels. If you have elite status with another airline, we will give you the equivalent Free Spirit Status for ninety (90) days complimentary. Plus, you many earn ongoing Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on our Free Spirit page.

In three simple steps you could be on your way to enjoying Free Spirit Status.

1. Determine your eligibility
  • Must meet ALL the following criteria to participate in our Status Match Challenge:
    • You have not received a Status Match or complimentary Free Spirit Status in the past two years.
    • You currently have elite status with a qualifying airline that was earned through that airlines published requirements (complimentary status or status earned through a promotion does not qualify)
    • Must present an approved proof of membership document confirming your elite status with an airline listed above.
    • Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline levels are required for the Status Match Challenge.
2. Click here to complete the form and upload your documents.
  • If you met all the criteria listed above, call our Contact Center team at 1-833-728-3359, or fill out the form here to be enrolled in the Status Match Challenge.
  • Make sure youre ready to begin the challenge before you submit your request as your ninety-day complimentary Status period will begin within 24 hours after you receive the email confirmation of being accepted for a Status Match Challenge.
3. Enjoy the temporary Free Spirit Status by traveling with Spirit and/or spending on the Free Spirit Travel More Mastercard to earn the required Status Qualifying Points to retain the Status membership.

Once approved, you will be granted 90-days of Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on your current elite membership with another airline. If your request is not approved, youll receive an email notifying you of our decision.

Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline elite levels are qualified for the Free Spirit Status Match Challenge.

Enjoying your complimentary Free Spirit Status? Extend it by earning the required amount of Free Spirit SQP's during the 90-day complimentary period.
  • Your account will not be credited with Status Qualification Points (SQP's) equivalent to the normal earning requirement.
  • Our Guest Relations team will place you at the correct Status level based on your selected challenge level.
  • Enjoy full benefits of the Silver or Gold tier during the 90-day challenge period.
  • If you don't qualify at the end of the 90-day period under the terms of the Status Match Challenge, your membership level will be returned to the level it was prior to the challenge period.
  • If you meet the challenge criteria, you will enjoy the benefits of the Silver or Gold program level for the remainder of that calendar year plus the following calendar year.
  • If you do not meet the challenge criteria, the Silver or Gold status will be terminated immediately, and you will be returned to the Free Spirit level held prior to the Status Match Challenge.
  • You are allowed one Status Match Challenge every two years.
  • An email will be sent confirming the outcome of the Status Match Challenge

Link for info here:
https://customersupport.spirit.com/en-us/category/article/KA-01493
Print Wikipost

Spirt Airlines Status Challenge Info

Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
So it is valid through the 23rd and you got the notice on the 27th?
As I mentioned upthread, I was told my status challenge ended on Thursday the 23rd, but then it (possibly incorrectly) said I would keep my silver benefits. As of today it still shows me as silver. There was no message today; that is a screenshot from my profile. I also tried to book a ticket and silver benefits were included.

-J.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:20 pm

hope this SM will still be avail by Sept / Oct; any folks was able to get temp match to Gold with SWA CP? Thx
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Lame. Looked again today and I'm back to a standard Free Spirit member. Oh well.

-J.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So what happens if you book a flight while Gold, and get the free bag, but the flight is after the Gold status expires? Do you lose the free bag and have to pay for it?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Here's a data point. I submitted the status challenge application July 4th. Follow up July 15th with an email and as of today no response.

I have my first Spirit flight tomorrow and I thought it'd be plenty of time but I guess not.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
Here's a data point. I submitted the status challenge application July 4th. Follow up July 15th with an email and as of today no response.

I have my first Spirit flight tomorrow and I thought it'd be plenty of time but I guess not.
It took a month to approve mine, but when I received it essentially it had two months left, which means it was activated 4-5 days after I submitted it. So your flight normally should fall within the qualification period (unless what counts is when you booked it). You may even be able to challenge any costs you may incur for bags, for example, if you retroactively get the Gold for that time, but it is unclear. I wish they were clearer and more organized.
GVR Bill likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
It took a month to approve mine, but when I received it essentially it had two months left, which means it was activated 4-5 days after I submitted it. So your flight normally should fall within the qualification period (unless what counts is when you booked it). You may even be able to challenge any costs you may incur for bags, for example, if you retroactively get the Gold for that time, but it is unclear. I wish they were clearer and more organized.
😮 the promo status started on the date of the submitted form, not their approval date's, esp. their review or turn around time take a long while?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:06 pm

if i may ask, from which elite status did u get match? Is that status earned or matched? Thx
Old Aug 5, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Does anyone know - if you buy a ticket before the challenge, then get accepted into the Gold challenge, can you then update your rez to add free seat selection and a free bag?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by danhouston
if i may ask, from which elite status did u get match? Is that status earned or matched? Thx
AA Platinum, earned.

As of now I still have no matched status on Spirit. It's been over a month and my 2nd Spirit flight is this Tuesday.

I think if it doesn't process by then I'll give it on it.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 2:28 pm

Update. My Spirit match I submitted July 4th was approved today just in time for my flight tomorrow.

From email:
For the next 90 days, you’ll enjoy all the exciting benefits of GOLD Status with Free Spirit.

To retain your GOLD Status through December 31, 2023, you'll need to earn 1,250 Free Spirit Status Qualifying Points (SQP).
FYI, I can't select seats for free for my existing flight for tomorrow. However when I do a test booking it allows me to select seats for free.
GW McLintock likes this.

Last edited by BudgetJetsetter; Aug 8, 2022 at 2:36 pm
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:04 pm

Update. My Spirit match I submitted July 4th was approved today just in time for my flight tomorrow.

From email:

FYI, I can't select seats for free for my existing flight for tomorrow. However when I do a test booking it allows me to select seats for free.
so if i may ask, you've been Gold since July 4 or Aug? Thx
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
just saw this post; so the matched status does take effect after the request is recd rather than is approved 😮
nk15 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
so if i may ask, you've been Gold since July 4 or Aug? Thx
same as other post. I have about 60 days left in challenge as they backdated it. System did not show me as gold until I got the email.

I did read the other post before my flights. Since my status wasnt reflected in the system I didnt want to incur any costs and then challenge Spirit for reimbursement. Also no guarantee status match wouldve been approved.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:46 pm

same as other post. I have about 60 days left in challenge as they backdated it. System did not show me as gold until I got the email.

I did read the other post before my flights. Since my status wasnt reflected in the system I didnt want to incur any costs and then challenge Spirit for reimbursement. Also no guarantee status match wouldve been approved.
for ppl like me that wish to qualify for the challenge in '23, should wait til early Oct to submit the request

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.