Connections through Madrid Airport

Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Yllanes
There is a direct train from T4 to Atocha station (Cercanías, just beyond the Metro station at T4), which is the best way to get there (although it only runs every 30 min, so if you just miss one it can be faster to take the Metro to Nuevos Ministerios and then change to the Cercanías, but this is also more expensive). I would recommend taking the free shuttle to meet with him at T4 (a taxi within T4 and T1 is € 20, at that point you might as well take the taxi to the city for the flat fee of € 30).
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Yllanes
There is a direct train from T4 to Atocha station (Cercanías, just beyond the Metro station at T4), which is the best way to get there (although it only runs every 30 min, so if you just miss one it can be faster to take the Metro to Nuevos Ministerios and then change to the Cercanías, but this is also more expensive). I would recommend taking the free shuttle to meet with him at T4 (a taxi within T4 and T1 is € 20, at that point you might as well take the taxi to the city for the flat fee of € 30).

FWIW, the train runs 4x per hour now (though annoyingly not every 15 minutes)
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
FWIW, the train runs 4x per hour now (though annoyingly not every 15 minutes)
Is the train or taxi quicker?
And do you find the schedule on Renfe web site? I cannot figure out what the station to use is for schedules.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
And do you find the schedule on Renfe web site?
Try this: Madrid Cercanías
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyBuck
Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Is the train or taxi quicker?
And do you find the schedule on Renfe web site? I cannot figure out what the station to use is for schedules.
It depends on time of day, destination, and if you manage to just get a train or have to wait.

The days when I arrive at 8 AM or so, I'll usually get the train, aside from that I'll usually grab a taxi (well, I use cabify but same idea). I live next to Atocha so it's direct.

That said, if I were using my own money and not the company's, I'd go on the train almost every time because I don't think it's worth almost 30€ to save 20 minutes or so.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: BA, EK, SQ, MH
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I've been trying to find a data point for this service for awhile.

If you're comfortable with the time for the connection, please try and report back how it works.
Originally Posted by Palal
They will call a bus or a car for you ONLY if you cannot enter Schengen. Otherwise they'll force you to use the landside transfer.

As you'll have to go through security regardless of how you do the transfer, I don't see any advantage of doing the airside transfer as you may have to wait up to 30-45 mins airside, which will make the time savings point quite moot
Thanks guys. I think i'll fly with airEuropa instead and then connect to Easyjet as both flights will be at T1 non-Schengen so it should be easier.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:53 am

I am looking at flying BCN-MAD-ORD in October (business class). One of the options has just 1:05 connection time. It must be a legal connection as it shows on the airline website. Am I right in not feeling that this is not really enough time and I should go for a 2 hour connection?

Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:30 am

I would guess that a small airport like MPL, with few pax arriving from outside the Schengen area probably doesn't even have an on-duty customs officer a lot of the time.
Yllanes likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by mules
I am looking at flying BCN-MAD-ORD in October (business class). One of the options has just 1:05 connection time. It must be a legal connection as it shows on the airline website. Am I right in not feeling that this is not really enough time and I should go for a 2 hour connection?

Thanks.
The one hour is doable, but if it's all the same, I'd take the 2. Exit immigration can be a mess and you'll save yourself a lot of stress plus it will give you a chance to sit for a cava and an ice cream in the lounge.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:51 pm

I appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have a Iberia flight leaving from T4S at 8pm to LHR
But my Air Europa flight gets into T2 only at 6pm. Is it doable? I have a US passport and no baggage.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:20 am

Can anyone tell me if 2 hours is enough time for transiting at MAD from T4S to T1? Flying IB6274 in April, arriving and hope to catch a 9:45 flight to Milan.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by levistrauss
I have a Iberia flight leaving from T4S at 8pm to LHR
But my Air Europa flight gets into T2 only at 6pm. Is it doable? I have a US passport and no baggage.
Originally Posted by kpottermn
Can anyone tell me if 2 hours is enough time for transiting at MAD from T4S to T1? Flying IB6274 in April, arriving and hope to catch a 9:45 flight to Milan.
Are these on one ticket or two? If the latter know that you have no protection in case your late arrival causes you to miss flight two.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are these on one ticket or two? If the latter know that you have no protection in case your late arrival causes you to miss flight two.
Two tickets, and I'm aware.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.