Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
There will probably be an additional security check prior to boarding the AA flight ( or any flights to the US) at the gate area.
Just to clarify, this is an additional passport check, not security.
dascc likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Using up my Iberia miles before Dec 1 and it looks like I can take any of the following BCN - MAD flights to connect to the 12:20 MAD - JFK flight

1) 830 am BCN - MAD, 2 hour 25 minute layover
2) 930am BCN - MAD, 1 hour 25 minute layover
3) 10am BCN - MAD, 55 minute layover

Both of us are traveling on US passports and I assume we'll need to clear out of the EU when we land at MAD. I'm leaning towards #2 but am willing to do #1 if the collective wisdom of FT thinks that 1 hour and 25 minutes is too short for this connection.

Don't really care much about lounge time or anything else at MAD itself so trying to maximize sleep (in Barcelona) and minimize layover time without going into danger of missing flight territory
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Yeah, I'd go with the second option as well, but 55 is perfectly doable and you could always catch the later flight to JFK if something goes wrong but you'd almost certainly lose assigned seats.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:35 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Duke787
Using up my Iberia miles before Dec 1 and it looks like I can take any of the following BCN - MAD flights to connect to the 12:20 MAD - JFK flight

1) 830 am BCN - MAD, 2 hour 25 minute layover
2) 930am BCN - MAD, 1 hour 25 minute layover
3) 10am BCN - MAD, 55 minute layover

Both of us are traveling on US passports and I assume we'll need to clear out of the EU when we land at MAD. I'm leaning towards #2 but am willing to do #1 if the collective wisdom of FT thinks that 1 hour and 25 minutes is too short for this connection.

Don't really care much about lounge time or anything else at MAD itself so trying to maximize sleep (in Barcelona) and minimize layover time without going into danger of missing flight territory
One or separate PNR's?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
I would go with the first option - I worry about weather delays in Mad in the winter

MIGHT BE BETTER IN iBERIA THREAD?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Yeah, I'd go with the second option as well, but 55 is perfectly doable and you could always catch the later flight to JFK if something goes wrong but you'd almost certainly lose assigned seats.
Originally Posted by TWA884
One or separate PNR's?
Originally Posted by malagajohn
I would go with the first option - I worry about weather delays in Mad in the winter

MIGHT BE BETTER IN iBERIA THREAD?
Same PNR but will be connecting onwards from JFK back to RDU on a separate PNR (can't get back to RDU on the Iberia miles redemption) so definitely don't want to miss MAD - JFK flight so sounds like either #1 or #2#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Help with ATL-MAD-LIS. I have an 1:55 layover. Flying Delta, but Air Europa metal on the MAD-LIS leg. All the same itinerary and I will have checked luggage.

I completely forgot how far terminals are in MAD when I booked the ticket. I guess I will be landing at Terminal 1, which is a bit different than most of the international arrivals. Departing from Terminal 2.

Is it walkable from 1 to 2? How long? Other options?

Do I need to grab my luggage to go through customs or is it checked through to LIS?

Will I have to go back through security?

Last edited by pbiflyer; Dec 25, 2018 at 8:24 pm
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:36 am

Yes, it is walkable. T1-T2-T3 are all together, the ones that are (very) far are T4 and T4S.

You do not have to pick up your luggage in MAD.

You do have to go through security. There's plenty of time and you should be fine.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:44 am

Don't remember if there's a transfer security after immigration at T1, but regardless, you can just go landside and walk upstairs and go through security in T1 or walk over to T2. They are connected both airside and landside.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
​​​​​​I have read a fair bit of this thread and other sources but still have a question. Have a flight GIG-MAD-LHR with IB, arrives to T4S, departs from T4. I understand there is a special airside bus for this case to avoid going through immigration. The connection time is 3:30. Can we get access to some lounge?

I think Dali on T4 will be unaccessible because it is in the Schengen area. I also guess there is no lounge for H1-8 gates, and spending 3 hours there after a long-haul is no fun. Is there a way to spend a couple of hours in Velasquez in T4S and then transfer to T4 via the bus? Or does it require a boarding pass departing from T4S?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:21 pm

Can you enter Schengen? If you can I would forget about the bus and just take the train to T4 and to Dali. Immigration usually takes no time at all with EEA passports and only a little time for non-Europeans.
alien43 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Yes, as non-EU though. I suppose the immigration to the H gates will be a breeze, so I just hope it will be fast on arrival as well.

Thanks! Looks like this is the best plan we've got.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:56 am

Question 8hr MAD layover

Hoping to get confirmation on my understanding and plans below.

Flying JFK-MAD-TLV on a single ticket with an 8 hour layover in MAD on a Saturday.
I believe I will arrive, and then depart from 4S. Arriving on British Air at 08:15, departing on Iberia 16:15 - predeparture documentation show Terminal 4S for both flights
Thinking I can leave my carry-on luggage in a locker, Metro to Puerta del Sol/Plaza Major area and spend a few hours in city.
Leave city by 13:00 for my 16:15 flight.

No Visa needed (US citizen US Passport)
Will I need to clear security and immigration both leaving and returning to airport?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:03 am

Well, even with a BA flight number you will be arriving on IB metal. But yes, you should have enough time to get into the city, though I would recommend using the cercanías train rather than the metro with a change at Nuevos Ministerios to get to Sol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.