Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines Collapses – Operational Meltdown Leads To Hundreds Of Delays + Cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit Airlines Collapses – Operational Meltdown Leads To Hundreds Of Delays + Cancel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2021, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
EDIT: Interesting... apparently Spirit has been offering to book passengers on other carriers in some circumstances. Curious if anyone's experienced that, given their probable lack of interlining agreements; do they hash out some distressed passenger prices last minute with other carriers?
The CNBC interview with NK's CEO said that they were buying tickets on other airlines to get passengers to their destinations, which, honestly, surprised me.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The CNBC interview with NK's CEO said that they were buying tickets on other airlines to get passengers to their destinations, which, honestly, surprised me.
Not to deprive them of the benefit-of-the-doubt, but I wonder exactly how many (or what percentage) of displaced passengers were offered this. And furthermore, how quickly they offered it, how practical those alternate itineraries were, etc.

They could very well have just offered this to a handful of passengers (and only done so after a lot of heming-and-hawing, and ultimately placed said passengers on mediocre itineraries), and still technically claim they placed passengers on other carriers. Not too unlike this Simpsons bit, "zero's a percent!"

MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
They have on occasion done this before. When Bob Fornaro was in charge he put a lot of emphasis on operations and publicly stated they would buy tickets on other airlines when necessary. In this case I'm not sure other airlines have capacity to move all of their passengers. It will be a while until the dust settles.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Agreed!

After a Spirit cancelation, I saw a friend's friend recommend she ask Spirit to book her onto Frontier "because they're sister carriers." What??? Beyond being similar in concept, they presumably have no relationship whatsoever lol.

EDIT: Interesting... apparently Spirit has been offering to book passengers on other carriers in some circumstances. Curious if anyone's experienced that, given their probable lack of interlining agreements; do they hash out some distressed passenger prices last minute with other carriers?

If someone was scheduled to travel between July 29th and August 8th, but is still stuck on August 12th, it's pretty bad.

"When possible" allows a lot of wiggle room. Maybe they mean that only a Motel6 costing $6 is possible.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
They have on occasion done this before. When Bob Fornaro was in charge he put a lot of emphasis on operations and publicly stated they would buy tickets on other airlines when necessary. In this case I'm not sure other airlines have capacity to move all of their passengers. It will be a while until the dust settles.
"When necessary."

So subjective! Not to be pessimistic, but to Spirit's policy manual, "when necessary" might mean, "When we can't get you home within two weeks of your departure, and we'll only offer this on the fourteenth day."

This isn't so much questioning Spirit specifically, as much as the abilities of any and every ULCC. Idk if they should offer this if this if they can't (or aren't) really doing it. (Or maybe they actually did it a lot when Bob was around.)

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If someone was scheduled to travel between July 29th and August 8th, but is still stuck on August 12th, it's pretty bad.

"When possible" allows a lot of wiggle room. Maybe they mean that only a Motel6 costing $6 is possible.
Haha yes, exactly.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nd2010
I remember reading an article about a consumer group looking in to passenger complaints about airlines and Spirit was the worst.

https://uspirg.org/news/usf/report-s...-about-airline
Unfortunately, this is how most people get their news. Little to no context (and from 2014). Spirit absolutely sets themselves up for complaints with their fee-based model. I like the George Calin quote "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." It's inevitable that people don't read and expect things. I see it almost every trip.

Since that article in 2014, they have gotten a lot of notice for improving their operations. .

https://www.globenewswire.com/en/new...ort-World.html

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/w...airlines-2019/

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...614-story.html

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/busines...410-story.html
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
For those affected by cancellations, anyone received $100 credit from the airlines along with 1000 points?
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
For those affected by cancellations, anyone received $100 credit from the airlines along with 1000 points?
Nope. Nothing. No follow-up or reason which is expected. If you got one consider yourself lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.