FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   Bringing food and alcohol into Spain (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/897867-bringing-food-alcohol-into-spain.html)

ecrusse Dec 10, 2008 2:24 pm

Bringing food and alcohol into Spain

Hello all, I am about to leave for my trip to Spain now and I appreciate the previous advice you have given me about the invitation letter. I know the policies for alcohol and food in the U.S. but do not know them for places abroad. If I bring packaged candy and 6 bottles of beer in my checked luggage from the U.S. into Spain will it be consficated or will I have to pay any extra fees for bringing it into the country? Thanks

STBCypriot Dec 12, 2008 3:40 am

I doubt it. Candy is definitely no problem and I'm sure that the beer won't be either. Just wrap that beer up good so it doesn't break and ruin your luggage. Go through the nothing to declare line.

spainflyer Dec 12, 2008 4:09 am

Absolutely no problem. Just don't try to bring the good Spanish ham with you when you return to the US! :D

sds1493 Dec 22, 2008 2:58 am

Sorry, to hijack this thread, but what are the rules from an EU country (UK)?

David-A Dec 22, 2008 3:38 am

Originally Posted by sds1493 (Post 10946588)
Sorry, to hijack this thread, but what are the rules from an EU country (UK)?

Entry rules are a matter for the country you are entering.

Where are you travelling TO from the UK?

sds1493 Dec 22, 2008 3:57 am

Into Spain.
Sorry, I thought it was obvious as the original topic was into Spain from USA. I've googled, but can't find anything.

iff Dec 22, 2008 4:32 am

Originally Posted by sds1493 (Post 10946716)
Into Spain.
Sorry, I thought it was obvious as the original topic was into Spain from USA. I've googled, but can't find anything.

A Google search for spain customs regulations brings up lots of sites. Here's one: http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/ES-S...ns-details.htm

sds1493 Dec 22, 2008 5:03 am

Originally Posted by iff (Post 10946777)
A Google search for spain customs regulations brings up lots of sites. Here's one: http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/ES-S...ns-details.htm

Thanks. So, just to confirm, ALL food products from the UK can be brought into Spain, with no weight limit.

newgroundhogbrit Dec 23, 2008 9:19 am

Originally Posted by sds1493 (Post 10946845)
Thanks. So, just to confirm, ALL food products from the UK can be brought into Spain, with no weight limit.

Not necessarily true. Restictions will definitely apply to foodstuffs even within the European Union. Even items that are normally allowed are sometimes restricted in special circumstances: Foot & Mouth Disease, Avian Flu, etc. You need to specifically check with the Spanish authorities. The official Spanish tourist website says the following:
http://www.spain.info/TourSpain/Info...tm?Language=EN

'According to European Commission regulations, travellers may not bring foodstuffs of animal origin into Spain as part of their baggage (meats, meat products, milk and dairy products). The only exceptions to this are powdered milk for children in commercial packaging, and special foodstuffs required for medical conditions. Other foodstuffs can be brought into Spain up to a maximum weight of one kilogram.

Travellers are permitted to bring personal baggage into Spain, including items for personal or family use, or to be given as presents. These will not be considered as commercial goods regardless of the quantity or type of goods. This appraisal will be carried out by the customs services on arrival.

Sums of money in excess of 6,010.12 Euro must be declared. Currently, over 18s are authorised to carry 200 cigarettes, or 100 cheroots, or 50 cigars, or 250 grams of rolling tobacco. As far as alcohol is concerned, you are allowed to bring in one litre of drink (over 22% alc. by volume), or two litres (under 22% alc. by volume). Perfumes are also limited to 50 grams of perfume and 0.25 litres of eau de toilette.'

This could cost you money if you ignore it so take advice. I am not an expert.

graraps Dec 23, 2008 9:29 am

Originally Posted by newgroundhogbrit (Post 10953820)
Not necessarily true. Restictions will definitely apply to foodstuffs even within the European Union. Even items that are normally allowed are sometimes restricted in special circumstances: Foot & Mouth Disease, Avian Flu, etc.

No, they won't (with the exception of the special disease-prevention circumstances you mention).
Even if they did, when was the last time you ever saw somebody being stopped in the blue channel? Mine probably was in 2004...

newgroundhogbrit Dec 24, 2008 3:40 am

Originally Posted by graraps (Post 10953893)
No, they won't (with the exception of the special disease-prevention circumstances you mention).
Even if they did, when was the last time you ever saw somebody being stopped in the blue channel? Mine probably was in 2004...

As I say - not an expert - just relaying the Spanish advice. As for blue channel stops - me, last week, return to UK from AMS - must have fitted some profile or other for the day. Either that or they were really, really, bored.

Stockycub1973 Dec 24, 2008 8:07 am

Originally Posted by newgroundhogbrit (Post 10958220)
As I say - not an expert - just relaying the Spanish advice. As for blue channel stops - me, last week, return to UK from AMS - must have fitted some profile or other for the day. Either that or they were really, really, bored.

Just an assumption, but I would suspect that is more down to coming back from Amsterdam. A spot check or two to discourage folk from bringing back anything 'herbal'.;)

graraps Dec 24, 2008 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Stockycub1973 (Post 10958862)
Just an assumption, but I would suspect that is more down to coming back from Amsterdam. A spot check or two to discourage folk from bringing back anything 'herbal'.;)

It's certainly not usual. I fly from/to the UK via AMS at least 3-4 times a year, and I can't recall having been stopped once...

Sjoerd Dec 25, 2008 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Stockycub1973 (Post 10958862)

95% of my flights are to or from AMS, for obvious reasons. I can't remember the last time I was stopped at customs, anywhere.

red star Dec 26, 2008 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by newgroundhogbrit (Post 10953820)
Not necessarily true. Restictions will definitely apply to foodstuffs even within the European Union. Even items that are normally allowed are sometimes restricted in special circumstances: Foot & Mouth Disease, Avian Flu, etc. You need to specifically check with the Spanish authorities. The official Spanish tourist website says the following:
http://www.spain.info/TourSpain/Info...tm?Language=EN

'According to European Commission regulations, travellers may not bring foodstuffs of animal origin into Spain as part of their baggage (meats, meat products, milk and dairy products). The only exceptions to this are powdered milk for children in commercial packaging, and special foodstuffs required for medical conditions. Other foodstuffs can be brought into Spain up to a maximum weight of one kilogram.

Travellers are permitted to bring personal baggage into Spain, including items for personal or family use, or to be given as presents. These will not be considered as commercial goods regardless of the quantity or type of goods. This appraisal will be carried out by the customs services on arrival.

Sums of money in excess of 6,010.12 Euro must be declared. Currently, over 18s are authorised to carry 200 cigarettes, or 100 cheroots, or 50 cigars, or 250 grams of rolling tobacco. As far as alcohol is concerned, you are allowed to bring in one litre of drink (over 22% alc. by volume), or two litres (under 22% alc. by volume). Perfumes are also limited to 50 grams of perfume and 0.25 litres of eau de toilette.'

This could cost you money if you ignore it so take advice. I am not an expert.

This statement is true for travel from outside the EU into spain but certainly not within the Community.