Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Madrid: interesting or exceptional eating suggestions?

Old Feb 15, 06, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

I have done the search and did not come up with interesting info postings for Madrid. Anyone help?
Old Feb 15, 06, 6:46 pm

Michelin 2 star (I think) rated La Broche was phenomenal.
Old Feb 16, 06, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL PM, SPG-Gold,
La Terraza de Madrid has 1 Michelin star, Ferran Adria is a consultant and his most well known disciple is the chef. While different than El Bulli, it is definitely great food in great surroundings.
Old Feb 16, 06, 12:52 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I would second La Broche...be aware this is a ultra modern, tasting menu type of place. I think we had about 13 tiny courses for about EUR 100 per person (plus wine) which was exceptional value. Wine markups are minimal especially for Michelin starred place.

For creative, unusual, high quality tapas try Juana La Loca (in La Latina) or Juan Bravo 25 (in Salamanca.)
Old Feb 16, 06, 8:43 pm

House of Botin. Sobrino de Botin. Restaurant Botin. Whatever you call it. Google "Botin" and "Madrid" to find reviews. Superb dining experience, especially if you can get the basement. Reservations necessary.

There is a famous scene in Hemingway re this restaurant, I think at the ending of The Sun Also Rises, in which Hemingway states that they have the best suckling pig anywhere. I don't agree with that, but I would wholeheartedly recommend the chicken with vegetables. Much, much better than it sounds, especially with sangria.

There is also a hot chocolate and churros place somewhere, very popular for late night visits, but I didn't visit and don't know the name. Maybe some other poster will recognize it and be able to provide the name.

As to food in Spain generally, maybe a matter of tastes. I'm generally a sandwich person, very easy to please--just slap the meat or cheese between two slices of bread, please--but even then, it didn't really work for me.

Anyhow, Madrid is glorious. Spain is glorious. Hope you have a wonderful visit!
Old Feb 17, 06, 10:48 am
Original Poster

We love Botin and do it every trip.
Old Feb 22, 06, 7:49 pm

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
For more ideas on eating in Madrid, I suggest you check out the international board on www.chowhound.com -- on which several FTers also post. Note, though, that the search function is limited, so you need a little more patience. But there's a lot of great information there.

Madrid is a great city for eating - enjoy!

Buen viaje,
Michael
Old Feb 23, 06, 8:04 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
tapas !!!

It has been awhile since I was in Madrid, but going from bar to bar and munching tapas was a highlight for me.

While most people have heard of tapas, and they're available in most Spanish bars, it's not always clear to everyone how to go about finding and ordering them. Part of the problem is that the word tapas usually doesn't appear on menus or billboards, and that many bars don't adhere to the real tradition of tapas. The word tapas comes from the Spanish verb 'tapar' (which means to cover). A tapa was meant as a free snack to be placed on top of a drink to keep flies and other what-nots out. While many bars in Madrid provide a tapa with a glass of beer or wine (which in some cases is delicious and in others hardly worth eating), it's by no means the norm. More typically, going out for tapas implies ordering a plate of food called a ración, if it is to be shared among a few people, or a perhaps a canapé, which is something on a small piece of bread. Also common in tapas bars are bocadillos (or bocatas) which are sandwiches made with a bread roll or baguette.

Just about any manner of Spanish food comes in the form of tapas, and as such it's a very good way to go about trying the huge variety of Spanish dishes. Don't worry if you don't understand the menu, most tapas bars have their goods on display at the bar so you can simply point at what looks appealing to you.

http://www.softdoc.es/madrid_guide/eatingout/tapas.html
Old Feb 23, 06, 9:17 am

Likewise, it's been a few years, but I spent a lot of time in Madrid a while back and whenever I got bored of the many excellent tapas restaurants I would go to Viridiana. It was really very good indeed. Google it first and make sure it still gets good reports.
Old Feb 23, 06, 12:48 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Wingnut
Likewise, it's been a few years, but I spent a lot of time in Madrid a while back and whenever I got bored of the many excellent tapas restaurants....
to be become bored of the tapa restaurants... Nice Life !!!
Old Feb 24, 06, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
To me, the best suckling pig, and the best overall service and dining experience and best location is Paradis. It's just down the street from the Westin Palace. And the best thing is the price isn't too bad. Great all the way around.
Old Feb 25, 06, 1:02 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Since destination-specific, rather than cross-destination dining discussion, etc., moving to Destinations/Europe forum

cblaisd
Senior Moderator
Old Feb 25, 06, 4:38 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Museo Del Jamon

My youngest daughter and I had an interesting meal which was quite good at one of the 6 MUSEO DEL JAMON restaurants in Madrid last year... The one near the Plaza Mayor. http://www.museodeljamon.com/ppal.html The dining room walls were draped with hundreds of Hams and the place was packed at 2 PM for lunch. The bar was "standing room only" and had a large tapas menu posted on a wall at the end of the bar.
Old Mar 5, 06, 11:56 am
Original Poster

After trying about 20 tapas places, one of the best quality and lively was:

Casa Lucas, Casa Baja 30; T: 91365 08 04, near the Plaza Mayor on a street which has many restaurants.

Search this Thread