Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Barcelona area: Castelleno beach for kite surfing?????

Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Ant experts who know where Castellano beach is from BCN, and if that is a good area for kite surfing?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I've never heard of it. Do you have any more information?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
For kite surfing, or any other kind for that matter, I think the OP probably means Castillo Beach, which is nowhere near BCN, it's on Fuerteventura.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Yeah, I don't think there's any such thing as "castellano beach". The only place anywhere near here to do kitesurfing would be the beaches of Emporia Brava, which is on the border with France.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:19 am

Empuriabrava, whre I spent my first ever holiday abroad in 1979, as a 10 years old. There wasn't much to it then, lots of freshly dug canals, not many villas, a bit of tarmac here and there, but it was cool to me.

It's a bit different now !

The other thing that came to mind was, the OP googled something like "kite surfing barcelona", and in the results descriptions, were the words 'in Castellano', as in the page was available in multiple languages, misinterpreting the meaning.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Feb 26, 2008 at 6:30 am
Old Feb 26, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: IB, KL and LH
As far as i know the beach around the delta de ebro are good for kitesurfing (that's about 150 km South of BCN).

I do see kite surfers in Castelldefels, just outside Barcelona, on windy days.

I would actually tell you to take care. A few years ago I saw how the wind blew a surfer with kite from the beach over the road and into a brick wall (200m at least). The impact killed the guy.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's an annual Kite Flying festival (competition) held on Alicante's Postiguet beach

http://www.ladipu.com/default.aspx?evento=eventosweb|eventosweb.Eventos| GetRecurso&id=4778&tipo=8

If they have one again this year, it will be the 12th.

Postiguet beach wouldn't be somewhere I'd recommend for normal kite flying though. However, my father and brother have flown stunt kites on San Juan beach (just to the North) in the winter... when it's practically deserted.

There are usually a few Kite flying festivals all over Spain. A few of them will be on beaches.

Use "festival de cometas" as a search term in Google.

I've seen 'kite boating' (if that's the term) AND kite surfing on the Mar Menor on the coast of Murcia. It's a saltwater inlet of the Mediterranean which is kind of like a lake. Depending on the day and weather conditions, you can base yourself on the Manga and use the choppier Mediterranean or the calmer Mar Menor.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:30 am

This is kite surfing LapLap, which is a bit different to kite flying.

Here's a photo
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
This is kite surfing LapLap, which is a bit different to kite flying.

Here's a photo
Perhaps you should have read on a little more
Originally Posted by LapLap
I've seen 'kite boating' (if that's the term) AND kite surfing on the Mar Menor on the coast of Murcia. It's a saltwater inlet of the Mediterranean which is kind of like a lake. Depending on the day and weather conditions, you can base yourself on the Manga and use the choppier Mediterranean or the calmer Mar Menor.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:02 am

Nice try.

The fact I may have clicked 'Post Reply' and was typing my response at the time you were editing your post to add that bit escaped your mind, right ?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
Nice try.

The fact I may have clicked 'Post Reply' and was typing my response at the time you were editing your post to add that bit escaped your mind, right ?
kite boating was still there.

Since my brother is a windsurf enthusiast I assumed the San Juan beach rec would be valid. He has both windsurfed there and flown kites. Seems a perfect spot for both outside of the summer.

The Alicante festival is the first place I ever saw kite surfing... which was being showcased that year. It was quite a few years ago, but that's why it popped in my head.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. Anyone in BCN area?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by best
Thank you all. Anyone in BCN area?
alanw & Pepijn

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.