FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spirit-airlines-free-spirit-774/)
-   -   Spirit announces new bag fees (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spirit-airlines-free-spirit/1341925-spirit-announces-new-bag-fees.html)

N830MH May 2, 2012 12:17 am

Spirit announces new bag fees

This is ridiculous!!! Why they charging $100 carryon bag fee? This is so stupid! I can't stand it!

http://www.spirit.com/OptionalFees.aspx

This is so insane!! No one would get charging checked & carryon bag fees. This should have enough anymore checked bag fees. Those people who does not want to pay the bag fees. It's time to bring the free checked bag back now!

Good riddance to Spirit & CEO!!! :mad::mad::td::td:

rxziebel May 2, 2012 7:51 am

Hi,

The carry-on bag fee is not $100, unless you try to board at the gate with a bag that is too big. The regular carry-on fee is much less.

The issue with carry-on bag fee is silly unless you look at the total fare paid. If Spirit is $290 from Las Vegas to Chicago INCLUDING all bag fees, booking fees, seating fees etc, and the other airlines are $300 or more then Spirit is a good choice.

Really, this focus on bag fees and such is silly. Look at the total charge and make the best decision. Don't spend more for another airline just so you can say you got a "free" carry-on.

:)

fairviewroad May 2, 2012 10:53 am

Originally Posted by rxziebel (Post 18498889)
Hi,

The carry-on bag fee is not $100, unless you try to board at the gate with a bag that is too big. The regular carry-on fee is much less.

The issue with carry-on bag fee is silly unless you look at the total fare paid. If Spirit is $290 from Las Vegas to Chicago INCLUDING all bag fees, booking fees, seating fees etc, and the other airlines are $300 or more then Spirit is a good choice.

Really, this focus on bag fees and such is silly. Look at the total charge and make the best decision. Don't spend more for another airline just so you can say you got a "free" carry-on.

Of course, Spirit likes its potential customers to live under the fictitious premise that the scenario you described is the norm. Yes, there are definitely times when it's cheaper to fly Spirit even after all the fees. But the reality is that unless you take great pains to avoid ALL fees then you frequently end up paying the same price.

A simple dummy booking of a LAS-ORD itinerary in August confirms this. Spirit offers $128. Legacies (or SWA to MDW) offer $168. Both prices include taxes but not optional fees. (Spirit makes it hard to figure out which fees will actually apply since you have to register on their website to get a final cost.)

But let's say you simply want to carry on a bag. It will cost you an additional $35 on Spirit, bringing their fare to $163. Of course, if you want to check a bag (it's more expensive on Spirit than on the legacies) the price is now even. (And if you choose SWA in this scenario, you're well ahead of Spirit by this point.)

So yeah, it would be cheaper on Spirit for a quickie weekend trip with a small purse (or whatever men use on Spirit) but for a real-world traveler it's generally no bargain.

Rookie3 May 2, 2012 11:16 am

The $5 increase for carryons with the new $2 fee for kiosk boarding pass printouts (they previously started charging $5 for the agent to print it) alters my value proposition between LAX and Vegas - they are nickel and diming me over to Southwest.

rxziebel May 2, 2012 11:49 am

Originally Posted by fairviewroad (Post 18500243)
Of course, Spirit likes its potential customers to live under the fictitious premise that the scenario you described is the norm. Yes, there are definitely times when it's cheaper to fly Spirit even after all the fees. But the reality is that unless you take great pains to avoid ALL fees then you frequently end up paying the same price.

A simple dummy booking of a LAS-ORD itinerary in August confirms this. Spirit offers $128. Legacies (or SWA to MDW) offer $168. Both prices include taxes but not optional fees. (Spirit makes it hard to figure out which fees will actually apply since you have to register on their website to get a final cost.)

But let's say you simply want to carry on a bag. It will cost you an additional $35 on Spirit, bringing their fare to $163. Of course, if you want to check a bag (it's more expensive on Spirit than on the legacies) the price is now even. (And if you choose SWA in this scenario, you're well ahead of Spirit by this point.)

So yeah, it would be cheaper on Spirit for a quickie weekend trip with a small purse (or whatever men use on Spirit) but for a real-world traveler it's generally no bargain.

Excellent idea. I did a dummy booking to get final costs. Depart LAS to ORD on 08/11 and return on 08/18.

Spirit, with 1 checked bag AND 1 carry-on bag = $407
Depart LAS on 08/11 at 1AM and arrive ORD at 6:26AM
Depart ORD on 08/18 at 3:30PM and arrive LAS at 5:16PM

United, with 1 checked bag (carry-on bag is free) = $413
Depart LAS on 08/11 at 6AM and arrive ORD at 11:30AM
Depart ORD on 08/18 at 5:30PM and arrive ORD at 7:22PM

So, apples to apples, Spirit is $6 cheaper. Now, remove the carry-on bag (since you are checking a bag I am sure you can get by with the smaller personal item) and the cost for Spirit is $347.

This is what I mean. It is silly to complain about the fees for carry-on and seat selection and buying online and so on when the TOTAL is cheaper than the other airlines. I understand the value of Mileage Plus and AAdvantage etc and do not dispute the value of them. I just am commenting on the whining about "fees" charged when the whiner does not take into account the TOTAL cost of the trip.

alphaeagle May 2, 2012 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by rxziebel (Post 18498889)
Hi,

^

A lot of times where Spirit was an option for me the price has been significantly cheaper, even with the fees. And if I could get by without paying many or any of them, the ticket is a bargain. The miles earned through another carrier wouldn't be enough to offset the extra cost.

Now I normally change travel dates or figure out a cheaper way on other airlines as I don't want to lose out on some of the perks of my status. But I've been lucky to have been flexible enough to do that.

fairviewroad May 2, 2012 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by rxziebel (Post 18500647)
Excellent idea. I did a dummy booking to get final costs. Depart LAS to ORD on 08/11 and return on 08/18.

Spirit, with 1 checked bag AND 1 carry-on bag = $407
Depart LAS on 08/11 at 1AM and arrive ORD at 6:26AM
Depart ORD on 08/18 at 3:30PM and arrive LAS at 5:16PM

United, with 1 checked bag (carry-on bag is free) = $413
Depart LAS on 08/11 at 6AM and arrive ORD at 11:30AM
Depart ORD on 08/18 at 5:30PM and arrive ORD at 7:22PM

So, apples to apples, Spirit is $6 cheaper. Now, remove the carry-on bag (since you are checking a bag I am sure you can get by with the smaller personal item) and the cost for Spirit is $347.

This is what I mean. It is silly to complain about the fees for carry-on and seat selection and buying online and so on when the TOTAL is cheaper than the other airlines. I understand the value of Mileage Plus and AAdvantage etc and do not dispute the value of them. I just am commenting on the whining about "fees" charged when the whiner does not take into account the TOTAL cost of the trip.

But you can just as easily say "remove the checked bag" instead of the carry-on. (I have no problem surviving for a week on the clothes I can fit into a standard carry-on...done it many times.) Now, you save $50 r/t on United and their price drops to $363. And after November 6, the Spirit checked bag fee increases $4 r/t so now it's $351 to $363.

So yeah, it's still cheaper to fly on Spirit. But that's only if you know at the time of booking whether you'll need to check a bag. If you wait until you check-in, add another $10 r/t....which makes it $361 to $363...etc...

I mean, we could run circles around each other comparing fees. I have no problem if someone wants to use Spirit...more power to ya...they don't really fly where I want to go so it's largely a moot point for me. But my point is that Spirit markets itself as an "ultra low fare" carrier yet in many cases the difference is slight. So yeah, it's not horrible in the end, and neither is it a deal.

pirossalma May 2, 2012 8:05 pm

Just one remark, leaving LAS at 1 AM, arriving to Chicago at 6:26 AM might not be very comfortable for most of the people. It means basically you hardly have time to sleep. How do you spend your time till 1 AM?

This ONE particluar flight might be so cheap because for business travelers it is useless.

Usually "red eye" flights are much more cheaper - with any airline.

CaliforniasCentralCoast May 2, 2012 8:10 pm

Spirit Airlines raising carry-on fee to $100

The Florida airline has announced that effective Nov. 6 the price for a spot in the overhead bin purchased at the gate will run passengers a $100, up from the current rate of $45. Customers who buy a spot in the overhead at Spirit's airport kiosks will pay $50 up from $40 and those buying online will shell out an extra $5 come November. A small bag that can fit under the seat is still free.

Several other fees will be going up as well, and the new Spirit fare schedule can be found at http://www.spirit.com/OptionalFees.aspx.

dhammer53 May 2, 2012 9:23 pm

That's the funniest thing I've read on Flyertalk since September 2000. :D :D

dh

Science Goy May 2, 2012 9:58 pm

But aside from the 350% markup resulting from (not so) optional fees, Spirit is so cheap!!

Landice May 2, 2012 10:17 pm

Interesting strategy. For some of my business travels, it's merely a simple day trip, and this business plan may work. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the discounted fares will be attractive enough to appeal to the broader base traveler.

CBear May 2, 2012 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Landice (Post 18504492)
Interesting strategy. For some of my business travels, it's merely a simple day trip, and this business plan may work. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the discounted fares will be attractive enough to appeal to the broader base traveler.

It will appeal to the same group of people who thinks getting something online for $10 cheaper than in a local store is a good deal and then they'll shell out $30 in shipping.

Spiff May 2, 2012 10:58 pm

One more reason to never, ever fly this miserable excuse of an airline.

I'll not shed a tear should the FAA revoke NK's operating certificate for any reason.

OverThereTooMuch May 2, 2012 11:06 pm

I like it. ^

They make the gate charge painful enough that people won't want to do it. That lets them process the payments when people are checking in, instead of in the time leading up to departure. That frees up their agents to work on other tasks.

I think other airlines could really benefit by clamping down a little more on their carry-on policies (maybe not to the level of charging for all carry ons). Stop all of the morons from dragging their huge bags down the aisle, or letting them gate check for free. As long as they are clear about it, and there are baggage sizers at the check in counter, people shouldn't complain. They will, but they shouldn't.