Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Yes T1-T3 are connected airside. It's a decent walk, especially to the T1 US gates, but not too bad overall.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Yes T1-T3 are connected airside. It's a decent walk, especially to the T1 US gates, but not too bad overall.
Thanks for the quick answer!

T1 is a bit of a walk, but nothing extraordinary.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:38 am

Hi! I'm flying from non-Schengen to non-Schengen landing and departing at T4S in a couple of weeks; however, the airline tells me that I am going to have to pick up and recheck my luggage at T4. Can I get away with this without needing a Schengen transit visa?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:13 pm

IB ORD-MAD Separate ticket MAD-LIS Connection time?

Hi, Flying IB from ORD-MAD on an award ticket (the recent 50% off deal). Now we are planning on flying the same day MAD-LIS. I am contemplating booking also IB. We arrive MAD at 7:40am. The MAD-LIS flight departs at 10:10 am.

First, is this enough time to make the connection? Will we have to go through immigration in MAD?
Second, if I book the MAD-LIS flight also with IB - are we protected in case there is a delay in the ORD-MAD flight?

Thank you!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:54 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by CherylD
First, is this enough time to make the connection? Will we have to go through immigration in MAD?
Second, if I book the MAD-LIS flight also with IB - are we protected in case there is a delay in the ORD-MAD flight?
Transit time from T4S to T4 is 20-30 min (Iberia website link). If the luggage is tagged through to LIS, then that would be ideal, but I can't tell you whether they'll do that or whether they'll protect the connection... Check-in limit for luggage at T4 is 45 min before departure (if you have to recheck the bags).

Edited to add: yes, you must go through immigration at MAD.

Last edited by andreadbc; Feb 23, 2014 at 6:20 am
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Will we have to go through immigration in MAD?
Since your flights are on different PNR you will enter Europe in MAD (actually am pretty sure even if same PNR), so will have to go through Immigration.

Don't know about IB, but I believe UA (that's the airline I fly and know) would let you take a later flight, but if not elite subject to availability.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:04 pm

Thank you for the information. We will have carry-on bags only. If we have to go through immigration - will that be enough time?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:33 pm

If we have to go through immigration - will that be enough time?
Eh... yes... (You do have 2,5 hours, correct? Or are your flight times above incorrect?)
Anyway, you will have to go through immigration even if this were on one ticket. You are entering the Schengen area before you fly to LIS. So, without having to leave the transit area to pick-up your luggage and re-check it, the minimum connection time applies (55 minutes for your connection). This assuming you fly IB to LIS of course, and you don't have to change to T1, T2 or T3...

Added: if you don't check in on-line, make sure to ask IB at ORD to check you in for your flight to LIS as well.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:44 am

Thanks Koby, I am used to immigration at ORD which can take more than an hour easily (before Global Entry) and I also wasn't sure of IB's on-time performance.

I guess the main question remains - if something does go wrong and my IB ORD-MAD flight and it is delayed by more than an hour - if my next flight is also with IB - would I be covered and put on the next available flight?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:12 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
and I also wasn't sure of IB's on-time performance.

I guess the main question remains - if something does go wrong and my IB ORD-MAD flight and it is delayed by more than an hour - if my next flight is also with IB - would I be covered and put on the next available flight?
While cross posting is frowned upon at FT, I feel this question would be better answered in IB forum @:-)
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
While cross posting is frowned upon at FT, I feel this question would be better answered in IB forum @:-)
Thank you, I agree - but was a bit afraid to do so! :-) I will now.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:52 am

But to answer your question: if both tickets are on IB, you'll have to catch them on a very bad day for them not to help you if there is a delay - even if officially they don't have to.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm flying ATL-MAD on DL arriving at 8:35 am on T1 and then have a separate ticket for a
MAD-GVA on Easyjet departing at 9:50 am also from T1.

Is 75 mins enough to go through immigration, security and make the connection?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by gelizon
I'm flying ATL-MAD on DL arriving at 8:35 am on T1 and then have a separate ticket for a
MAD-GVA on Easyjet departing at 9:50 am also from T1.

Is 75 mins enough to go through immigration, security and make the connection?
Should be plenty of time so long as you don't have checked luggage. There is some sort of connection mechanism, but I've never seen it open when landing early on the DL flights. That said, you just walk out the door, go upstairs and walk through security again which is all very quick.

I would say probably too optimistic if checking as the baggage handlers at that time can take their time.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM
thanks. we will have carry on only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.