Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
You will arrive into the non-Schengen end of T4 and while there is a shuttle to T4S, I believe you need a boarding pass to get on it. Though you can always see if you can get on anyway, but that's a significant amount of going out of your way for a lounge.
Yes it is a long way out of my way, but I have an overnight layover and apparently the only 24hr lounges are in T4S non-schengen?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:33 am

enough connection time?

Flying Miami to Madrid on AA arrival 10 am at T4S then i found a connection to barcelona on iberia air T4 at 12 pm. No baggage checked just carry-on. Will this be enough time?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by skrum
Flying Miami to Madrid on AA arrival 10 am at T4S then i found a connection to barcelona on iberia air T4 at 12 pm. No baggage checked just carry-on. Will this be enough time?
Assuming your flight lands on time, you will make the connection unless there is some bottleneck at inmigración. Personally I would do a 3 hour connection to give myself more leeway.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by skrum
Extensively discussed here Guide: Madrid-Barajas Intl. Airport (MAD) - Arrival, Depart, Connect, etc.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:27 am

ORD-MAD on IB arriving T4s (7:45 AM) then MAD-PEK on CA departing from T1 (11:10 AM).
It is my understanding there is the on demand Passenger link bus that connects these two places airside so I don't have to clear Spain immigration.
What if I have checked luggage? If I cannot get IB to tag my bags onto CA flights (separate reservation/ticket), will I have to clear Spain immigration to collect my bag and recheck in with CA?
I will need Spain visa to clear immigration but would rather not to get one if not necessary (due to associated cost and time to obtain that visa).

Also, is there airside transit desk for CA flights to get my borading pass etc?

Last edited by wanymayold; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:55 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:43 am

If you have a checked bag you will need to clear immigration to retrieve it in T4 and recheck in T1.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
Hi All,

Is 115 minutes enough time to transfer from Ryan Air (T1) to Iberia (T4S)?

Flights are FR IBZ - MAD (8:35AM - 9:55AM), IB MAD - MIA (11:50AM).

We are carry on only, US Passports, two experienced travelers who move quick. Traveling with priority on FR and business class on Iberia.

I looked through the threads but haven't found this scenario. I know terminal transfers are not easy at Madrid, so I appreciate the insight.

Many thanks.

Last edited by CoHiba Gent; Sep 24, 2018 at 2:27 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Yllanes
If you have a checked bag you will need to clear immigration to retrieve it in T4 and recheck in T1.
I see. Thank you for the information.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by CoHiba Gent
Hi All,

Is 115 minutes enough time to transfer from Ryan Air (T1) to Iberia (T4S)?

Flights are FR IBZ - MAD (8:35AM - 9:55AM), IB MAD - MIA (11:50AM).

We are carry on only, US Passports, two experienced travelers who move quick. Traveling with priority on FR and business class on Iberia.

I looked through the threads but haven't found this scenario. I know terminal transfers are not easy at Madrid, so I appreciate the insight.

Many thanks.
Probably doable with hand luggage only, but extremely little room for anything to go wrong.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
T1-T4 Transfer

Probably doable with hand luggage only, but extremely little room for anything to go wrong.
Thank you LupineChemist.

I know there is an on demand bus/link (T1 - T4), but appears it can take up to 30-45 minutes and is not guaranteed to take you. Are there any updates on this bus/link and am I better off simply going airside and taking a taxi?

Update: Given the inefficiency of Ryan Air and the carry on fiasco, we decided to ship luggage home, so we will not have any luggage/carry on at all.

Last edited by CoHiba Gent; Sep 25, 2018 at 10:52 am Reason: Adding Information
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by CoHiba Gent
Thank you LupineChemist.

I know there is an on demand bus/link (T1 - T4), but appears it can take up to 30-45 minutes and is not guaranteed to take you. Are there any updates on this bus/link and am I better off simply going airside and taking a taxi?

Update: Given the inefficiency of Ryan Air and the carry on fiasco, we decided to ship luggage home, so we will not have any luggage/carry on at all.
The on-demand bus is for INT-INT connections as a way to avoid having to enter Schengen. Arriving from IBZ, you would be unable to access the bus and would have to take the landside bus to T4 and check-in there and then take the transit to T4S.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
What do folks think about flying UA to MAD, then transiting to IB for a domestic flight (and vice versa) with a 2-hour window without checked bags, on different reservations? Given the transportation situation at MAD, it doesn't seem as simply/easy as one would hope...
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
What do folks think about flying UA to MAD, then transiting to IB for a domestic flight (and vice versa) with a 2-hour window without checked bags, on different reservations? Given the transportation situation at MAD, it doesn't seem as simply/easy as one would hope...
I'd give that a 50/50 assuming everything goes right. No need to add that even a 15 or 20 minute delay or a long queue at passport control makes it untenable.

And that's as someone that knows the airport very well.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I'd give that a 50/50 assuming everything goes right. No need to add that even a 15 or 20 minute delay or a long queue at passport control makes it untenable.

And that's as someone that knows the airport very well.
Not to diverge too much - but would a similarly-timed transfer in BCN on VY instead be less risky? It appears that VY and UA are at least in the same terminal, which would eliminate the inter-terminal transfer.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AA platinum, SPG Gold
help please MAD airport

I'm travelling this week JFK (NYC) to Madrid business class on Iberia. Then I have a 3 1/2 hour layover for a separately ticketed coach Iberia ticket (Air Nostrom) from MAD to RAK Marrakesh.
Can someone please explain the process since I assume that I need to pick up my luggage and check in again as they are separately ticketed flights. From what I've read I assume that I am not eligible for Fast Track. Also, I am AA Platinum if that helps at all to use the lounge to wait for 2nd flight. Help please explaining what I need to do since I am on separate tickets. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.