Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAD (Madrid Airport) - questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:35 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Exclamation MAD (Madrid Airport) - questions

Im wondering if someone that knows Barajas (MAD) well can help me out with this. I will be looking to rent a locker or similar facility where I can leave one suitcase for about 2 weeks. While a left luggage facility is/was? usually a no-brainer at large airports, with all the security issues Im wondering if its still so straight forward. Does someone have the inside story on this?

Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the Western Europe Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Sorry for the mispost... I was looking for the dedicated airport fora but I guess they have been axed?
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
MAD has a dedicated left luggage facility, but unfortunately it is in a separate buidling across the road from the old terminal (T1/2/3) and a long bus or taxi ride from T4. No idea whether T4 also has a left-luggage facility, but surely you can read through the Spanish MAD web site (I don't read spanish). The left luggage facility will x-ray your bags, equivalent to the airport security inspection, and I think it was pretty expensive (10 EUR per day, but I am going from memory). I guess another option would be to use a hotel in MAD and pay them, it would probably be a lot cheaper. I know Sheraton has an official program to leave luggage with them between stays (up to 60 days) at no cost, though I suppose you have to have a room booked before/after.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.... Hmmm, this is going to be harder than I thought.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Couldn't you just check it to Madrid and not pick it up? And then say, you won't be back for 10 days and will pick it up when you return?
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Couldn't you just check it to Madrid and not pick it up? And then say, you won't be back for 10 days and will pick it up when you return?
...??? Yeah right, and risk Iberias world-class baggage handling expertise? Im already going nuts at the fact Im going to actually fly IB

Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
...??? Yeah right, and risk Iberias world-class baggage handling expertise? Im already going nuts at the fact Im going to actually fly IB
... Spanair is worse...
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:07 pm

I left some stuff in a large locker in the outside building for about a week not to long ago, and I don't think it was cheap. I may be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure there is another smaller place inside the airport proper, in a long hallway with conveyor belt walkways. Maybe towards the tube area. I could be thinking of a different airport, though.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
Originally Posted by Braindrain
... Spanair is worse...
Over 200 JK (Spanair) segments the past 6 years and never a lost or delayed bag yet. A freind of mine has flown 3 segments with them and had 1 delayed though so of course they do not have 100% success.

20 IB flights in same time period with 3 delayed, 1 time 6 days on domestic flight.

Iberia handles KL baggage at MAD. Around 10 segments with KL with 6 delayed bags the past 3 years.

Just last September my bag arrived at MAD 2 hours after my arrival with baggage tags exterior and interior with correct address. IB sent out to wrong address next day. Called 2nd day, didnt send at all. Arrived third day during only time informed my Concierge was not on duty (very typical in Spain.) He saw them on street and claimed bag but they were on the way back to airport with it. IB is a terribly incompetent airline.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:09 am

The airport website. Not as good in English but I guess you may understand Spanish.

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?pa...D1049727006353

link to map of left luggage
Spanish
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?pa...=1049727006589

English
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?ci...O=3&lang=EN_GB

ΏExiste consigna para depσsito de equipaje en el aeropuerto?

En el aeropuerto existen tres consignas, la primera en el T1, la segunda en el T2 y la tercera en el T4. Todo equipaje depositado en consigna pasa un control de rayos X, para comprobar la no existencia de elementos u objetos peligrosos en su interior.

Is there a left-luggage office at the airport?

There are three left-luggage offices at the airport: the first in T1, the second in T2 and the third in T4. All baggage left at the left-luggage office passes through an x-ray checkpoint to verify that they do not contain dangerous items or objects.

Price locker rental: all* or part of day, 2.85 € (big or small locker); two to fifteen days: large locker, 5 €; small locker 3.58 €. Warehouse after fifteen days: large locker 1.43 €; small locker, 0.72 €. Transfer to warehouse: 35.85 €. Special luggage, 3.57 €. Lost keys, 14.34 €.

There are lockers specifically designed to hold large objects such a bicycles, surf boards, etc.

Anything deposited at the left-luggage office has to go through x-ray control to check for dangerous elements or objects.

To use the left-luggage office:
- Ask for your own key at the desk. You have to identify yourself with your DNI (personal identification card) or passport
- Purchase a token from the vending machine (coins and notes accepted).
- Put your luggage through the security scanner.
- Open the locker turning the key in the indicated direction, put your luggage inside and close the door.
- Enter the token in the slot and close with the key. Keep the key, it is proof of deposit.

* All or part of a day: period between deposit time and the midnight of the same day.

· Telephone:
913 936 805

There are several 'self-storage' centers withing 10 minutes by taxi of the airport that I have heard of people renting for a monthly fee of around 50 euros as well. One is a new 5-7 story building that I have seen when taking taxi into city.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

MADflyer-- many thanks for the great information.

Felices Fiestas,
Gaucho
Old Dec 28, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Silver, EB Silver, RR Silver.
Originally Posted by MADflyer
...IB is a terribly incompetent airline.
Amen to that!

Merry christmas everybody,
RH.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
Left luggage at MAD - be aware things could change

Be aware that with the Dec 29 bombing at Terminal 4 by ETA, luggage left luggage deposits could be affected. I'm not saying they will be closed, I am saying it is a good idea to have alternate plans when this begins happening again.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 5:09 pm

Spain has suffered many years of terrorism and the location of and the security surrounding left luggage has certainly taken this into account. Sure, things could change, but probably not in a reactionary way.

The locations of the 6 huge parking structures were certainly placed at a distance to limit damage when just this sort of thing would happen.

I certainly would understand concern about this issue though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.