Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by pjrubindc
Will I have immigration or health check coming from Italy? How long will bags take to come our? How far from baggage claim to IB check in?
So travelers who have full vaccination no longer have to do anything. I haven't entered Spain since they dropped the QR code requirement but non-vaccinated travelers still need the form. I assume they still have the checkpoints prior to baggage claim where you will have to show your vaccine certificate (in accordance with EU standards will require a booster if your initial round was completed more than 270 days ago). If you aren't fully vaccinated according to Spanish standards, you just have to fill out a form on the Spain Travel Health app/site with your information of a PCR test at departure -72h or antigen test -24h.

Regarding luggage and location. It will depend on what airline you are arriving on. Luggage is slow in general at MAD in all terminals, but I'd say expect 30 minutes or so for a Schengen, narrowbody flight. If you land at T4 (Iberia, Vueling, Air Nostrum), then it will just be walk outside and grab the lift to the top floor and you're good to go. If you land at T1/2/3 (Air Europa, ITA, Ryanair, Wizz) [should be all the airlines that fly to Italy] then you will have to grab a shuttle bus to get to T4 that can be around 10-15 minute drive and comes around every 15 minutes I believe.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
So travelers who have full vaccination no longer have to do anything. I haven't entered Spain since they dropped the QR code requirement but non-vaccinated travelers still need the form. I assume they still have the checkpoints prior to baggage claim where you will have to show your vaccine certificate (in accordance with EU standards will require a booster if your initial round was completed more than 270 days ago). If you aren't fully vaccinated according to Spanish standards, you just have to fill out a form on the Spain Travel Health app/site with your information of a PCR test at departure -72h or antigen test -24h.
To be more precise, what matters is having an unexpired EU digital certificate. If you do, you do not need the form. I am vaccinated in the US and needed to generate the QR (and also had my vaccine cards checked) in my most recent trip. But this takes no time.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:40 am

Honestly I'd still say to keep mum. I would think the lack of a record is much less likely to mess things up than explicitly saying there's a problem. I'm happy to be corrected, though.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
After unsuccessfully trying to call Dulles CPB I fell asleep and woke up to seven missed calls from them so no, it’s definitely something that has to be sorted out. They’re having to contact anyone from the plane that didn’t have checked bags and left the airport.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:51 pm

I can't understand how that could have happened, what a disaster.

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Honestly I'd still say to keep mum. I would think the lack of a record is much less likely to mess things up than explicitly saying there's a problem. I'm happy to be corrected, though.
I imagine that the lack of an entry record would cause problems when leaving the country.

One can (and probably should) always check one's I-94 record to verify that their class (and length) of admission is correct:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
Normally, this is the same information as in the entry stamp but, for instance, in my last arrival to DFW they were not stamping passports (the arrival process at DFW is generally more streamlined, they use facial recognition technology and do not take fingerprints).
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Reposting here in the MAD thread:

Any experience how Spanish border control @ MAD would treat my wife who might overstay her 15-day Schengen visa by 4-days, before we'd attempt to board our flight back to USA? I'm an American and will be with her, this would be mid-July.

Additional details for context:
-My wife (US Permanent Resident w/a Chinese passport) received her Schengen single entry visa yesterday, but the 'Duration of Stay' reads for 15 days, which does not align with our departing/returning flights which would make our stay 19 days.
-The visa was issued by Iceland (after a lengthy processing period), which is where we will enter the Schengen zone.
-Our return flight to the US is out of Madrid on Iberia to SFO
-In between, we have to attend a wedding in Sweden and a memorial for my 93yo grandmother in France w/my aunt (her passing was after we applied for her 15-day visa, hence last minute extension).

-To remain compliant, I may still attempt to extend the visa through the Icelandic consulate, but the process was surprisingly fraught with delays and confusion (due to the VFS Global third party processing service), so I am not optimistic Icelandic consulate would approve, let alone resolve it before we depart US next week.

Question is, should I:
A) Attempt to rebook our return within the 15-day duration (which may cost $3k due to lack of close-in award availability)

B) Roll the dice and hope for a nice customs officer before our departure at MAD?

Thanks for any advice/insight!
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:51 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
I would think that the issue will arise when checking in on the first flight to Iceland, it's unlikely that they'll let her board if the visa has a shorter duration...
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:19 pm

That would normally be true, however, for the initial outbound flight to Iceland, I still have the email confirmation with original return flights (EU-->US) within 15-day duration (although those flights have since been cancelled).

This will likely be her last time needing to apply for a Schengen visa, as she will have her US Passport by the time we consider visiting the EU again.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 3:39 pm

It's extremely luck of the draw. That said, Spain is a much better choice than, say, Germany to just get the exit stamp and move on. But that said the PRC passport doesn't help matters as they are much more attuned to look with that passport (quite a few overstayers in Spain). Does she have a bunch of Schengen visas in her passport or just the one?

Regardless, for 4 days they may let it slide even if they notice, you can say something like she got sick and had to wait a couple days. I'd say it's pretty likely to not be an issue, but the question is how much are you willing to bet on that? If someone does actually care, the fine wouldn't be huge but she could get a temporary Schengen ban. In Spain I'd say an outright ban for a couple of days overstay is unlikely but you might get a fine or even if caught might get taken back and just get a talking to to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The likeliest punishment if she is caught would be a few hundred euro fine.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 11:26 pm

Thank you for the helpful info and perspective, LupineChem & Adreadbc.

This confirms what I've found across various forums, and it does seem like a roll of the dice depending on the customs officer, and I too am glad it is Spain vs other Schengen countries.

This is her first (and hopefully last) Schengen visa, but she does have several other strictly-adhered-to visa's from US, Japan, and a couple LA countries, but I agree that the PRC passport increases the chances of a closer look.

I have applied for a temporary visa extension for her with all supporting documents, as we wish to follow the rules.

Hopefully that works out and keeps things compliant.

If not, given the cost of rebooking cash flights in the thousands $$$$ in Y, versus keeping our award flights in J, it may ultimately come down to risk tolerance and luck of the draw.

Please feel free to share additional perspective and insights.

Thank you again, and pleasant travels!
Old Jun 18, 2022, 12:21 am

I mean if I were in your shoes, I would probably go for it. But you seem to clearly understand the risks involved. I would really doubt a 4 day overstay would get a ban rather than just a fine. The fine itself would be a few hundred so cheaper than changing plans.

That said, no other Schengen entries is a problem because it makes it easy for them to find the day. People who enter and exit a lot and have 50 stamps....well the officer probably won't want to look through them.

I'd still have the "she got sick" excuse ready to go.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:38 am

Went through today at around 14:30. Transit security at T4S was busy but not crazy. Non-EU immigration looked similar. There was a small line for EU e gates but it only took a minute
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:47 pm

I believe that I have found the correct answer but just want to be sure, hopefully based on others experiences. My family is flying on Iberia from LAX-MAD-LIS, they are not vaccinated, they are US citizens, it is a single PNR. The process that I believe to be accurate is since they are only connecting in MAD (2 hours), they do not need the Spanish QR code and with the recent change in Portugal, no Covid test required as of July 1st when arriving. Any other experiences with a connection through Madrid to help confirm this? Thank you
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:56 am

Can't speak to the Portuguese requirements, but correct on Spain. They check documentation when going landside so not needed for connections.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:03 pm

Just recently connected through Madrid on Iberia yesterday and again the week prior.

ARN-MAD-LIN

ORY-MAD-SFO

Zero checking or mention about vax or testing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.