Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:16 am

Flying from EWR to Madrid in United and connecting to Ibiza with Ryanair. All seems to be within terminal 1 so I’ll have to go through immigration, claim my checked bag, re-check it at the ryanair desk and then re-enter the secure area through security in order to get to my ryanair flight, correct?

I do not think I can access a lounge after my United flight in Poliaris Business but is the Priority Pass lounge in T1 accessible prior to my Ibiza flight with my PP membership?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Meola10
Flying from EWR to Madrid in United and connecting to Ibiza with Ryanair. All seems to be within terminal 1 so I’ll have to go through immigration, claim my checked bag, re-check it at the ryanair desk and then re-enter the secure area through security in order to get to my ryanair flight, correct?

I do not think I can access a lounge after my United flight in Poliaris Business but is the Priority Pass lounge in T1 accessible prior to my Ibiza flight with my PP membership?
Pretty much correct. Your flight to IBZ could be in T2 as well. T1 an T2 are connected airside and you will be able to access the T2 lounge with PP. Haven't been in a while but it's recently refurbished.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:48 am

The lines shouldn't be too bad at this point. Use the business class check in desks to get your passport check and then fast track security. Passport control has improved significantly with the automatic passport kiosks for EU citizens freeing up lots of resources.

Personally I'd say 90mins is more than enough time to be able to sit down and enjoy a couple drinks in the lounge before heading to the gate.

Though remember there can be a line to get through the US security check at the end of T4S, even in priority, so don't forget about that.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If you get there by 11AM with online check-in completed - you should be good to go. Plan on having it take you about 40 mins from the time you enter the terminal to the time you're in the lounge.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:37 am

Thanks to those above who answered my question on flying from MAD with no luggage. Wound up getting there at 10:30 for the 12:20 flight, as online check in wouldn't work (I was selected for additional screening at the gate). Had boarding pass in hand just before 11am (I wound up in the premium economy check in line, better than regular but probably missed a business desk somewhere), and yes, getting to T4S plus the added U.S. security check came to just under 40 minutes. Got to the gate right before boarding started...just in time to get my extra bag check - but my wife got to get settled in on time

Appreciate the knowledge shared!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: Continental
Flying from SFO to FRA on UA then arriving MAD on Lufthansa and need to connect to Iberia to LCG.
Is there a way to do this without having to go through security?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by hockey7711
Flying from SFO to FRA on UA then arriving MAD on Lufthansa and need to connect to Iberia to LCG.
No. You will have to get from T3 to T4. Expect it to take a fairly long time.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hockey7711
In short, no. Are you on one ticket or two? How much time do you have between flights? Is this a real connection or are you self-connecting?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:40 am

Two separate tickets, Arriving FRA on United, Flying FRA to MAD on Lufthansa. I think that arrives T2.
My brother is disabled, is there any assistance available?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:43 am
Suspended

I'm sure assistance is offered but I can't help you with that. You still have not told us how much time you have between flights, but I'm guessing you'll need more than what you have.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:00 am

We have 4 hours between flights on the outbound, and 2 hours on the return.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:18 am
Suspended

Assuming all flights are on time, outbound should be ok, return not so much. Not on time, and all bets are off...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:17 am

Okay, so T3 and T2 are basically the same. T3 is really just an extension of a pier at the north end of T2, it has no check in facilities of its own. When transferring, you'll have to find the bus stop for the transfer bus between the terminals. Madrid is a very accessible airport, so you shouldn't have issues with a chair, but obviously plan for a bit more time.

As mentioned, if on time, you're probably good on the inbound if everything is on time. It would be VERY tight without mobility issues or checked luggage on the outbound. In your case, it's just not enough.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:32 pm

My brother will be flying through Madrid next week, connecting T4S to T4 (non-schengen to non-schengen) all on one ticket (LY to AA). He's never flown alone before, so I wanted to try and walk him through the flight connection process. But I've never been to MAD
I understand there's a people mover between T4S and T4. Does he clear security in T4S or only in T4? (And is the flight connection route clearly signposted?)
Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:40 am

AA is in T4S exclusively. The only non-Schengen flights in T4 are to the UK and Ireland and even then there are boarding gates in T4S to avoid having to clear passport control.

He will do security in T4S and walk directly to the south end of the terminal (toward the green pillars). AA departs from gates S1-12 I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.