Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

BCN 2.5, SVQ 3, MAD 3? Or just Barcelona 4.5, Madrid 5?

Old Nov 15, 08, 1:15 am
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold

I'm flying into BCN and flying out of MAD in January.

I'm currently looking at a schedule where I would send 2.5 days in Barcelona, 3 in Seville, and 3 in Madrid. We've never been to Spain before.

Is that too aggresive? Should we go for 4.5 in Barcelona and 5 in Madrid?
Old Nov 15, 08, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
2.5 Barcelona (incl arrival day?), 2 Granada, 2 Sevilla, 1 Madrid would be my itinerary, yes ambitious, but Spain is easy to get around by plane or train
Old Nov 15, 08, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd do BCN 2.5, SVQ 2.5, MAD 3.5.
Madrid is one of my favourite places for just wandering around killing time.
Old Nov 16, 08, 8:13 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by graraps View Post
I'd do BCN 2.5, SVQ 2.5, MAD 3.5.
Madrid is one of my favourite places for just wandering around killing time.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Nov 21, 08, 5:01 pm

Programs: MP, SPG, Hyatt
Hi all --
My partner and I are planning to spend three weeks total in Spain in May 2009. I've never been to Spain and my partner has been only to Bilbao and San Sebastian (where we are starting our trip b/c he loved them both so much). So here's the rough outline:

Arrive in BIO late. Stay three nights there to recover from any jet lag; visit Guggenheim; and eat and drink a lot.
Travel to San Sebastian by bus or train.
Stay nights of May 4-7 in San Sebastian.

Rent car and spend two days/nights meandering through La Rioja. We'd wanted to stay both nights at the Parador de Lerma, but that Fri. night is already booked full. So will probably do either Parador de Argomaniz or Parador de Calahorra for Fri. night, or possibly visit Getaria or Hondarribia or other small town on the coast.

We'd then like to spend the next five nights in Madrid in a rented apt. Hopefully see a Real Madrid game, see a nopera at Teatro Real, at least one full day in Prado, and visits to Reina Sofia and Thyssen-Bornemisza.

Maybe one day take a day trip to Toledo? Alternatively, we've read that evenings in Toledo are much nicer. Are there late trains to get back after having dinner in Toledo? Or should we plan on spending one night in Toledo? (We're already running out of nights.)

Then the plan for Andalucia was:
2 nights Cordoba.
Then 4 nights Seville.
Then 3 nights Granada.

Difficulty is that the nicer hotels in Cordoba seem to be booked up for that Friday already as well. Maybe there is a festival? I haven't been successful at finding dates for the Courtyards Festival 2009 yet, but maybe dates have already been set. So we might go to Seville first to spend the weekend nights there, then double back to Cordoba.

My main questions -- should we swap the number of days/nights in Cordoba/Granada so that we have 3 in Cordoba and only 2 in Granada? I definitely want to spend a full day at the Alhambra, but I've read there is not much else to do in Granada. BUT I do love mountains and maybe we could hike a bit.

Or, maybe we should do just two nights in each of those cities and head for one of the hill towns, or the Parador de Jaen or Parador de Ubeda, for the one additional night?

We'll then need to find our way back to MAD for one more night in the city (or near the airport) for our flight out around noon the next day.

Advice would be very welcome -- particularly about (1) how to handle Toledo; and (2) allocation of time in Andalucia.

We mostly want to focus on architecture (esp. in Andalucia), food and drink, and paintings (me -- hence the Prado).

Thanks in advance . . . .

Search this Thread