Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Connections through Madrid Airport

Connections through Madrid Airport

Hide Wikipost
Old May 1, 19, 1:23 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 19, 12, 1:33 pm

I suppose you connect from non-schengen to schengen countries when connecting from 4S to 4, correct? You didn't mentioned your origin/destination.

But you will be fine, if it's on one ticket, which I suppose. Your bags will be checked through (customs will be done at your final destination within Schengen), and boarding pass for onward flight already issued.

When landing at 4S, which is basically a long and modern building, you would have a segregated walkway down to the center of that building, and you clear immigration there (there is a transfer desk there too, just in case you missed your flight for rebooking or if you need to get your onward boarding pass, which I don't expect since you are IB to IB and it will be already issued). There are also automated passport control booths, but not sure if it is restricted to Schengen nationalities only.

Once you have passed immigration, you will walk down a few levels and an automated train will take you to 4. I remember it took 5-10 minutes. Once you are there, follow connecting signs and you will need to reclear security. There is a IB lounge available there.
Old Aug 19, 12, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (HT BD), Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Delta, BA, Alaska
More MAD connection questions from an infrequent international flyer. Ticketed by government (one govt confirmation code, different codes for UA and Iberia) RT economy EWR-MAD on UA (miles upgrade pending), connecting to Iberia MAD-XRY (Jerez Frontera, Spain). Connection times 6 hrs going, 3 hrs returning. I’m Plat with both UA and AA. Reading this thread indicates that the 3 hr connection should be sufficient.

- Will my suitcase be checked all the way through or will I need to collect and re-check it at MAD?

- Which lounges are at MAD and which would I be able to use and which do you suggest?

Thank you very much.
Old Aug 21, 12, 11:31 am

One booking reference doesn't necessarily mean you have one ticket (as 2 booking references from the airline involved wouldn't necesserily mean you have two different tickets). I guess you would have two tickets as IB and UA usually not cooperate, so this could be an issue for checking luguage through.

You will arrive at T1 (or T2, not sure, but doesn't make any difference anyway). From there it is really a trek to T4, there is a landside bus connecting the terminals which takes at least 15 minutes IIRC. Furthermore you could take the subway, again landside.

It is reported that there is a airside bus, especially for good use for nonschengen passengers which hold no Schengen Visa, and therefore need to connect airside. Maybe someone else can enlight.

But since you need to enter Schengen in MAD anyway, I believe you will pass immigration in T1/2 arrivals (get your bags there if not checked through, but your status may help to get this solved at check in in the US). Then you take airside bus or metro to T4. And then you collect your IB boarding pass at the regular check in area (and redrop your bags there). I don't think that UA can issue boarding passes for IB at your first departure point. Then you pass regular security. 3 hours seem ok to me, but again it's quite a trek. If you have time in T4 you can use the Iberia lounge.

Maybe someone else can enlight if a Nonschengen to Schengen traveller is entitled to use this mysterious airside transfer bus
Old Aug 21, 12, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (HT BD), Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Delta, BA, Alaska
Thank you Reifel.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Aug 21, 12 at 3:28 pm Reason: Did 2 minutes of research, answered my own questions regarding lounge access!
Old Aug 22, 12, 1:43 am
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by Reifel View Post
You will arrive at T1 (or T2, not sure, but doesn't make any difference anyway). From there it is really a trek to T4, there is a landside bus connecting the terminals which takes at least 15 minutes IIRC. Furthermore you could take the subway, again landside.

It is reported that there is a airside bus, especially for good use for nonschengen passengers which hold no Schengen Visa, and therefore need to connect airside. Maybe someone else can enlight.

But since you need to enter Schengen in MAD anyway, I believe you will pass immigration in T1/2 arrivals (get your bags there if not checked through, but your status may help to get this solved at check in in the US). Then you take airside bus or metro to T4. And then you collect your IB boarding pass at the regular check in area (and redrop your bags there). I don't think that UA can issue boarding passes for IB at your first departure point. Then you pass regular security. 3 hours seem ok to me, but again it's quite a trek. If you have time in T4 you can use the Iberia lounge.

Maybe someone else can enlight if a Nonschengen to Schengen traveller is entitled to use this mysterious airside transfer bus
Here's the link to the airport's page on the shuttle bus.

The airside bus doesn't seem to apply in this case (it seems to be for transfers within non-Schengen or Schengen flights).

You should take the (free) landside bus from T1 or T2 to T4 from the departures floor (exit baggage claim and go upstairs).
You could take the metro, but that would be very costly (I'd only consider it if I had a transport pass).

3 hours should be fine, good luck with your trip!
Old Aug 22, 12, 4:54 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
You might want to think twice whether to throughcheck the bags to Jerez. The old terminals are used only by airlines which don't have very little to do with Iberia, all oneworld carriers and airlines codesharing with oneworld are using T4. As a result the risk that your bags don't make it is quite high, especially considering that the terminals are quite far away (10-15 minutes by bus). However, if you throughcheck them, you will want show the bag receipts at IB checkin (wouldn't be a bad idea to doublecheck at the gate).
Old Aug 22, 12, 6:27 am

Thank you andreadbc and miikkak. Sounds like the 6 hr connection time outbound might be helpful as I’ll plan to learn the system in preparation for the 3 hr connection time when returning home. Thanks again.
Old Aug 22, 12, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by miikkak View Post
You might want to think twice whether to throughcheck the bags to Jerez. The old terminals are used only by airlines which don't have very little to do with Iberia, all oneworld carriers and airlines codesharing with oneworld are using T4. As a result the risk that your bags don't make it is quite high, especially considering that the terminals are quite far away (10-15 minutes by bus). However, if you throughcheck them, you will want show the bag receipts at IB checkin (wouldn't be a bad idea to doublecheck at the gate).
That's a good point. If you have time and not bother to trek from one Terminal to the other with your bags, then it would be a good idea to retrieve them and recheck them yourself.

That said, it seems to work. I flew with TAP from MAD to LIS and next to my check in counter was a men which arrived with IB and had his bags in transit. The girl at the check in desk had to call someone and while we were on board waiting for the last passengers to board I saw a car arriving from far away and just deposit 2-3 bags while everything else was loaded. Guess these were the bags, however better have time and better let the agent at check in know, since she seemed to coordinate that at first.
Old Jan 17, 13, 9:35 am

Another MAD Question

Quick question on JFK - MAD - BIO all on IB

There is an itinerary which allows only 1hr25min in MAD before switching planes to BIO. How is this possible? I'm assuming luggage will be checked through but that doesn't give time for switching planes or customs. Am I missing something or is this totally fine?

IB 6252 - JFK - MAD Arrives in T4S 10:10AM
IB 426 - MAD - BIO Arrives in T4 - Departs at 11:35AM
Old Jan 17, 13, 9:20 pm
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by vision20 View Post
Quick question on JFK - MAD - BIO all on IB
Originally Posted by andreadbc View Post
IB says that the Not Schengen - Schengen process takes 20-30 min so it should be OK if the incoming flight isn't delayed.
Old Jan 18, 13, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by vision20 View Post
There is an itinerary which allows only 1hr25min in MAD before switching planes to BIO. How is this possible? I'm assuming luggage will be checked through but that doesn't give time for switching planes or customs. Am I missing something or is this totally fine?
You'll have to go through immigration and security. No customs.
I agree with andreadbc, you'll be fine (same terminal, same airline, one ticket - I assume). Welcome to Europe!

If your arriving flight is delayed, IB will simply put you on the next flight to Bilbao.
Old Jan 19, 13, 10:54 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
You will be able to make it. I have connected within an hour. Not fun but doable.
Old Jan 20, 13, 9:10 am

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Connecting international-international at MAD

Planning a week in Spain in February, and simultaneously taking advantage of an excellent fare MAD-ORD-MAD ca $500 on AA to accumulate a few miles

Work schedule and fare rules require that we do the weekend MR Sat/Sun and then return Monday to the US. So we would arrive ORD- DFW-MAD at 10:20AM Monday and then return to the US MAD-DFW at 1:00PM Monday. Presumably the same plane. No checked baggage. Is there a way to stay inside security in MAD?If not, is this doable?
Old Jan 24, 13, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm flying in from ATL on Delta on this upcoming Sunday and taking the same day return flight (nonrev adventure). I have a little under 2 hours I believe. I've done some searching but most of it is connecting between other airlines. If I'm going Delta-Delta then it should just be immigrations then a security check right?
Old Jan 24, 13, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA View Post
If I'm going Delta-Delta then it should just be immigrations then a security check right?
Security check only. You have a (theoretical) non-Schengen to non-Schengen connection, and will not enter Europe.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: