Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entry Requirements into Spain..invitation letter

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Entry Requirements into Spain..invitation letter

I'm new to this site but I did search this topic and was unable to find anything relevant to my question. I have never travelled internationally before so this is all very new to me and I would appreciate any help or advice. I am planning a trip to Spain and am departing in 17 days. I booked my plane ticket several months ago and thought I had everything in order for the trip. I have a U.S. passport that I recieved in April of this year and am a U.S. citizen. I know a family that I was planning to stay with the entire duration of my stay (3 weeks). Searching online I thought the only thing I needed for entry was a valid U.S. passport held for at least 3 months but today I saw on a site describing a carta de invitacion I would need if I wasn't staying in a hotel. The site said it would take at least a month and a half to get! What will happen when I arrive in Spain? I am only traveling for tourist purposes and visiting the family I know. Do I have to have this letter and if so is there anyway around this requirement (book hotel reservations then cancel, etc.)? I do have a round trip flight so I will have my return flight ticket available to present to the customs agent in Spain. Any help is appreciated, Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:37 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Where did you get this information?

You do not need a visa to stay in Spain for less than 90 days. Spain is one of the Schengen countries so your total stay in the Schengen countries cannot exceed 90 days without a visa.

I searched for carta de invitacion and found that this is not a mandatory requirement. It appears that this is part of a concern related to illegal immigration from non-EU and non Schengen member countries. It is highly unlikely that Spain is concerned about US citizens immigrating illegally to Spain (though perhaps they should be concerned in the near future).

I would contact the Spanish consulate to be sure. Perhaps they could assist you.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have entered Spain several times in the past few years.
I have stayed in friends and family homes and have stayed in rented homes and hotels.
I don't recall anybody every questioning where I am staying.
I don't recall even needing to write it on the immigration form when I entered the country.
If they ask for an address, I would write down the address of the family you are staying with.
I doubt anybody will question you as long as you have a valid passport, a return ticket and you have enough money (or credit cards). In the last few years traveling to Europe I have never been asked if I have a return ticket or enough money.
I would not worry about this. Enjoy Spain.
And, Welcome to FT.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Just fill in the name of a hotel on your immigration form to avoid any questions or delay. For US citizens, the entire immigration process takes about 3 seconds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.