Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kpottermn
Two tickets, and I'm aware.
In theory, it's fine. In practice, there's really no way to tell. Flight could be delayed, security could be hell...
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by kpottermn
Can anyone tell me if 2 hours is enough time for transiting at MAD from T4S to T1? Flying IB6274 in April, arriving and hope to catch a 9:45 flight to Milan.
Definitely not enough time with luggage. It could be very tight with hand luggage only, but theoretically doable. Understand you'd be accepting a lot of the risk.

Originally Posted by levistrauss
I have a Iberia flight leaving from T4S at 8pm to LHR
But my Air Europa flight gets into T2 only at 6pm. Is it doable? I have a US passport and no baggage.
This is also tight but probably doable assuming all is on time. Passport control tends to be not all that crowded that time of day which is where my biggest concern would be. There is little margin for delay, though.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam, StarAlliance
deleted

Last edited by UniqueDragon; Jan 14, 2018 at 9:08 am
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: JGC premier
My husband and I are flying from TNG-MAD on IB connecting to QR MAD-DOH flight on separate ticket. Both flights are supposed to arrive at terminal 4S with 2.5 hr transit time. We are non EU citizens. Is my understanding correct that 1) without any luggage, we should be able to transfer without having to go through immigration, but 2) with checked in luggage on separate connection, we would have to get out through customs/immigration, collect our luggage at the main terminal 4, and then come back to 4S?

I have multiple entry visa but my husband doesn’t. If this is the case and there is a transfer desk for QR on terminal 4S, I’m thinking of being the only one who gets out to collect our luggage and re-checking it in, while he stays within terminal 4S.

thanks in advance
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:15 am

Your assessment is correct. I would be very concerned about them not understanding the separate ticket connection at TNG. Your husband SHOULD be allowed to board, but I would try to get confirmation from Iberia and then print it out to show them at the desk so they do not deny his boarding.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Your assessment is correct. I would be very concerned about them not understanding the separate ticket connection at TNG. Your husband SHOULD be allowed to board, but I would try to get confirmation from Iberia and then print it out to show them at the desk so they do not deny his boarding.
thanks for pointing out the possible pitfall! I had not considered that. At the end of the day I guess it’s safer to get him to get a visa just in case. Might still let him stay within 4S though as he only has ruby? status on OW while I am OWE so should get access to fast track security. One last thing, given IB seems to be pretty punctual, 2.5 hours should be enough to transfer esp. with fast track security, right? TIA
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:03 am

Should be enough if everything is on time. I would expect 45 minutes or so to get the luggage, though.

Also, I believe you will have to stop by the QR desk to get the fast track stamp, but regardless security at MAD is generally pretty fast and while it can save you a couple minutes, it's not really worth waiting in line at the counter to get the fast track line.

Edit: Just realized you are rechecking, so of course you will be at the desk.
bakaneko85 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:43 pm

I'll be flying JFK-MAD, arriving MAD T1 at 11:30 a.m. I have to catch a train at Chamartin at 1:05 p.m. US passport, checked bag. Will I make it midday on a weekday?? I was planning on taking the AENA shuttle bus from T1 to T4, then Cercanias to Chamartin. Or should I not risk it and go for a cab instead?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:11 pm

That would be very tight even with a cab. Absolutely impossible getting there on public transport.
pbiflyer and TWA884 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: B6 Moasic
I've never made a connection in Madrid and I'm flying Air Europa for the first time, so I have a few questions I'm hoping to get some help. My flight is Air Europa JFK-MAD arriving at 11:30 in T1 and then Air Europa MAD-FCO in T2 at 13:25. Is this going to be enough time? I'm going to be checking a bag and traveling on US passport.

Am I going to have to go through immigration, security, etc. when changing terminals? Will Air Europa take care of my bag or am I going to have to do that? I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm going to have to do when I hit the ground. I've been reading some of the past posts here and also on trip advisor and I'm reading conflicting posts about the bag situation. Some posters say that they had to get their bags and others not.

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:20 am

I have almost the same issue with a connecting flight in Madrid. Will be arriving from Miami on Iberia flight at 7:50am with connecting Iberia 8:50am flight to Naples. Not sure if I will arrive at T4 or T4s. I will have only carry on luggage, everything else checked on to Naples. I assume I will have to go thru immigration and security. Is 1 hour enough time to accomplish that and still make my flight?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Joe33426
I've never made a connection in Madrid and I'm flying Air Europa for the first time, so I have a few questions I'm hoping to get some help. My flight is Air Europa JFK-MAD arriving at 11:30 in T1 and then Air Europa MAD-FCO in T2 at 13:25. Is this going to be enough time? I'm going to be checking a bag and traveling on US passport.

Am I going to have to go through immigration, security, etc. when changing terminals? Will Air Europa take care of my bag or am I going to have to do that? I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm going to have to do when I hit the ground. I've been reading some of the past posts here and also on trip advisor and I'm reading conflicting posts about the bag situation. Some posters say that they had to get their bags and others not.

Thanks!
Is this on one ticket or two? If one ticket, no problem at all. I have no idea about UX's through checking policy. If your bag is through checked then you will just go through passport control, and then either connection security if it's open or landside and through normal security. Terminals 1, 2 and 3 are all connected airside.

Originally Posted by Bam0822
I have almost the same issue with a connecting flight in Madrid. Will be arriving from Miami on Iberia flight at 7:50am with connecting Iberia 8:50am flight to Naples. Not sure if I will arrive at T4 or T4s. I will have only carry on luggage, everything else checked on to Naples. I assume I will have to go thru immigration and security. Is 1 hour enough time to accomplish that and still make my flight?
You will arrive at T4S. When going through passport control, you might want to see if they will let you through the express connection lane at passport control as this is certainly doable, but tight. After passport control take the lift (taking the lift vs. the escalators can easily make the difference between catching a train or missing one if it's timed just right) down to the transit level and take the train to T4 where you will follow the signs to connections and go through security up to the departures level of T4.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:26 pm

Is this on one ticket or two? If one ticket, no problem at all. I have no idea about UX's through checking policy. If your bag is through checked then you will just go through passport control, and then either connection security if it's open or landside and through normal security. Terminals 1, 2 and 3 are all connected airside..
This is under one ticket. I guess I would have to call UX to see what their through checking policy is. Is connection security quicker than normal security?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:35 pm

If one ticket, you won't have to pick up luggage.

And connection security is usually faster, just not always open. Regardless, maybe a 5 minute difference. If you have to go landside, walk to T2 first and then go through security. Usually much faster than T1 security.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:46 am

If one ticket, you won't have to pick up luggage.

And connection security is usually faster, just not always open. Regardless, maybe a 5 minute difference. If you have to go landside, walk to T2 first and then go through security. Usually much faster than T1 security.
Thanks for your help and thanks for the tip about walking to T2 to go through security, that's a huge help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.