Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid hotel and dinner advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:21 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Madrid hotel and dinner advice

Morning,

Going to Madrid this week for a meeting and needing hotel advice.

No easy way to earn points (no Hiltons and the PH and Westin are >€300, which is a bit steep to justify), so just looking for somewhere comfortable.

My meeting is on the East side of Madrid so ideally would like to stay on that side rather than in the centre, somewhere I can find a decent place to have a pre-dinner drink and then a nice dinner.

Budget up to €200.

Also, anywhere good for lunch the following day, again on the east side of town ?

(and if anyone is free for Wednesday evening/Thursday lunchtime, would appreciate some company )

[EDIT] Is there something happening in Madrid this week ? Availability seems very poor and what's left is crazy expensive... Sol/Tryp have no free rooms out of 22 hotels in the Madrid area, and the Confortel Alcala Norte is going for €290 [/EDIT]

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Oct 23, 2006 at 10:51 am
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:51 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
A modern place which is a good compromise between luxury at high prices and a dump at bargain prices is the hotel Bauzá (calle Goya) which is usually about €150. It is an ultra modern place with smallish but comfortable rooms and a chic bar/restaurant.

I´m not sure how far east you need to be, but this place is east of the Castellana (which essentially divides the city in half) but is still very central and in a good neighborhood for your dinner/drinks.

You might try Teatriz (modern, somewhat upscale place in calle Hermosilla) for dinner and Juan Bravo 25 (very inventive tapas and convivial atmosphere) for lunch the next day. These are moderately priced places (which will seem downright cheap compared to London) where I have repeatedly had good experiences.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:48 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
dankyone,

Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately Bauza is full, like the rest of town... I have now booked the Westin at €338 as the only thing available cheaper was 'Gay Hostal' which I didn't fancy much. Would have preferred the Hyatt at nosebleed prices, but they are now full too.

Will still try out your eating choices, even though they're not quite so close anymore - look yum !

thx
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
We just stayed at the Sofitel out by the airport, it is off the 8 line. It was very nice and reasonably priced, under 100 euro.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott TE, Hhonors Dia
I also recently stayed at the Sofitel. The Novatel is next door and even less expensive, but I don't know about the room size. The Sofitel was a pleasant surprise, not up to the Westin's standards but a nice and sizable room at a very good price.

There's a large park near the hotel, which is great for jogging. During the evening there's nothing around, but there's a metro stop around the corner from the hotel that will get you downtown in a few minutes.

It's near the freeway, so a reasonable location if you need to drive somewhere outside of the city center.

With the hotel situation in Madrid, I've found this to be a reasonable alternative in some cases.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I would highly recommend that you check out the solmelia chain which has a number of fine properties in Madrid. I scored a huge room at the Tryp Ambassador for E70 on this site. Great hotel!

Edit: just saw your add'l comment - too bad about the inventory. good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.