Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines Collapses – Operational Meltdown Leads To Hundreds Of Delays + Cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit Airlines Collapses – Operational Meltdown Leads To Hundreds Of Delays + Cancel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2021, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mravintz
Can anyone tell me how far in advanced they received notice that their flight was cancelled? We're flying out Monday morning from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach and will drive if our flight is cancelled, but would love to know before we arrive at the airport.
its unclear spirit is a cluster.... and might cancel days before or not till hours later
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mravintz
Can anyone tell me how far in advanced they received notice that their flight was cancelled? We're flying out Monday morning from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach and will drive if our flight is cancelled, but would love to know before we arrive at the airport.
It can be anywhere from in advance to after the flight was supposed to depart. At the rate Spirit's operations are going, I would just plan on driving now and not wait for Spirit to cancel.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by sunnn
its unclear spirit is a cluster.... and might cancel days before or not till hours later
At this point I'd just get ready to drive and forget about playing Spirit Russian Roulette. Your worst case scenario would not be last minute cancellation outbound, but cancellation when returning, which you'd have no option of getting back at reasonable cost.
wrp96 and FlyerDigits like this.

Last edited by vincewy; Aug 7, 2021 at 11:51 am
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Yeah even Kenny Rogers wouldn't gamble with NK right now.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The biggest mystery is why they are not drawing down their schedule and cancelling flights in advance. Why wait for everybody to check in their bags and be ready to board and then cancel? If they know that if everything goes perfectly, they only have staff to run 70% of the flights, why are they still selling 100%? If they cancel a bunch of flights now for the next week, people can decide to either not travel, find an alternative, or move the dates to a later time while they are home. It is a much bigger pain--especially on the return to have checked out of one's hotel, pay to get to the airport and only then find out you are SOL--and by that point there may be no other options that day.

They must really be running on empty in the scheduling/management team right now.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The biggest mystery is why they are not drawing down their schedule and cancelling flights in advance. Why wait for everybody to check in their bags and be ready to board and then cancel? If they know that if everything goes perfectly, they only have staff to run 70% of the flights, why are they still selling 100%? If they cancel a bunch of flights now for the next week, people can decide to either not travel, find an alternative, or move the dates to a later time while they are home. It is a much bigger pain--especially on the return to have checked out of one's hotel, pay to get to the airport and only then find out you are SOL--and by that point there may be no other options that day.

They must really be running on empty in the scheduling/management team right now.
It's greed. If they cancel out flights ahead, they have to provide refunds to all the customers. But keeping the flight as scheduled and then waiting until the last minute, they figure some passengers might cancel on their own, or move the flight. They can also collect payments for the sale of new seats while not actually being intent of providing service.

Back in 2020, things were getting really bad around March, but Spirit wasn't canceling its flights ahead while other carriers were more active on cancellations. Spirit was offering no change penalties for those that wished not to fly because of the pandemic. So I changed the ticket for another flight. New flight was cheap, far out, and I did the option to allow one change. But, the actual original flight ended up being cancelled the day of the flight, and I could have received a refund had the flight been cancelled earlier.

Last edited by beyondhere; Aug 8, 2021 at 8:21 am
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Here's a DP for cancellation refund.

Original PNR CMH-LAX-CMH (8/5-8/10), submitted refund request 8/5 (waited until day of departure while keeping my DL ticket), and refund showed up on my credit card today (8/8).
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by beyondhere
It's greed. If they cancel out flights ahead, they have to provide refunds to all the customers. But keeping the flight as scheduled and then waiting until the last minute, they figure some passengers might cancel on their own, or move the flight. They can also collect payments for the sale of new seats while not actually being intent of providing service.

Back in 2020, things were getting really bad around March, but Spirit wasn't canceling its flights ahead while other carriers were more active on cancellations. Spirit was offering no change penalties for those that wished not to fly because of the pandemic. So I changed the ticket for another flight. New flight was cheap, far out, and I did the option to allow one change. But, the actual original flight ended up being cancelled the day of the flight, and I could have received a refund had the flight been cancelled earlier.
At some point they will need to cancel flights period in order to allow them to reset, get their pilots, FA to their designated base and start working on moving people out. I can only imagine that the local authorities from the airports affected already have had enough with the crowds congregating trying to fly out. Yes, there are people that are pro-active and have canceled on their own, and looked for alternatives transportations, but that is not all of them.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bgasser
I am curious if Spirit offers a super-sale, how many of these disgruntled passengers will be right back buying tickets. I constantly read stories of bad experiences on Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier, with customers claiming they will never fly them again. Yet when I walk by their gate area, these airlines are always full. I doubt either Spirit or their passengers will change behavior as a result of this meltdown.
Having flown Spirit a ton of times, I can confidently tell you that 4/5 angry people are mad because they just show up with baggage, and get mad when told it's going to be $65.

While this is a colossal disaster for Spirit, it's not going to last forever. If anything, there will likely be less of a chance of this in the future. I'll use that opportunity to scoop up some more $150 RT flights while the "never agains" go on Southwest for $500
BearX220, jjbiv and gsupstate like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:13 am

Flight to PVR still scheduled for tomorrow... At check in T-24 it assigned me 3 big front seats. No idea what's going on!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:51 am

I remember reading an article about a consumer group looking in to passenger complaints about airlines and Spirit was the worst.

https://uspirg.org/news/usf/report-s...-about-airline
Old Aug 10, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by quikshifter
Flight to PVR still scheduled for tomorrow... At check in T-24 it assigned me 3 big front seats. No idea what's going on!
Assigned one person 3 big front seats, or 3 separate people? This happened to me before -- my wife and I bought the cheapest seats I could think of ($0.01 base fare) and didn't buy any extras, but when we checked in we got the big front seats. Thought maybe it was a equipment swap (since I believe some of their planes don't have these seats?) but it wasn't .. I got those seats. Quite comfortable for a penny.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I don't agree. I think that most passengers (especially those on spirit) have absolutely no clue what an interline agreement is, looks like, smells like, or means to them.
They do. They just don't know the term nor what it actually means. Previous experience and anecdotal evidence when traveling on legacy carriers teaches them that sometimes they can be booked on another airline during IRROPS. When the stuff hits the fan with NK (or F9 or WN), they start screaming at the TA or GA to rebook them on another airline. That's when they learn that NK doesn't have that ability.

I remember one of my first business trips. I was asked last-minute to fly to SAN to join a project. Airfares were pretty crazy, but NK was something like $100 each way (next cheapest was WN at around $350 each way). I figured I would be nice and try to save the client some money and booked NK. DEN-SAN on NK went off without a hitch. However, on the return, the flight was delayed multiple times and eventually cancelled. I eventually got to the front of the line, and the TA said I could be put on another flight in three days. The only other airline that had a flight back to DEN that late in the evening was WN, and they were charging $600. I bought it, and that flight was delayed, and I didn't get home until like 2:30am. Lesson learned: I could've saved most of my headaches by buying WN for basically the same price.

I have flown NK, F9, and Ryanair. When things go right, it's perfectly fine. However, when things go wrong, you better have a solid plan B.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
That was predictable: https://thepointsguy.com/news/dot-wa...irit-airlines/

A source at the DOT confirmed to TPG that the department has been in contact with Spirit in regards to the airline canceling as many as 60% of its daily flights over six days last week, “reminding” the airline of its obligations to customers under federal law.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
They do. They just don't know the term nor what it actually means. Previous experience and anecdotal evidence when traveling on legacy carriers teaches them that sometimes they can be booked on another airline during IRROPS. When the stuff hits the fan with NK (or F9 or WN), they start screaming at the TA or GA to rebook them on another airline. That's when they learn that NK doesn't have that ability. [...]
Agreed!

After a Spirit cancelation, I saw a friend's friend recommend she ask Spirit to book her onto Frontier "because they're sister carriers." What??? Beyond being similar in concept, they presumably have no relationship whatsoever lol.

EDIT: Interesting... apparently Spirit has been offering to book passengers on other carriers in some circumstances. Curious if anyone's experienced that, given their probable lack of interlining agreements; do they hash out some distressed passenger prices last minute with other carriers?

Last edited by futuramadramallama; Aug 13, 2021 at 1:17 am Reason: New Info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.